YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

urdhva dhanurasana
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

patient@44
Posted 2009-05-25 2:34 PM (#116148)
Subject: urdhva dhanurasana

Okay, here I am again asking about backbending...

I can now do three backbends in a row only dropping to the top of my head (I usually then drop to my back and then go up again for another one or two, especially when in mysore or on my own). I can also now drop back. The thing is, I can't stand up from ud. I have tried but I end up landing on my behind, so frustrating. I can see my feet when I am in my backbend, I can rock, I can breath, but the minute I try to lift off...well, I hit the ground. I am assuming it will take a tincture of time in order to master this but...

My questions is: Is it okay to be dropping back before one can 'rise up'?

I am worried that I maybe putting the cart before the horse, so to speak.

Namaste

PS Also, for all those with Guruji in their hearts at this time, om shanti, om peace...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2009-05-26 5:17 AM (#116155 - in reply to #116148)
Subject: RE: urdhva dhanurasana

patient@44 - 2009-05-25 6:34 PM

Okay, here I am again asking about backbending...

I can now do three backbends in a row only dropping to the top of my head (I usually then drop to my back and then go up again for another one or two, especially when in mysore or on my own). I can also now drop back. The thing is, I can't stand up from ud. I have tried but I end up landing on my behind, so frustrating. I can see my feet when I am in my backbend, I can rock, I can breath, but the minute I try to lift off...well, I hit the ground. I am assuming it will take a tincture of time in order to master this but...

My questions is: Is it okay to be dropping back before one can 'rise up'?

I am worried that I maybe putting the cart before the horse, so to speak.

Namaste

PS Also, for all those with Guruji in their hearts at this time, om shanti, om peace...

Hi Carol,
I think you are ok learning to drop back before you can come back up-it's pretty universal-and, done with control, you use exactly the same muscles for either action-the only difference is eccentric contraction for the drop back(muscles contracting but getting longer), and concentric contraction for coming back up to standing (muscles getting shorter as the muscle units contract).
The only satisfactory method I've come across for learning the correct action for both movements is to use a slope and stand facing down it-or start by lying on your back for learning the movement to standing. I think it's best to start from standing, it seems to help you to learn how to come back up again.

Nick
tmarques
Posted 2009-05-29 5:00 PM (#116220 - in reply to #116155)
Subject: Re: urdhva dhanurasana

May I hijack the thread with a related question?

I can rise back from UD, but only if I "walk" towards my hands to the point where I need to lift my heels about half an inch off the floor. It works, but I'm wondering if by doing this I risk screwing up my knees.
Nick
Posted 2009-05-30 1:45 AM (#116226 - in reply to #116220)

tmarques - 2009-05-29 9:00 PM

May I hijack the thread with a related question?

I can rise back from UD, but only if I "walk" towards my hands to the point where I need to lift my heels about half an inch off the floor. It works, but I'm wondering if by doing this I risk screwing up my knees.

Hi Thyago,
Well, I can't see why lifting the heels puts any more strain on the knees, unless you lose your balance or leg alignment as you come up as a result of the higher centre of gravity which comes from the heel lifting off the floor.

Nick
patient@44
Posted 2009-05-30 10:53 AM (#116233 - in reply to #116148)

I lift my heals too, but only to get my hands closer to my feet and then I slowly press the heals back down. This action helps me get a deeper backbend and also seems to make me focus more on the action occuring in my quads...still can't manage to get up though

Now, is it good to practice this manuever daily (back muscles are a little achey) or is it better to take a day off or two? I have heard different theories regarding working through 'the discomfort' that some asanas can cause; some have told me to back off, one should not feel discomfort and others have told me that that is part of the practice, to a certain extent and that one should work through the pain...any thoughts on that one?

Also, Nick, I so appreciate your suggestions but am loathe to admit that I have yet to go try UD on a slope the reason being is that the only appropriate slope available in my neighbourhood is at the park and I find that a little to public for my liking, lots of soccer players and dog walkers about...

Carol
Nick
Posted 2009-05-30 11:20 AM (#116234 - in reply to #116233)

patient@44 - 2009-05-30 2:53 PM

I lift my heals too, but only to get my hands closer to my feet and then I slowly press the heals back down. This action helps me get a deeper backbend and also seems to make me focus more on the action occuring in my quads...still can't manage to get up though

Now, is it good to practice this manuever daily (back muscles are a little achey) or is it better to take a day off or two? I have heard different theories regarding working through 'the discomfort' that some asanas can cause; some have told me to back off, one should not feel discomfort and others have told me that that is part of the practice, to a certain extent and that one should work through the pain...any thoughts on that one?

Also, Nick, I so appreciate your suggestions but am loathe to admit that I have yet to go try UD on a slope the reason being is that the only appropriate slope available in my neighbourhood is at the park and I find that a little to public for my liking, lots of soccer players and dog walkers about...

Carol

Hi Carol,,
Yes, I can appreciate it looks a little odd.
I'd say any ache from the low back, either the muscles or the spinal joints, is an absolute no-no. A properly performed back-bend should not hyper-extend the lumbar spine, and that ache is almost universally down to hyper-extension.
If any muscles do tend to feel tight, , they should be the muscles which extend the thoracic spine, and the muscles which extend the hip joints-greater extension in these two segments is usually dictated by being able to compress the lumbar spine in an alignment which is extended, but not hyper-extended.
Having said that, this movement is a really difficult one not to hyper-extend the low back. As people drop back, they typically hinge around some part of the lumbar spine (which also means the floor is harder to reach-less control in getting there, too). Extra effort should be put in to the above actions of hip and thoracic extension to counter this.
Take care
Nick
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)