YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do I know if I'm meditating correctly?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

rae rae
Posted 2009-04-16 2:19 PM (#115438)
Subject: How do I know if I'm meditating correctly?

I've been trying to meditate for some time now. Sometimes in my yoga practice and others with just my mala beads. My yoga instructor told me to repeat "OM" rather than a long mantra, until I feel it vibrate in my jaw and neck. I've been attempting this practice but get easily distracted by feeling silly. Any advice?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nidlo
Posted 2009-04-18 7:07 PM (#115476 - in reply to #115438)
Subject: RE: How do I know if I'm meditating correctly?

There is nothing strange in feeling silly when trying out new things. Performing dance, doing yoga, and meditate are example of practises with postures that might feel silly in the beginning. It takes a while to get used to them.

When the feeling of silliness comes to you during the meditation, don't push it away. Examine it! Let it in. Don't judge it as "bad", "scarry", or "good". See it for what it is. Answer questions like: Why do you feel silly? Where does the feeling come from? How is it like to feel silly some time? Don't try to answer the questions with words in your mind. Get an understanding of them, more like: "Aha, this is how it is to feel silly!"

Notice how liberating it is to be able to feel silly sometimes, and what a remarcable feeling it is.

If you keep getting distracted in your meditation, don't worry! Meditation is a great way of learning how to be aware, focused, and not to get distracted. Simply by keep meditating, you will learn how to deal with it. Soon enough it won't even be a distraction anymore.

Keep meditating, and you will solve this I'm sure
Miriam
Posted 2009-04-26 12:21 AM (#115552 - in reply to #115438)
Subject: Re: How do I know if I'm meditating correctly?

I agree with both Carson & Nidlo. Sometimes we find that a meditative practice just doesn't suit us, and it might be helpful to explore other techniques. However, if you're feeling self-conscious, I agree with Nidlo that you need to examine why. The one thing I love about chanting as a form of meditation is the feeling the sound makes in my body - the resonating - & I try to notice which chakras are involved (you could experiment chanting Om to different notes). If you're having difficult with the specific mantra, try another easy one, such as Ham-sah.

Namaste,

Miriam

www.miriamverhaar.ca
novicemed21
Posted 2009-07-08 8:37 AM (#116912 - in reply to #115438)
Subject: RE: How do I know if I'm meditating correctly?

This question reflects the goal-oriented perfectionist in each of us, who monitors our activities to make sure we’re doing them right. The great thing about meditation is that you can’t do it wrong, short of not doing it at all.

When you meditate, just set aside the perfectionist (as much as you can) and keep gently returning to your focus in the here and now. The experiences that may arise as you meditate — sleepiness, busy thoughts, physical discomfort, restlessness, deep emotion — don’t indicate that you’re going astray. Quite the contrary, they’re the grist for the mill of your meditation, the old habits and patterns that get transformed as you deepen your practice.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)