YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kundalini yoga and Buddhist spiritual practices
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Kundalini YogaMessage format

viru
Posted 2009-07-13 3:35 AM (#116978)
Subject: Kundalini yoga and Buddhist spiritual practices

What are the main differences between the paths "kundalini yoga" and "mindfulness"?

Kundalini yoga seems to be associated with lot of physiological changes.
Peopl talk about energy rush, visions, blasting experiences etc.

On the other hand, people who follow the path of mindfulness (present moment awareness) talk about enjoying washing dishes, cutting vegetables, smelling flowers etc.

The experiences, and lingo of these two paths seem so different.

These are my questions:

1. Will these different paths ultimately lead to the same destination/realization?
2. Is one path quicker than the other?
3. Will there be any common experiences for these paths?

Buddhist monks talk about freedom from suffering in this life. Not a lot of mysticism. But Hindu yogis mostly talk about mystic topics. Is this because Buddhist spiritual practices are limited in scope? Are they not capable of realizing the same truths that are claimed to be realized by Hindu spiritual masters?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Phil
Posted 2009-07-13 11:35 AM (#116982 - in reply to #116978)
Subject: Re: Kundalini yoga and Buddhist spiritual practices

Kundalini yoga and mindfulness are really just techniques and can be found both in Buddhism and Hinduism.

The difference is how you apply your energy.i.e.
Kundalini uses powerful tantric kriya techniques to awaken dormant energy and to bring about the siddhis (powers).
This is supposed to be a fast track approach but very dangerous as you traditionally need a guru to help you with this approach.

Mindfulness is supposed to be a safer (slower) approach and is more about stilling the mind and bringing awareness to your energy.
But to try and define a technique to a particular approach is almost impossible as there are so many way to approach a practises.
It's never about which is the best but more what you find works for you.
And you end up in the same place at the end.

Which is really the fastest? As I've not become enlightened either way I can't really say which is the fastest.

You find through the history of meditative practice in the Himalayas that there is so much cross over and intermingling that it's hard to say where an approach came from.
e.g. in Ashtanga yoga the breathing techniques come from Tibet.
viru
Posted 2009-07-15 4:12 AM (#117015 - in reply to #116982)

Hi Phil,

1. Let us say a person is a good candidate for both mindfulness meditation and kundalini yoga. Also, the person has
the availability of both mindfulness and kundalini gurus. But the person can afford to go to only one master. Which
approach should he select?

2. I agree that it is difficult to associate a technique or concept to only one tradition. But generally speaking, the
mindfulness meditation masters talk more about daily chores, and other simple things in life. Kundalini/Hindu
masters talk more about metaphysics. Why is this difference in teaching? Is it because of the level of their
realization or just a choice of the tradition?
Phil
Posted 2009-07-15 6:38 AM (#117016 - in reply to #117015)

Hi Viru,
That's a little hypothetical.
But the only way to see if an approach suits you is to do it and see if you connected with it.
Generally speaking it's the personality of a person that will find one way better than another. nothing to do with one way being better or more advanced.
If you have naturally a very deep or intense approach you will advance quickly with any approach.

In the Buddhist tradition you have a few main schools of thought e.g. the mindfulness based approach you talk of could be said to be more associated with the Mahayana (great Vehicle or wide) approach.
But the Vajrayana (Diamond Vehicle or tantric) approach is more like kundalini practice.

And again this is never so clear cut there's a lot of cross over of ideas over the course of history

From a personal view I lived in a Buddhist center for a bit and met lots of Rinpoches from lots of schools of Buddhism, but never found that I connected with it.
But a yogic Hindu approach suites me better, purely personal.
The only advice I can give is try and see what works.
Good luck!
viru
Posted 2009-07-18 2:29 PM (#117045 - in reply to #116978)

Hi Phil & Carson,

Wonderful responses.

I get that one system is not superior to other and in some cases they may actually compliment each other. That basically clarified my doubts. Thank you both very much.

callofsedona
Posted 2014-01-07 9:12 PM (#211271 - in reply to #116978)

Veteran

Nice insight! Thanks for the very great point of views.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)