YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jumping thru
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

China Butterfly
Posted 2009-04-13 12:53 AM (#115338)
Subject: Jumping thru

First of all, any experienced yogi can tell me how to judge if jumping thru possible for me, as i always think my short arms make it impossible!

If your answer for above is positive, please suggest how to do it, i consider myself have enough shoulder strenth, core strenth, but i just dont feel the pose, especially for jumping thru back

thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tmarques
Posted 2009-04-14 11:11 AM (#115368 - in reply to #115338)
Subject: RE: Jumping thru

I think you'd have to have REALLY short arms for that to be an impediment.

I had a teacher who jumped through with his legs straight, no flexing of the knees, and I don't remember him having bizarrely long arms. It was beautiful to watch, but to this day I have no idea how it's done.
China Butterfly
Posted 2009-04-15 6:28 AM (#115400 - in reply to #115338)
Subject: Re: Jumping thru

Veteran,

Thanks for your reply. Actually it's easier to jump with straight legs, even i can do it. But i want to jump thru with legs crossed, that's the troditional pose in Ashtanga

Cheers
tmarques
Posted 2009-04-15 10:40 AM (#115407 - in reply to #115338)

Goes to show how different everyone's experience is. I got the jumping through with legs crossed on my first try, but legs straight seems absolutely impossible to me.
patient@44
Posted 2009-04-15 2:08 PM (#115415 - in reply to #115407)

Me too! I find the straight leg jump through incredibly impressive but for me nearly impossible and I have relatively long arms. After taking a workshop that broke down the steps for jumping through with crossed legs I began by just jumping to just behind my hands with crossed legs, then slowly jumping between my hands (all with control, meaning slowly and trying to keep the weight forward on my hands while keeping my shoulders 'elevated' not collapsed) then slowly through my hands, till I was one day able to jump through crossed then straighten while still 'up' then set my legs down in dandasana.

Hope that helps!

ahubbard
Posted 2009-04-20 12:48 AM (#115487 - in reply to #115338)

With all do respect to the original poster, I’m wondering if she is really doing a straight-legged jump through (SLJT for short), because unless someone has a background in gymnastics or dance, etc., I think it would be extraordinary for someone new to Ashtanga to be able to do it. And certainly, if someone can do an SLJT then it would be a little strange if they couldn’t do a cross-legged JT, which is much, much easier.

It should be noted that the SLJT means: jumping through with total control; not bending your legs AT ALL throughout the entire movement; not touching the ground AT ALL until you softly and gently place your body down in a seated position. Perhaps she is doing this. If so, then I am very impressed and surprised.

In any case, here is my understanding of the infamous straight-legged jump through. It may be helpful, or may be completely wrong. (It basically comes from David Swenson)

1) You need an absolutely perfect standing forward bend. This means that you can bend over, with your feet together, from a standing pose, place your palms on the ground with deeply bent arms and perfectly straight legs and then lift your entire body up. If you can’t do this, then it is geometrically impossible for your straight legs to pass through your arms. Note: You need not have long arms to do this, you merely need to be able to bend them deeply when in a standing forward bend.

2) The ability to throw your butt so high in the air when you jump from downward dog that your arms and upper torso make a nearly-straight line. If you cannot do this, then again, it will be impossible to achieve an SLJT.

Hope this helps. To see a perfect demonstration of an SLJT just look at the videos of David Swenson posted on YouTube referred to in a recent thread on this forum.

Regards,
Andrew

Edited by ahubbard 2009-04-20 12:51 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)