YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Death of the Print Newspaper
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

GreenJello
Posted 2009-03-24 7:40 PM (#114911)
Subject: Death of the Print Newspaper

Basically this article make the point that the news is not going away, only the paper based delivery system, which is a good thing, since it's being replaced with something better.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/Why-Its-OK-for-Newspapers-to-Die-66560.html?wlc=1237646014

I've noticed similar stuff with the subjects I'm interested in, Motorcycles, beer, gunz, yoga, minis, the really rabid fans have almost turned into reporters, and you get much more in-depth news and analysis from people who know the subject, and care. (This site is an excellent example.)  It also tends to be pretty well policed in a number of places, people checking up on the reports, sources, and credibility, with tons of feedback and commentary in many cases.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-03-24 8:06 PM (#114912 - in reply to #114911)
Subject: Re: Death of the Print Newspaper

I'm with you GJ. Newspapers are the buggy whips of the 21st Century. No more monoplies (eg., Hurst) controlling what info we access. I buy the local Sunday paper for the TV guide and the coupons.
GreenJello
Posted 2009-03-25 12:10 AM (#114919 - in reply to #114912)

Bruce - 2009-03-24 8:06 PM I'm with you GJ. Newspapers are the buggy whips of the 21st Century. No more monoplies (eg., Hurst) controlling what info we access. I buy the local Sunday paper for the TV guide and the coupons.

I don't think I've ever bought a paper for the news, usually I buy them because they're a very cheap way to make a drop cloth, or to package stuff up for shipping.

tourist
Posted 2009-03-25 9:52 AM (#114925 - in reply to #114919)

Expert Yogi

First of all - why did they call them buggy whips when the buggy obviously didn't need whipping?

And - what am I going to read in the coffee shop with my breakfast after I teach on Tuesday mornings? Honestly, I only buy a paper at times like that and rely on good, credible sources for my news the rest of the time. Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert are good and reliable, right?
GreenJello
Posted 2009-03-30 10:48 AM (#115073 - in reply to #114925)

Because horse whips is a less marketable term?

I honestly think that Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert are probably some of the best reporting on TV.  I'm not alone in this either.  Pretty much everybody else is a corporate shill.  Jon and Steven ask the truly hard questions.  In some ways it goes back to the traditional position of the Fool in the King's Court.  In many cases, only the fool was given the position of questioning the king's authority, or decisions.  Since he was in such a lowly position (Comedy Network) he wasn't a threat to the King's power like the other nobels.

tourist
Posted 2009-03-30 6:52 PM (#115086 - in reply to #114911)
Subject: RE: Death of the Print Newspaper

Expert Yogi

Plus Steven is a snappy dresser.
GreenJello
Posted 2009-03-31 9:30 AM (#115095 - in reply to #115086)
Subject: RE: Death of the Print Newspaper

tourist - 2009-03-30 6:52 PM Plus Steven is a snappy dresser.

He's got a certain air of credibilitiness doesn't he?

Posted 2009-03-31 1:42 PM (#115103 - in reply to #114911)

Something else that has ooutlived it's usefulness in the 21st Century and should be closed up is the freaking US Post Office--any commercial service is much more reliable, not that much more expensive and doesn't clog the collection box with junk.

Posted 2009-03-31 1:57 PM (#115104 - in reply to #114911)

I don't know of any commercial service that will mail a letter for anything close to 42 cents.

On another note, the Chicago Sun-Times filed for chapter 11 today.
GreenJello
Posted 2009-04-01 10:34 AM (#115122 - in reply to #115103)

Bruce - 2009-03-31 1:42 PM Something else that has ooutlived it's usefulness in the 21st Century and should be closed up is the freaking US Post Office--any commercial service is much more reliable, not that much more expensive and doesn't clog the collection box with junk.

Agreed.  Honestly, I get my NetFlix, and send out stuff to the government, and everything else is junk.  I do all my bill paying via the internet, correspond via email, and I nolonger see any value in having the post office.

The delivery sorts of things that they currently do could be done just as well via a company such as UPS or FedEx.  As seldom as I need to send something out, it would probably be cheaper for everybody to just pay a little more for the few times that you need to send or receive something.  The regular routes are just nuts.

Unfortunately, I think that there are a lot of people for whom the mail is a necessity because they don't or can't move to a digital lifestyle.  So the rest of us continue to pay for these people....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)