YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do I finish my meditation sessions gently?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

Nidlo
Posted 2009-05-09 9:14 AM (#115835)
Subject: How do I finish my meditation sessions gently?

What I do when finishing my meditation is:

1. Wait for about two minutes before opening my eyes, and while waiting I tense and relax my body, part by part.

2. I slowly get up from seiza (a way of sitting on the floor, I use a bench) and lay down on the floor or bed.

3. While lying down I do some gentle movements with my arms and feet.

4. After a few minutes I sit up and massage my neck, shoulder, and head. This wake them up, and releases possible tension.

My finishing takes about ten minutes.

Despite this, I often feel a rush of blood to parts of my body, specially the head. This makes me a bit dizzy, and is not a good experience after a pleasant meditation.

Is it bad, or unhealthy to get these rushes of blood every day? Do you have any suggestions how to finish more gently?

Oz, you have already given me some great feedback on this. I would like to see what others have to say also

Here is what you wrote before:

Oz1 - 2009-04-15 8:26 PM

Finishing your meditation: A great way is to direct your awareness at your body. Feel your relaxation for a minute, how heavy your are against the chair/floor. Then do a couple of gentle muscle contractions of your calves or your fists, and sense how they are waking up, and how they relax when you let go of the tension. The tense-relax is a component of progressive relaxation, which is nice to use during meditation if you feel tense - there's a script on my website. I sometimes use it during my meditation, especially in the beginning, because my days tend to be hectic and I want to calm my mind through my body. Mind-body feedback.

Personally, I like to finish my meditation by looking out the window for a minute and see the trees, perhaps a bird, the people or whatever is out there, look at my family photos, and just smile and wish them all well. It makes me want to be amongst them and not just meditate all day!

Edited by Nidlo 2009-05-09 9:17 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nidlo
Posted 2009-05-10 8:56 PM (#115851 - in reply to #115835)
Subject: Re: How do I finish my meditation sessions gently?

I have noticed that I naturaly feel thankful after meditating. So to thank God when finished is close at hand.

Maybe I do to much physical movement directly after my practise. To lay down in savasana is a good idea. The relaxation savasana would bring me could replace my massage of neck and shoulder.

Though, if I performed savasana after finishing, I might keep going deeper into the meditation. This could make it more difficult to "wake up" and start using my body again. Have you noticed similar, Carson?

Thanks!

Posted 2009-05-10 9:15 PM (#115852 - in reply to #115835)
Subject: RE: How do I finish my meditation sessions gently?

Nidlo,
Exactly when do you feel the blood rush and dizzyness? Dizzyness is usually caused by either an inner ear problem or not enough blood to the brain. During deep relaxation (such as meditation) your blood pressure and heart rate go way down. Try to get both back to normal before getting up or doing too much movement. Also, when you relax deeply, your capillaries relax and more blood flows to the surface of your body (which is why many people feel cold in deep relaxation) and you lose more body heat. Try to slowly get everything back to "normal" before getting on with things. You could take your pulse and/or blood pressure before meditating and then again immediately after and then see how long it takes to get it back to your "normal." It may just take your unique body more than ten minutes to re-adjust. Try some other routines immediately after (like remaining sitting and doing a couple of gentle twists, arm, shoulder and neck stretches instead of laying down). See what happens. My guess is that either your routine needs changing or you need to get your blood pressure checked out.
jimg
Nidlo
Posted 2009-05-13 3:38 PM (#115910 - in reply to #115851)

Thanks both of you, for great answers

jimg - 2009-05-11 2:15 AM

Exactly when do you feel the blood rush and dizzyness?

When I start to move parts of my body, or change position, directly after the meditation is done.

It feels like the blood is being pressed out in my veins, at high speed. My heart rate go up, almost like when you are working out, and goes back to normal after maybe 15 heart beats.

I think I need to change my routine and get my body back to normal slower. I have noticed that when I take it slower after the session, I don't feel the same blood rush. It would suprise me if something is wrong with my blood pressure. Thanks for your concern!

CarsonZi - 2009-05-11 7:25 PM

What style of meditation are you practicing?

I'm not really practicing any particular style. I'm inspired by different ones

One negative thing about meditating by yourself is that you have noone to guide you. It works fine for me, but it's harder to find answers to questions like this.

Interesting, Carson, that you seem to give the body what it needs after the meditation. For example sleep for two hours as you mentioned. I've never looked at it this way. I would fear falling asleep after my meditation. Maybe I should listen more to what my body needs. If my body tells me to rest after meditation, maybe I should let it.

I will try to find a good routine where rest is included. It's always easier when you know what you are going to do, and why.

The hard part is that if I stay in my seiza to rest, I will probably get the blood rush after the rest, since I haven't moved. On the other hand, if I lay down directly after, I get the rush of blood. Maybe I should stay in my seiza, while slowly getting my body back to normal. I think this will take some trying and practice!
Nidlo
Posted 2009-05-14 3:05 PM (#115941 - in reply to #115910)

CarsonZi - 2009-05-13 8:56 PM

I think you have a good handle on things.

You can always hope

So it's not normal to feel a blood rush after your meditation? If you would lay down directly after, or sit down at a bed, would you not get a blood rush?

Maybe I should check it out... just in case.

Much love, my friend!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)