YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is Ashtanga for woman as well?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

China Butterfly
Posted 2009-04-03 12:11 AM (#115156)
Subject: Is Ashtanga for woman as well?

Hey,

I am a yogi since Y2005, but just recent 2 months began to focus on Ashtanga practice

when i talk to other girls about Ashtanga, responses include many negative attitude towards woman to practice Ashtanga:

* there are girls felt losing their body shape as a girl (breast smaller, waist no longer slim)

* there are girls getting shorter lady period (this scared me the most as i am facing the same situation - not sure yet if it is bad or it was caused by my Ashtanga practice)

* cause skin problems

* cause nosebeeding

- some of above are from yoga instructors

Any thoughts?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2009-04-03 1:50 AM (#115158 - in reply to #115156)
Subject: RE: Is Ashtanga for woman as well?

Dear CB: How did you learn Ashtanga style Yoga Exercise? You should get hold of a very reliable source such as a) founder of this exercise style b) some body in that lineage who is advanced. and, then ask this question to them. Also, check whether there are many long term Yoga persons who are doing this style exercise and are ladies. If possible, see their bios etc.

Do not ask this question to some one who just started this exercise or those who do it NON regularly.

Another thing I want to tell you is: many times even very serious Yoga Teachers including World Famous Yoga Teachers, would not tell people all their things. For example, if that teacher died of Cancer, people will not know what was the cause of that cancer. If that teacher had heart attacks, they would not know it.

The above can be a problem in your studies and belief system.

Ultimately, all comes to belief only, and that includes all the people who believe that they do not go by belief, they go by scientific proof, etc. The people who say they believe in living in present moment only, also actually live in past moments. ETC.

Love and Peace.

China Butterfly - 2009-04-03 12:11 AM

Hey,

I am a yogi since Y2005, but just recent 2 months began to focus on Ashtanga practice

when i talk to other girls about Ashtanga, responses include many negative attitude towards woman to practice Ashtanga:

* there are girls felt losing their body shape as a girl (breast smaller, waist no longer slim)

* there are girls getting shorter lady period (this scared me the most as i am facing the same situation - not sure yet if it is bad or it was caused by my Ashtanga practice)

* cause skin problems

* cause nosebeeding

- some of above are from yoga instructors

Any thoughts?

ahubbard
Posted 2009-04-03 10:41 AM (#115165 - in reply to #115156)
Subject: Re: Is Ashtanga for woman as well?

Why do you care what size your breasts are? Yoga is not about your breast size. Yoga is not about your body. If you are really concerned about your body then perhaps you should try aerobics or weight lifting rather than yoga. If you practice Ashtanga, or any kind of yoga, with a sincere attitude and true devotion then you might escape the narcissistic attachment to your body that would lead you to be concerned about your breast size and the size of your waist. As for your period, I would think a shorter one would be better. As for nosebleeds, I’ll take a thousand of them if it is part of my yoga practice, because yoga is more important than nosebleeds. The yoga instructors that are telling you to worry about such things are not yoga instructors, they are teachers of attachment to an illusion. This is the trap that the Indian yogis foresaw when yoga was brought to the west. Of course, they were right.
kulkarnn
Posted 2009-04-03 12:15 PM (#115169 - in reply to #115165)

Dear ahubbard: I want to give a suggestion to you: First try to understand the logic of the poster and her teacher in a gentle way. That is the sign of a good Yogi. Right? Do not assume things and jump to conclusion.

Posted 2009-04-03 1:56 PM (#115176 - in reply to #115156)

chinabutterfly,
Don't worry about whether Astanga yoga is good for women or not, just look at whether it is good for you. If it is working for you, keep doing it; if it is not working for you, find another style that works better for that unique person that is you.
jimg
patient@44
Posted 2009-04-03 2:26 PM (#115178 - in reply to #115176)

I am a woman and I practice ashtanga (5-6 times a week) and yes, ashtanga yoga has changed some things: smaller breasts, shorter periods. I do not get nose bleeds...not quite sure what that is about unless the studio is extremely dry and no, my waist is not larger, it is smaller. Now, with all that said, none of it really matters to me because how ashtanga changes my physical appearance and/or functioning is not why I choose to practice, it is merely an interesting side affect. I, personally, welcome the changes and then let them go because, alas my body is always going to change and function differently as I age, as I practice, based on what I eat, etc.
If these possible changes concern you then perhaps a gentler yoga practice is something you may want to explore or perhaps, a less strenuous practice of ashtanga. My understanding of ashtanga is that anyone can do it: women, men, large, small, old, young, flexible, inflexible, weak, strong, healthy, and those suffering from health issues. The intention is to practice the whole series but that doesn't mean that one should do so from the start. For some ashtanga is doing suyra namaskara A and maybe B, and then maybe the standing sequence, and then maybe some of the floor. Slowly one builds their practice and as they build it, their body slowly adjusts, as does the mind, soul, everything!
On a more physiological note, I think the reason that some women have shorter periods or smaller breast is because ashtanga can be a very rigorous physical practice and like any woman who participates regularly in strenuous exercise, some changes to their body will occur. This is usually due to a loss of adipose tissue and consequently a drop in estrogen.
Good luck exploring the practice of ashtanga. The vast majority of the people I practice with are women (as are my primary instructors) You may also want to check out Kino MacGregor's website. She is a certified ashtanga instructor.

