YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beginning to incorporate the Yogi way of eating
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

rae rae
Posted 2009-04-10 12:47 PM (#115298)
Subject: Beginning to incorporate the Yogi way of eating

Hello all,

I have been practicing yoga and meditation for almost a year now and have decided to take it to the next step. I really want to make it more than just a "practice" but a "lifestyle". I am fairly aware of the typical eating habits for a Yogi and would like to incorporate them into my life. I understand the great benefits but would like to know more before making the transition.

I appreciate any advice that you may have in regards to detoxing, foods, meals, and even proper fasting. Remember, I am a beginner at this and am looking for a way to transition my eating habits in a healthy and effective manner.

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Namaste
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-04-10 1:55 PM (#115301 - in reply to #115298)
Subject: RE: Beginning to incorporate the Yogi way of eating

Yogic eating is eating with awareness, not a specific diet. Awareness while you are eating as well as awareness of how you feel an hour, as well as several hours after eating. Let your actual experience, not the words in your head (or your repeating someone else's words) be your guide. Once you are actually aware of what you experience, diet takes care of itself, as you will consume those things that work for you in the quantities that your body (not your mind) needs.

Let me give an example: If you drink a glass of wine, you may notice that you feel better for about 20 minutes, but then feel worse for about 2 hours. It is then up to you whether you want to make this trade off. It is the same with a big meal that tastes fantastic but makes you feel heavy and tired for hours afterwards. Another trade off. The same is true about a diet of only raw vegetables and nuts. This may make you feel light and energetic or it may make you ill and remove all pleasure from eating. Eating particular foods and not eating others does not make you holy or superior in some way. Eating what is right for you gives you better health and much joy. You can only know what is right for you through awareness.

Remember that we are supposed to have pleasure in eating. It is an instinct for all creatures that eat. The real question becomes what style of eating and which foods will produce the most pleasure now, and later as well.
rae rae
Posted 2009-04-16 2:16 PM (#115437 - in reply to #115298)
Subject: Re: Beginning to incorporate the Yogi way of eating

Thank you very much jimg, I appreciate your response and advice.
anusimosa45
Posted 2009-07-22 1:31 PM (#117093 - in reply to #115298)
Subject: Re: Beginning to incorporate the Yogi way of eating

Thanks jimg, I found this really helpful. I am trying to eat healthier and keep the "trade off" you talk about in mind at all times. Also found your quotes quite on point!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)