YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Questions for all yoga teachers
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Smart cookie
Posted 2009-03-20 3:16 PM (#114751)
Subject: Questions for all yoga teachers

Hi everyone,

I'm considering taking a 500-hour yoga teacher training course but before committing I'd like to talk to people who have been teaching yoga. Currently I sit at a desk all day and I've been finding the 9-5 schedule too inflexible and uninspiring. I practice yoga 2-3 times a week. I enjoy working for myself, but have found freelance work in the past to be really lonesome.

How do you find jobs as a yoga teacher?

On average, what hours of the day are your busiest and slowest?

Do you find it difficult to find work?

What are some of the pros and cons of this profession and industry?

How do you charge your clients? (hourly, per head, per class etc.)

On average, how much money do you make a year?

What would you have wanted to know about the profession before becoming a yoga teacher?

I understand that everyone's answers will vary, but that variance is what I'm looking for. I just want to find a career that is fulfilling and makes me happy to go to work everyday, but I also need to choose a career that will allow me to buy a house and raise a family eventually.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, even if you don't have time to answer all the questions.

Namaste and thank you
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-03-20 7:05 PM (#114757 - in reply to #114751)
Subject: RE: Questions for all yoga teachers

Hi Dayna,
I teach part-time (4-5 classes per week) and do not depend on teaching yoga to make a living. To make a full time living, you usually either have to teach an awful lot of classes or earn an awful lot per class, so there aren't a lot of yoga teachers who make a decent living from teaching yoga alone. Many of the yoga teachers who do make a reasonable living from teaching yoga are studio owners. Being a studio owner is being a small business person and a different skill set than teaching, although there is absolutely no reason why you couldn't be good at both. Hope this helps,
Jim
kulkarnn
Posted 2009-03-20 8:10 PM (#114759 - in reply to #114757)
Subject: Re: Questions for all yoga teachers

I think jimg has summarized it all. Just to repeat: making full living is NOT equal to Yoga Teaching unless your needs are very little.

Posted 2009-03-21 3:26 AM (#114767 - in reply to #114751)

Yoga is a calling not a career.
tourist
Posted 2009-03-21 10:04 AM (#114773 - in reply to #114751)

Expert Yogi

Don't go into teaching to make a living. It is a wonderful addition to a 9 - 5 job. In my case, I can work 9 - 3, due to my extra teaching income. You mentioned being lonely and that definitely comes into play, from what I have heard from other teachers. You also work mostly at night, so it affects your social life. And as much as I love teaching, I am decidedly NOT happy to go to work every day. Most days - yes. But being a bundle of joy non-stop is both not possible and exhausting. And annoying to the rest of the world... ok - maybe just to me at 7 am. Not a morning person here:-)

One thing I wanted to know and thankfully did know before I started was that teaching cuts into your practice. It is much more of a challenge to maintain a decent practice if you are teaching.

Hope all of this helps!
patient@44
Posted 2009-03-21 11:11 AM (#114775 - in reply to #114773)

Why does teaching impact one's practice? Is it that one finds it difficult to teach and practice in one day? Is this true for the majority of yoga teachers? There many things that make me question pursuing teaching but the possible impact it could have on my practice is for me, a significant issue. I also wonder about teaching at a studio where one has been a student for a number of years. Has anyone done this, and if so, how were you received by your fellow practitioners (now your students)? Is it better to separate were you teach from were you practice and learn yourself?

It has only been in the last few months that I have felt a nascent calling to teach and I am trying to figure out whether this interest is valid or whether I am following the usual pedagogical line of "see one, do one, teach one."

Posted 2009-03-21 6:33 PM (#114792 - in reply to #114751)

i agree with what others have said, and i also add to this that you'll want to look at the time that you have.

a lot of people decide that because they love yoga so much, they want to teach. nothing wrong with that, but what happens is that they practice 2-3 times a week and that's the whole of their practice. then, they start teaching when they are available, and that tends to be the same 2-3 times a week and practice goes bye-bye. and then, they eithr find more time for yoga in their schedule, or stop teaching, or practice 1-2 times a week and teach 2-3 times a week--and at that rate, it takes quite a while for you to earn back what you paid for the training anyway.

so, i would really think about it all pretty carefully.

but, i'll also answer your questions, just for fun, and add a few other things that may or may not be interesting to you.

How do you find jobs as a yoga teacher?

first, by hitting the pavement. resume and certificate (photocopies) in hand, i went to every gym, wellness center, studio, senior center, and blah blah blah that was within a certain radius of my house. i would ask to talk to whomever runs the group fitness program at that place, and i wouldn't leave until i had either a phone number or appointment with hthat person. sometimes i'd get to talk to them right away.

i'd explain my desire, training, and process to them, and usually would have a job fairly quickly.

second, through network connections. my teachers, my friends who are teachers, and just friends knew i was a teacher and so if they knew of a place looking for yoga teachers, they'd tell me about it and i would follow up within 24 hrs.

third, simply starting to teach by renting space and creating a class. for example, my neighborhood has a club house that rents at $35 per time, but because i was willing to offer class for a discounted rate and use the space on an "odd time" and it was a low-risk/low-volume use, they only charged me $15 per time. so, that was sweet.

