YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A scary feeling during meditation
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

ThWolf
Posted 2009-05-14 12:02 PM (#115936)
Subject: A scary feeling during meditation

Hello,

I'm new to meditation, never tried it before.
I've tried using Brain sync - deep learning by Kelly Howell today (I think it has something to do with theta waves), and after several minutes I started feeling like some parts of my face are numb. There were also some sort of vibrations in those same parts.
After a while it started spreading to my back, and then chest. I tried to ignore it at first but it scared me so I immediately stopped. That feeling stopped only a few minutes after I lied in my bed trying to relax. That feeling was also in my eyes and my sight was affected as a result. For someone that knows nothing about meditation it was really scary.

My question is, was that thing normal? Should I continue trying to meditate?

Another question - can someone explain all those brain waves - alpha, theta? Explain what they mean and what every wave's job is, etc?

Thank you very much in advance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-05-14 12:42 PM (#115939 - in reply to #115936)
Subject: RE: A scary feeling during meditation

Brain waves (a superficial overview):

Beta - 14-30 Hz - Alert, Engaged in work, active "Thinking", reason

Alpha - 9-13 Hz - Relaxed, Self-introspection, creativity, intuition

Theta - 4-8 Hz - Deep meditation, between awake/asleep, bridge to subconscious, "visions" or hallucinations similar to dreaming occur

Delta - 1-3 Hz - Unconsciousness, Very deep dreamless sleep

ThWolf
Posted 2009-05-14 2:53 PM (#115940 - in reply to #115936)

Okay, but what about the feeling I experienced during the meditation, or what was an attempt to meditate?

Posted 2009-05-14 4:13 PM (#115945 - in reply to #115940)

If you want to learn to meditate, start with something simple like sitting comfortably, but erect (your spine) and with closed eyes, gently breathe in and out, relaxing and concentrating on and internally watching your breath. If thoughts arise, don't repress them, but also don't hold on to them. Just let them appear and disappear like the bubbles in a glass of champagne or soda. If you want to continue and get a little deeper or more complex with it, find a teacher with whom you can study, one on one.
ThWolf
Posted 2009-05-15 7:02 AM (#115967 - in reply to #115945)

jimg - 2009-05-14 11:13 PM

If you want to learn to meditate, start with something simple like sitting comfortably, but erect (your spine) and with closed eyes, gently breathe in and out, relaxing and concentrating on and internally watching your breath. If thoughts arise, don't repress them, but also don't hold on to them. Just let them appear and disappear like the bubbles in a glass of champagne or soda. If you want to continue and get a little deeper or more complex with it, find a teacher with whom you can study, one on one.

Should I use meditation sounds? Because if I don't thoughts arise, like you said, and its hard not holding on to them. I don't mean sounds like those frequencies like in Deep learning, but relaxation sounds like a waterfall and that sort.
ThWolf
Posted 2009-05-15 8:01 AM (#115969 - in reply to #115936)
Subject: Re: A scary feeling during meditation

Also, you still haven't told me what that feeling was.
Nidlo
Posted 2009-05-15 3:04 PM (#115978 - in reply to #115969)
Subject: Re: A scary feeling during meditation

I can't tell you anything in particular about that feeling of numbness. But if you feel very uncomfortable with something in your meditation, you should be careful.

Meditation should be a pleasant experience, and you don't need to push your body until it hurts, or is harmful. If you want to learn to meditate, start simple and easy, in a way that you can handle. For example like jimg discriebed:

jimg - 2009-05-14 9:13 PM

If you want to learn to meditate, start with something simple like sitting comfortably, but erect (your spine) and with closed eyes, gently breathe in and out, relaxing and concentrating on and internally watching your breath. If thoughts arise, don't repress them, but also don't hold on to them. Just let them appear and disappear like the bubbles in a glass of champagne or soda.

It's possible to learn to meditate on your own, without a teacher. But if you do, you should be careful and know what you are doing. Meditation is only worth it if it do you good.

Good luck!

Edited by Nidlo 2009-05-15 3:05 PM

Posted 2009-05-15 3:05 PM (#115979 - in reply to #115967)

ThWolf - 2009-05-15 4:02 AM

Should I use meditation sounds? Because if I don't thoughts arise, like you said, and its hard not holding on to them. I don't mean sounds like those frequencies like in Deep learning, but relaxation sounds like a waterfall and that sort.

Using sounds to relax for meditation is fine if it works for you. You don't want to repress your thoughts, you just want to acknowledge them and let them go. An important part of learning to meditate is to learn to accept your thoughts, but not hold on to them. It is a skill that can be learned with practice. This will increase your focus, your relaxation and also help you learn to not be so controlled by your memory (past) and allow your mind to experience the present. Insights into many things happen as a result.

Many people live in their thoughts most of the time. Your thoughts are the past. They are memories. They are useful tools, but if you are only experiencing your memory and not what is happening in the present moment, you are missing out on a lot of the actual reality that is unfolding within you and all around you. Meditation is a way of refining your awareness. Awareness of your mind, your body, your sensations, your feelings, your memory, your environment, etc etc etc. Awareness is quietly observing what actually is, without belief or identification, comment or classification, condemnation or justification. Awareness is in the present moment.

Your "scary feeling" sounds like fear, possibly fear of the unknown, but I don't and cannot know what it was or whether it was physical, mental, emotional or a combination. Don't try to get anywhere or achieve anything with meditation. Just breathe, relax and observe. Self knowledge will happen.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)