YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hot Yoga Can Be Dangerous!!!!!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

yogiwebdesigns
Posted 2009-05-22 11:57 PM (#116105)
Subject: Hot Yoga Can Be Dangerous!!!!!

If the Asana is practiced in HOT ENVIRONMENT (temperatures about 105 degrees Fahrenheit) as it is done in some styles of Yoga, the heart rate, respiration rate and blood pressure increases, though muscles expand and one can stretch the body more, this may harm the muscles. Read the full article here http://www.yogapoint.com/info/article9.htm
Top of the page Bottom of the page
yoga-addict
Posted 2009-05-23 1:09 AM (#116106 - in reply to #116105)
Subject: Re: Hot Yoga Can Be Dangerous!!!!!

Veteran

Yes, yes, we know, we've been warned many times on this forum. We're going to do our yoga in a hot environment anyway.

Posted 2009-05-23 2:09 AM (#116107 - in reply to #116105)

danger can be fun!

Posted 2009-05-23 3:52 AM (#116109 - in reply to #116105)

Wait, wait, wait - your heart rate can go up in yoga class?!? OH MY GOD! We'd all better stop doing it and go sit in an air-conditioned room looking at a candle instead. That will be much better for our hearts. We don't want any cardiovascular benefits here!!

And that stretching sure doesn't sound like a good idea either... I don't want any stretching in my yoga classes... I wanna get my body as inflexible as possible so I can fit in with everyone else in this country...

Hee.
Cyndi
Posted 2009-05-23 8:43 AM (#116110 - in reply to #116107)

Expert Yogi

dhanurasana - 2009-05-23 2:09 AM

danger can be fun!

Especially when your stoned, Me so bad,
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-05-23 12:55 PM (#116115 - in reply to #116105)

The article loses me with the idea that yoga is just relaxation. It may be that we eventually learn to relax in many of the postures, but for most people that takes alot of time. And guess what? Over time, its possible to learn how to relax in the hot room too.

The comparison to fever is a bit stupid as well. Let's reverse the comparison. Try doing the asana with a body temperature of 72 degrees. Of course, you couldn't because you would be dead. Then how is it possible to do them is a room that is heated to 72 degrees? Core body temperature and air temperature are different things.
Bay Guy
Posted 2009-05-23 3:03 PM (#116117 - in reply to #116115)

Expert Yogi

Is it more dangerous to do hot yoga or to drive a car?

... bg
amyf
Posted 2009-05-23 4:00 PM (#116118 - in reply to #116105)

Veteran

I can't or won't even begin!!! LOL LOL LOL
Cyndi
Posted 2009-05-23 4:17 PM (#116119 - in reply to #116117)

Expert Yogi

Bay Guy - 2009-05-23 3:03 PM

Is it more dangerous to do hot yoga or to drive a car?

Is that one of them thare trick questions???

Posted 2009-05-23 4:37 PM (#116120 - in reply to #116105)

what about driving a car into a hot yoga studio?
it would certainly make it hotter.
i'd only do it if i was high

Posted 2009-05-23 5:03 PM (#116121 - in reply to #116105)

You'd have to get stoned in your car - HOT BOXING!! And then do some "hot" yoga while stoned, WHILE driving the car - now THAT sounds dangerous.

Duffy, you actually clicked on the article and read it?! LOL. I think we've learned that reasoning doesn't work with these kinds of trolls - witty mocking is much better. ;)

Live dangerously!!

Posted 2009-05-23 5:37 PM (#116122 - in reply to #116105)

wait, you wanna box?
i suppose that could be hot...

Posted 2009-05-23 5:56 PM (#116123 - in reply to #116105)

That could be a hot MESS. I'd be the worst boxer ever. I've never hit anyone in my life. KICKED, sure. What about kick-boxing? Do you get to kick people in kick-boxing, or is the name just misleading me?