Peace
Nick
Posted 2009-04-03 2:50 PM (#115180 - in reply to #115178)

Hi ,
I'd just like to applaud Carol on her brilliant and balanced response-absolutely brilliant-go Tiger!

Nick
ahubbard
Posted 2009-04-03 5:50 PM (#115183 - in reply to #115156)

Dear kulkarnn: I want to give a suggestion to you: Be honest, speak your mind, and tell the truth as you see it. No one can fault you for that.

Yoga is not about being gentle or tactful, or trying to avoid hurt feelings - - you will find Pattabhi Jois to be none of those things, or any other great yogi you are likely to meet: yoga is about truth and pure honesty.

Of course, if you are in the business of yoga and make your living as a yoga teacher, being p.c. is very important. You would be out of business very quickly if you were to act like Pattabhi Jois. But you are doing your students no great service following such a course.

My point is that, unfortunately, for many, yoga, and Ashtanga in particular, has become just another form of body worship: the opposite of what it was intended to be. Eschew that path and much more interesting things will open up to you.

Peace,
Andrew

Edited by ahubbard 2009-04-03 6:18 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2009-04-04 8:21 AM (#115195 - in reply to #115183)

Dear Andrew: OM ShantiH.
ahubbard
Posted 2009-04-04 10:35 AM (#115196 - in reply to #115156)

Right back at you my man.
China Butterfly
Posted 2009-04-07 12:46 AM (#115236 - in reply to #115156)

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all your input, i have figured out i will continue with ashtanga practice to see how it works on me.

when several years ago(Y2005) i just started doing yoga, i had a purpose: to lose weight, that's why i spent most of time in hot yoga room

it was last year, i suddenly realize the practice is such beatiful, the movement could be slow and light but with full of power. then my purpose changed: i wanted to be able to do all those fancy poses (arm balancing was my favorate at the moment), that's why i spent most of time in flow class

about 2 months ago, i felt my practice was no longer improving, after a few ashtanga workshops, i thought that might be something can help me out, then i began daily practice
- i mean everyday
- i do it at home by own
- an ashtanga instruction book(by John Scott) is my only teacher, very occasionally i go to ashtanga class
- now my purose is to be able to do all those poses, i mean from primary poses to series 3

cheers!

Posted 2009-04-07 12:53 PM (#115241 - in reply to #115158)

kulkarnn - 2009-04-02 10:50 PM

Ultimately, all comes to belief only, and that includes all the people who believe that they do not go by belief, they go by scientific proof, etc. The people who say they believe in living in present moment only, also actually live in past moments. ETC.

Neel,
I believe that you are correct, BUT we have the opportunity to have more beliefs and believe in them more strongly with greater attachment or fewer beliefs and view them more as working hypotheses, without the attachment that so often leads to close-mindedness, violence, hate and war. We all filter our perceptions through our beliefs and our cultural past. (Belief in the scientific method is as much a belief as belief in the authority of ancients, whether Moses or Patanjuli.) The more freedom we have from these filters, the more directly and accurately we see ourselves, each other and our environment. You can try it and experience it, assuming you believe your experience.

We all live in our past. Our bodies and our minds are the sum total of our past. That does not mean that we cannot spend more time in the present, instead of in our memories and our projections of the past which we call the future. You (the sum total of your past) can replay old tapes in your head or you can be aware of what is happening internally and externally right now. The past and future do not go away, but they can be balanced with awareness of the present moment. Love and creativity only exist in the present moment.

We have choices and these choices give us more freedom or less freedom. If we (our bodies, minds and beliefs) are flexible, we have more choices. Our beliefs can weight us down or lift us up. Our beliefs can retard growth and lead to decay and premature death of the mind, body and spirit or our beliefs can encourage joy, growth and this miracle called life.
Namaste,
Jim

kulkarnn
Posted 2009-04-07 4:24 PM (#115245 - in reply to #115241)

Fine jimg. Thanks.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)