YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Our way of doing things, our actions
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

Nidlo
Posted 2009-03-29 11:38 AM (#115034)
Subject: Our way of doing things, our actions

We have discussed the difference in controling our breathing during meditation, and to simply observe it. I have some thoughts about how this could be applied in every day life.

For example: lets imagine that someone always falls asleep with the sound of the TV on. If the person turns the TV off, he can't go to sleep. He is used to hearing sounds, and voices at bedtime, and with the TV on the strenuous thoughts don't keep him awake. From a health point of view it would be better to fall asleep with the TV off, becasue humans need the calm, and silence.

He knows this, and want to change his actions.

From a meditator's point of view, would it be better to do this in a more not controling way? This could be keep having the TV on every night, but have a more observing mind, be more open, meditate, until he naturally start wanting the TV turned off. Thus, not to force it.

A more controlled way could be to deribelately turn the TV off at night, and try to fall asleep without it. In this way it might take several more hours to fall asleep, if it works at all. But at least he falls asleep without the TV on, which was his intentions.

What is your thoughts? Is it possible to change our ways, our actions, more meditative, and allowing? Should we at all deribelately change what we do, or should we simply allow change to come naturally, almost without our notice?

Love, N
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Oz1
Posted 2009-03-30 2:21 PM (#115082 - in reply to #115034)
Subject: RE: Our way of doing things, our actions

Nidlo - 2009-03-29 11:38 AM

Should we at all deribelately change what we do, or should we simply allow change to come naturally, almost without our notice?

Love, N

You are centering on the most difficult thing in the world: Natural vs Deliberate change. You mentioned TV. Everything on TV is deliberate, designed to evoke feelings, stimulate to sell products. Our world is a designed world. Ever since our ancient ancestors started developing food production 11,000 years ago, humans have gradually removed themselves from the natural environment which we of course rely on for survival.

Our minds/brains have created this change, inventing more and more technologies and specialized fields of knowledge until today. All of us who do not directly produce food depend on other people for income and survival. We have created a brain-to-brain environment, and the natural environment has become a distant second. Of course, global warming will bring our attention back to what's natural.

So what is natural in our brain-to-brain environment? Only when you're able to disassociate everything designed to make you think and believe in a certain way - clear your mind and observe - can you change naturally. This is mindfulness, observing without judging.

The beautiful part of this process is that absolute mindfulness clears the way for love and compassion. You can sense the mantras (thoughts, sensations, emotions, etc.) which mean the most to you. The activities you love, the people you love, the people you wish to act on behalf of. This is happiness - Doing the things you love for the people you love, including yourself.

And it is natural. I call it optimal adaptation - being able to develop love and compassion for your environment because you are designing it. Ultimately, your environment is the mind you live in.

Meditate on your goals once in a while and sense what they mean to you. Are they natural, do you feel love and compassion for the activity or person, or does the goal feel contrived, as if someone else planted it in your mind? When you hone your ability, you do no need any more goals. You are in a sense using the process of evolution - natural selection, moment by moment, guided by your mindful, loving emotions.

This is not easy. But it's doable with practice. And it is definitely worth the deliberate action!

Nidlo
Posted 2009-04-05 6:46 PM (#115214 - in reply to #115034)
Subject: Re: Our way of doing things, our actions

Your post says alot, Oz.

Yes, our world is a designed world. Everything is a product of a thought process. Advertising on TV, and made up programs. Sometimes it's just too much! Almost like I can't breath clearly. I'm afraid that our future holds only designed things. No spontaneous growing forests, or fresh food.

Even if it feels like change is in a hurry, and that we need it now, true change is maybe only possible if it is natural. Unnatural, and forced change is not true. It is false, and designed like the programs on TV, like a surface of change. It may look from the outside as I then have changed, but a forced change will only disapear after a while. Soon I'm back where I begun. So a forced change might only slow down the process. When I have accepted the change as not true, and forced, I will be at the starting point again. This time I will have to change natural if I want it to be permanent.

Edited by Nidlo 2009-04-05 6:50 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)