Posted 2009-05-23 7:19 PM (#116124 - in reply to #116105)

no.
in kick-boxing, you actually go out back, behind a supermarket or hardware store or something and just kick all the boxes they have lying around there.
at least that's how i've always done it
Cyndi
Posted 2009-05-23 9:54 PM (#116125 - in reply to #116121)

Expert Yogi

thedancingj - 2009-05-23 5:03 PM

You'd have to get stoned in your car - HOT BOXING!! And then do some "hot" yoga while stoned, WHILE driving the car - now THAT sounds dangerous.

I just learned what Hot Boxing was recently, boy did I feel dumb,

Speaking of stoned, Bikram and driving....anyone ever 'felt' stoned after Bikram and drive home?? I had an interesting time once like this...I had a flat tire on my gravel road...got my car home...it took me all freaking day to change the tire. I would drink a cup of my Jasmine Tea, fiddle with the tire, drink some more tea...fiddle with the tire thing...this went on all day and i didn't even care!!! Totally awesome! That was my stoned driving Bikram moment, LOL!!

Edited by Cyndi 2009-05-23 9:56 PM
yoga-addict
Posted 2009-05-24 2:52 PM (#116132 - in reply to #116105)

Veteran

It sounds like it should be a joke- what's the difference between doing hot yoga and driving a car?
Answer: When you drive the car, you sit on your ass, when you do hot yoga you sit on your asana.
Har har har..
or when you drive the car you use electric lights, when you do hot yoga you use electrolytes
or...
When you drvie the car, your towels are still dry...
hmmmmm...
yogiwebdesigns
Posted 2009-05-24 6:32 PM (#116135 - in reply to #116105)

Thank you for everyone's response!

To my understanding "Bikram Yoga" should not even be called YOGA but a fitness program which can again be questioned if it is a safe fitness program.

I'm just wondering do you guys do pranayamas too in that hot room or just asanas? If yes, then I'll again question what kind of air you breath in????

Edited by yogiwebdesigns 2009-05-24 6:33 PM
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-05-24 9:15 PM (#116136 - in reply to #116135)

YWD:

Before you condemn it as being unsafe, and not really yoga, why not consider trying a class and doing it with an open mind?
Jar
Posted 2009-05-25 12:44 AM (#116137 - in reply to #116135)

Regular

yogiwebdesigns - 2009-05-24 3:32 PM
I'm just wondering do you guys do pranayamas too in that hot room or just asanas? If yes, then I'll again question what kind of air you breath in????

So by your own admission you don't really know anything about it and you've already made your own judgments about it.

And you didn't just form these judgments for your own use but had to share them with people who do practice this method.

Interesting business practice, cant see how that helps attract customers

Edited by Jar 2009-05-25 12:45 AM

Posted 2009-05-25 1:42 AM (#116139 - in reply to #116105)

dude doesn't need to worry about marketing to bikram yoga studios...
sells itself, you know?
and with the moratorium on new studios, it's not like any new ones need new websites.
maybe he's hoping to appeal to all the bikram haters out there.
in the hopes that the website designs will increase their market share?
SoCal
Posted 2009-05-25 5:13 AM (#116140 - in reply to #116105)

there's moratorium on new studios?
yogiwebdesigns
Posted 2009-05-25 3:41 PM (#116149 - in reply to #116136)

Duffy Pratt - 2009-05-24 9:15 PM

YWD:

Before you condemn it as being unsafe, and not really yoga, why not consider trying a class and doing it with an open mind?

I did try one introduction class and did not like doing Yoga in that Hot temperature. In fact, I over stretched myself. There was no Pranayama done in that class so wasn't sure if you do not do at all in Bikrams class.

And guys its not about designing websites or attracting customers. I'm not attracting any customers by raising my concern about doing yoga in a Hot room on this Forum

To my understanding Yoga was invented to clean the mind and body so that we can experience the higher consciousness and I do not feel that Hot yoga leads to that path. It may be just me, people on this forum may not be after that experience but I still feel that safety is a concern which seems to be debatable. I am not a master or intend to preach here. I just read that article and thought its worth sharing it. I hope people won't take it personally.

