YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

mantra meditation questions--seeking for answers!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

lifelongpractice
Posted 2009-05-06 5:13 AM (#115735)
Subject: mantra meditation questions--seeking for answers!

dear all

I just started to practice yoga for one month and mantra meditation for barely a week, however, I do felt something that I am not sure what are the answers:

1) When started repeating “haribol nitai gaur”, I started to dance, which I can clearly “see” how it is but I am like an observer instead of the actual dancer, is it normal? Will it happen all the time? Or just at the initial stage?

2) My body starts to do yoga postures automatically—I can control it, if I want it to stop, I can. But it bothers me—how does it happen? Will it do me good? It

3) I saw some vibration and light during mantra meditation (with my eye mask on), sometimes it is in a shape of round circle, and I felt a little bit scaried, so I talked myself out of it. What will I see if I continue “IN”?

4) I am planning to get pregnant, will it still be good practicing meditation regularly (even during pregnancy?)

please give me your precious answers!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lifelongpractice
Posted 2009-05-06 11:17 PM (#115761 - in reply to #115735)
Subject: RE: mantra meditation questions--seeking for answers!

thank you so much for your replies! I am so released and will continue practicing and looking forward to more surprises and happyness ahead!
bobmarshall
Posted 2009-05-08 6:45 AM (#115802 - in reply to #115735)

CarsonZi

Hi CarsonZi,

Starting point is the essence of success for every new course and so is it for the meditation courses. Once the correct starting point is identified and adopted the rest of the course automatically falls in place. Techniques are of course necessary. For instance a person getting involved in meditation may adopt the remote viewing techniques. Improvisation with such adopted techniques is always possible as it is possible to bring back the train to track even if it is derailed. Nothing however is possible without the learner starting at the right point. Thanks a lot for sharing your wonderful pointers over meditation...
Oz1
Posted 2009-05-08 5:22 PM (#115817 - in reply to #115735)
Subject: Re: mantra meditation questions--seeking for answers!

I have a few comments... The aim of meditation is not inner silence, perhaps so for mantra meditation but not for mindfulness meditation, which is about observing all that goes on, all the mantras coming and going. So, in regards to 3) and what you will see, there's no way of knowing unless you just continue meditating. The essence of all meditation is compassion - to alleviate distress. Do not be alarmed by anything, do not take any sight, sound, phrase - any mantra whatsoever - at face value. It is just a part of your awareness, and it goes away if you let it go. Mantra meditation, unfortunately, tends to reinforce the purpose-ridden, attached human nature.

Fear is the most attached, mantra-based emotion. Love is the most accepting, detached emotion, and love in action is the essence of compassion. Just think of your yoga and meditation practice as ways to show love for yourself and, in the future, for the little child you will be carrying. Compassion must be at the core of your practice, at the core of any mantra you perceive, as compassion is the source of happiness.
kulkarnn
Posted 2009-05-09 9:11 AM (#115834 - in reply to #115735)

Dear llp: My response to you is: there is nothing negative or troublesome that you are facing due to your practice. So, continue it for a long long time and then you might get better insight yourself.

lifelongpractice - 2009-05-06 5:13 AM

dear all

I just started to practice yoga for one month and mantra meditation for barely a week, however, I do felt something that I am not sure what are the answers:

1) When started repeating “haribol nitai gaur”, I started to dance, which I can clearly “see” how it is but I am like an observer instead of the actual dancer, is it normal? Will it happen all the time? Or just at the initial stage?

2) My body starts to do yoga postures automatically—I can control it, if I want it to stop, I can. But it bothers me—how does it happen? Will it do me good? It

3) I saw some vibration and light during mantra meditation (with my eye mask on), sometimes it is in a shape of round circle, and I felt a little bit scaried, so I talked myself out of it. What will I see if I continue “IN”?

4) I am planning to get pregnant, will it still be good practicing meditation regularly (even during pregnancy?)

please give me your precious answers!
lifelongpractice
Posted 2009-05-12 1:04 AM (#115868 - in reply to #115735)

Dear All:

thanks for all the insights and comments. I was just confused a bit since all came very fast, I thought you need to practice for a long time then all of sudden you can feel something different. But on my own case, it all came very quickly and now I just started to enjoy it. The scary feeling I am having some time during meditation is mainly because I read a guide book for meditation and it mentioned that some people will see some horrible scence or have confused picture in mind, is that true? I haven't encountered anything horrible, but this warning makes me a little bit uneasy.
lifelongpractice
Posted 2009-05-31 4:43 AM (#116240 - in reply to #115735)

recently I don't feel too much improvement though practicing everyday, both in asana and medication. I am practicing it almost everyday (except i was too late or tired from work), for the first month I feel very much improved, but now it seems like routine without significant progress. Can anyone explain this to me? What can I do to be better?
tourist
Posted 2009-05-31 11:12 AM (#116246 - in reply to #116240)

Expert Yogi

Well, I would love to quote Patanjali or the Gita - each of those texts have wise and pithy things to say about this - but I'm having my Sunday morning coffee and I'm not going to look them up. Maybe someone who carries chapters and verses in their head can help out.

Basically, in plain language, that's the way it works. Practice (of ANYTHING) is like that. Some days are great and you "progress" (whatever that is) and some days/weeks/years are not so fruitful. It is how you handle those times, not what you get from it, that is important. Ironically perhaps, most of the people I know who have had down times in their practices have found that ultimately they have learned a great deal during that time.
lifelongpractice
Posted 2009-05-31 10:38 PM (#116254 - in reply to #116246)

Another thing is about weight, I used to go to gym regularly before practicing Yoga. Now that I've decided to practice yoga regularly, I stopped gym excercise, I think I am gaining like 2-3kg these few months (with no change of diet), is that normal? to keep fit, shall i continue excercising in gym?
lifelongpractice
Posted 2009-06-02 9:58 PM (#116297 - in reply to #116254)

Thanks Carson, I guess I am in between of changes, it is my brain that is struggling with letting go of the old "me" and building up a new one (including a new body and new habit in daily life). It takes time to get used to the new practice and I am glad that I am on my way.
AnmolMehta
Posted 2009-06-07 12:55 AM (#116384 - in reply to #115735)

There is a great thread here about such meditative and kundalini experiences that can offer you a lot of information as well...

Kundalini Awakening Symptoms

Edited by AnmolMehta 2009-06-07 12:58 AM
lifelongpractice
Posted 2009-06-23 12:49 AM (#116616 - in reply to #116384)

I read it, it did explain all the syptoms I am having and some I haven't experienced yet. Thanks, very helpful.

Posted 2009-06-23 12:53 PM (#116630 - in reply to #116254)

lifelongpractice - 2009-05-31 7:38 PM

Another thing is about weight, I used to go to gym regularly before practicing Yoga. Now that I've decided to practice yoga regularly, I stopped gym excercise, I think I am gaining like 2-3kg these few months (with no change of diet), is that normal? to keep fit, shall i continue excercising in gym?

Since you are no longer burning the calories that you used to burn at the gym and consuming the same number of calories ("no change of diet"), you will gain weight. If you want to remain the same weight as before, you must either cut the calorie intake or burn more through activity (at the gym or elsewhere).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)