YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spontaneous movements during meditation
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

Nidlo
Posted 2009-06-12 4:59 AM (#116478)
Subject: Spontaneous movements during meditation

I've been meditating for about a year. I have noticed my head starts moving by it self before, during meditation, but have stabilazed it, and just contuinied. I have thought that it might be my muscles reacting to the relaxation.

Two meditation sessions ago, I started to examine this movement, and saw what happened if I let go and let my head do the movements. The head moved in gentle circles, like the shape of an "8", varied with movement to left and right (like when we do the body language of "no"), and up and down (almost nodding like "yes").
If I let go even more, it seemed like my head moved fairly fast. I didn't want to let it go totally. Even if it was scary, and my head moved fairly fast, it felt good and kind of gentle. It helped me to relaxe.

As I've written in another post, I've been having problem finishing my meditation. After my last session I felt a gentle energy wanting to do movements of different body parts, almost to help me with the finishing. At first the movements were small, and slow. They gradually changed until I was standing up, and the energy led me to do different streching movements, like to wake my body up further. For example I was standing as holding a stringed bow, and were doing circular movements with my hands. My fingers were knocking the floor in a rythm which reminds me of when a Buddhist hits a drum. As what seemed to be a finish, my hands were put together in front of my face, and chest.
All of this happened by it self. I followed an energy, and kind of just watched it all happen. I don't know any yoga postures, it just came to me.

Though a bit starled, I felt relaxed and calm afterwards, and not at all as when trying to finish "by my self".

It scarred me to interupt the movements. I didn't know when to stop, and lost track of time. I was very late to a meeting with a person that meens alot to me... I didn't really know what to say.

Is this common? Should I let these movements happen? I've read about it, and it sounded like it could be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. If it's possible, maybe I should meditate as usual, without letting these movements happen?

Greatful for answers!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nidlo
Posted 2009-06-12 4:46 PM (#116493 - in reply to #116478)
Subject: RE: Spontaneous movements during meditation

Hi Carson.

Thanks for helping me, it means alot.

I have realized that what I'm doing is more advanced than I have thought. It seems like I either should learn more, and put more time into my meditation/yoga, or stop doing the practices.

I have alot of other hobbies, and things I love spending my time doing, and am not sure that I will be able to put as much time on this as needed.

If I'm not prepared to do this fully, maybe it's foolish to continue.

Thanks again.

Love
/N
Nidlo
Posted 2009-06-12 5:19 PM (#116495 - in reply to #116478)

I guess thats true. But I don't think that it was your post that made me feel like that. Your post just made it clearer!

I feel that maybe the practices have given me enough insight, and that it might be time to let go of them and engage my self in other things I love doing. I have noticed that other hobbies (like photographing, or dancing) can release loads of love inside me. And in some way, I think that love is all we need.

Though, just knowing that these practises exist, if you would need them, is great. And knowing that there are people willing to help, is also great

/N
Nidlo
Posted 2009-07-15 6:19 PM (#117019 - in reply to #116478)

I haven't been meditating for a month now, and am starting to notice the down sides of leaving my daily practice. It feels like it was ages ago since I meditated... I guess I miss the breaks, and the peace which my meditation gave me.

To be honest; I think I left my daily routine because I got scared of the spontateous movements, and how powerful the energy inside me seemed.

Now I'm considering to take up my practices. Though, what is making me consider not to do this is:

1. The powerful energy I felt during my last session. It scares me.

2. Enlightenment. I am scarred of enlightenment. I'm afraid that enlightenment will take me away from this world, and not let me spend time with everyone I love. I think this part scarres me the most about meditation...

3. A while before I stopped doing my practices, my meditation made me feel like I didn't care as much for what happened in my "daily life" as I used to. I got a bit apathetic and it felt like all that mattered was my practice. That scarred me... In reality I care more about what happens in my daily life, than about my meditation.

If meditation practices isn't positive for my daily life, I see no point with it. If it interferes with my daily life, thus in a negative way, I will not meditate.

Is there some way I can do my practices, without it interfering with my daily life in a negative way? I really miss the positive sides of meditating...

Thank you!
Nidlo
Posted 2009-07-16 3:20 PM (#117025 - in reply to #117019)

Hi Carson.

As always, a great answer from you!

What you are writing makes alot of sense... I guess I haven't looked at it all in that way before.

I have had a look at the links you gave me before, in this thread, and at the AYP website. If I pursue my practices, that will be the place for me to look for knowledge.

Thanks alot!

/N

Edited by Nidlo 2009-07-16 3:24 PM
Nidlo
Posted 2010-01-05 8:42 AM (#120410 - in reply to #116478)

I want to let people know that I started to explore the movements a while ago, and the energy I've written about earlier. When meditating, I let these movements go, with moderation, and see what happens. What I find is that a series of yoga exercises are happening, and that they seem to change with my training.

I guess the main thing is that these movements wasn't anything to be afraid of.

I'm thankfull for the oppirtunity to do yoga every day, it helps me to live a happier, and a more complete life. I'm also thankfull for the help I've been given from people using this forum.

Thank you!

Love
/N
Sydney
Posted 2010-01-18 9:33 PM (#120798 - in reply to #116478)
Subject: Re: Spontaneous movements during meditation

I sure enjoy getting other peoples views on yoga and meditation. The enlightment and relaxation that one gets from meditation is certainly wonderful. There is a good website at http://www.horsesfeathers.com that really goes into depth about yoga an meditation. Y'all might want to check it out.
paramagurusai
Posted 2010-02-16 11:56 AM (#121521 - in reply to #116478)

These movements are actually called 'Kundalini movements'. These occur while meditating and are supposed to be very very good and will let you know that you are advancing in your meditation. Also these movements can be initiated through a process called 'Shaktipaatham' or Power Transmission. This is initiated by a SadGuru and rare are these SadGuru's. you can find Guru's but SadGuru's are rare. SadGuru Sri Ramanananda Maharshi initiates these to people and I personally have had a marvellous experience. This is not an ADVT. I just want people to know that you can also experience the same. The advantages when you get Power Transmission are:

•Peace of mind.
•The body becomes light and cools down.
•Sharpening of mind & faculties and increasing of physical stamina.
•Ecstasy of Meditation.
•Some of the body pains and chronic diseases get cured or are reduced to a great extent.
•The clashes of thoughts in mind and their negative effects on the body get reduced or disappeared to a great extent.
•98% of the participants get divine vision & great feelings when Mahrshi does this
•Great vibrations or Kundalini Movements.

Sri Ramanananda Maharshi is visiting USA in August 2010 to provide Power Transmission. Contact me for more details or email me.

Also to know more about Maharshiji's Shaktipaatham http://www.shirdisaianugrahapeetam.com/shakthipatham.htm
Meditation & Unity
Posted 2010-05-25 2:49 AM (#123110 - in reply to #116478)

My Meditation Guru-Unity suggested staying away from "Kundalini" while performing Meditation, I
am curious to know negative effects of "Kundalini".

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)