Namaste & God bless!
Sati Suloshana
Posted 2009-05-25 4:20 PM (#116151 - in reply to #116149)

Personally I don't agree with the idea of heating the room beyond what is comfortable for the body. I prefer to focus on the breathing and the asanas and the alignment and the work rather than on how hot I am. I do agree, Bikram style practice and practicing yoga in an overheated room could be dangerous for some people. That's why I don't go to Bikram studios & don't recommend them. And yes I did try it once. If you really really need to become more flexible, and don't mind the heat very much, it could be just the thing for you. I am already quite flexible, myself.

Posted 2009-05-25 10:01 PM (#116152 - in reply to #116149)

Ok, ok... YWD does appear to be sweet and well-intentioned, so I will give a more complete response...

yogiwebdesigns - 2009-05-25 12:41 PM

I did try one introduction class and did not like doing Yoga in that Hot temperature. In fact, I over stretched myself. There was no Pranayama done in that class so wasn't sure if you do not do at all in Bikrams class.

Yep, we do a long Pranayama breathing exercise at the beginning of class, and we close with another breathing exercise. It is one of the most important parts of the class. It really oxygenates your blood, prepares your body for action, and helps your body learn to breathe deeply and fully in the hot room.

To my understanding Yoga was invented to clean the mind and body so that we can experience the higher consciousness and I do not feel that Hot yoga leads to that path.

Disagree!!! I have been practicing Bikram yoga for years, and I've found that this is PRECISELY the intent of the class. It is a rigorous class, yes, but the purpose is to heal the body from the inside out, to fully exercise it from the bones to the skin, so that once the body is in good condition, the mind can improve as well. Bikram is from a very physical lineage of yoga where they believe that you must clean the body first, then you can learn to clean your mind, and then once the body and mind are healthy and in harmony, you can "knock on the door of the spirit."

The reason why we Bikram yogis get a bit tired of people writing articles and posts about how dangerous hot yoga is that it is just misinformation. Articles such as the one you posted are ALWAYS are based on questionable theoretical arguments with NO experimental evidence. In other words, I have seen PLENTY of articles describing how dangerous Bikram yoga is, but I've never seen ONE article supplying evidence of people who actually came some Bikram yoga classes, learned a bit about the system, and then did some horrible damage to their bodies. Plenty of rhetoric, but no proof. If hot yoga is so dangerous, where are all the casualties?

On the other hands, there are hundreds and thousands of testimonials from people who have dramatically improved their health and well-being through Bikram yoga. And these are people who I've MET, who I see in my classes every single day. These are real, normal, intelligent, healthy people. Bikram makes plenty of good arguments about the science of doing yoga in the hot room and why it works, and UNLIKE his detractors, he has the evidence to back his claims up: his students are healthy.

People can "debate" all they like, but the fact is that one side has solid evidence and one does not, so from a scientific point of view, I don't consider this a real debate.

There are soooo many people who go around making claims about Bikram yoga after only taking one class, or after taking a "hot" yoga class that bears little or no resemblance to Bikram. To me, this is like trying to publish a review of a book after only reading the FIRST sentence. You still have NO idea what the book is really about! How could you? You haven't studied it, you haven't even turned the first page yet...

I hope this may clear up a few misconceptions. This isn't a full argument, by any means, but if you are interested in the topic I would strongly encourage you to research a little more! Check out some of Bikram's articles, get one of his books from the library, read some student testimonials, or best of all... TAKE A CLASS! Not just one, but a FEW. At least a week. That's the best way to get an idea of what this yoga is really about.
amyf
Posted 2009-05-26 9:26 AM (#116157 - in reply to #116105)

Veteran

Here here thedancingj!!!! I really can't even begin to tell you how this practice has changed my life!!!! My mind id quiet and calm and peaceful. I Laugh more, worry less and am more in tune w/ my body's needs. That too is only the TIP of the burge. It SAVED my broken hip, lowered my thyroid meds ( by A LOT ), corrected my hypoglycemia, brought up my estrogen levels to norm, keeps my IBS in check........need I go on ( because I can LOL ) The long and the short is this.. not every path is meant for every person. We are ALL diff. You feel it is not you... OK, it is pretty egotistical though to think that must mean it is not for EVERYONE ( don't you think? )
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)