On average, what hours of the day are your busiest and slowest?

i tend to work 9-2 and 5-9. the middle of the day (11-4) tends to be the slowest times of day. also, i'm weekend mornings are a good time to work.

and let me tell you, it's freakin' lonely, so you better be a loner. i am, so it works out for me, except when i feel really lonely and stir crazy because i feel like i haven't spoken aloud to anyone (other than teaching/calling poses) for WEEKS. and yes, sometimes i feel that way.

anyway, what happens is this. i work nights and weekends mostly, and guess when friends and family work? you guessed it--9-5. so, when they're having happy hour and poker night and what have you, i'm working. sometimes, they're taking my classes, but more often than not, they're going to the movies without me.

when i'm available for movies--say, between 11 and 4 on any given wednesday, where is everyone else? WORKING!

and, do you like to travel on weekends? take workshops? go visit grandma? forget it. you aren't leaving town until after 12, at earliest, because your am class ends around 11 and by the time you've answered questions, done the money, cleaned the studio and gotten otu the door, you're hungry and THEN you can get on the road. and, you probably have to be back to teach the next morning, anyway, so no dice about going any real distance. no point in driving 3 hrs to stay 1 and drive back 3, so that you can get up early the next day to teach.

and people say "but you set your own schedule!" which is true, but if i didn't work on weekends, i wouldn't earn much. i rent on weekends, and those classes are my bread and butter. i earn an average of $120-150 per class on those days, and if i decide not to teach on a weekend, then i LOOSE that money AND the rent that i paid (because i have to pay the rent whether i lead the class that day or cancel it or another teacher leads it).

my sister's wedding, how tragic. My whole week's income lost because of her shennanigans. I tend to work Tues-Sun, and i earn a good deal in that time. I mean, i currently only teaching 6 classes (you know, because of the baby that i had and what not. LOL), and i earn about $600 per week. So, i lost $600 when i went to my sister's show, and on top of that had to buy the stupid dress, pay for the hotel, and blah-dee-blah, which cost me another $1200 at least, and so the whole month of my income was spent on her anyway.

and my student loans.

lucky i have a husband.

so, it's not all sunshine and rainbows out the upper end of downward dog if you know what i mean.

Do you find it difficult to find work?

no, it's easy to find work if you're industrious. and, if you show your value and create a good reputation. i'm offered about 2-3 jobs a week right now, which i pass on to other teachers (whom i train), because i can't add more to my plate that this point.

i would LOVE to add about 4-10 more classes to my schedule, but i'm not sure that i can handle it with the baby. i'm not sure that i want to rent more from this one place where i currently rent, and the studio where i also rent (it's a coop) doesn't have any more openings for me until July when one of our gals moves (so sad!). and, i'm not sure if they want me to take over her classes anyway. man, it would be sweet though. but then, i'd be teaching more classes there than any other teacher, including the owner--teaching 7 instead of 3, and the owner teaches 6. i don't know if that's a bad thing, it might just be weird.

i feel most comfortable teaching around 18 classes, with a max of 24. the most i've ever taught per week is 35 and that was too many. 18-24 (without a baby) is good. with a baby, i just add a class and see how it feels. then add one, and see how it feels, and then add one, and see how it feels. i really, really, want to add at least two more. so, who knows?

What are some of the pros and cons of this profession and industry?

well, it's great work if you're passionate about it. it's lonely either way--just see above. like any industry, there are jerks and super cool folks. and, you have to work hard no matter what.

How do you charge your clients? (hourly, per head, per class etc.)

for private lessons, it's by hour and then in packages. for private parties (groups of people who want to practice together), it's a flat rate depending upon the size (if it's a group larger than 4, then it's $110 per lesson, and most groups split the cost per hr for the flat rate, and this excludes IF i have to find and rent studio space for them). for studios, gyms, etc, it's whatever they pay or we agree to. when i'm renting space, it depends because the coop charges $13 per person and $11 if they buy a class card, so i take that, UNLESS it's my month to do thrifty thursday (which i started, so it doesn't bug me, but all of us rotate it on thursdays to boost our class sizes), in which case it's $7 per person on that day. I take home whatever comes in. The other place where i rent, it's $5 per person per class. that class is HUGE right now, with an average of 17 people.

On average, how much money do you make a year?

on average, before taxes and after expenses, about $15k.

What would you have wanted to know about the profession before becoming a yoga teacher?

end of the day, i was made to do this. doing anything else makes me crazy. if i were smarter about my business and worked harder, i would earn more. i skate because i can.

i look forward to having my own studio, skating less, and earning more. but i have to do this.

i mean, i have a law degree and i had a number of job offers after law shcool but i hated it. i wanted to do this, so i do this. my husband supports me in every way, so i can skate.

but this year, i resolve not to skate, and so far, it's making a HUGE difference financially, personally, and otherwise.

aside from this, and i tell this to ALL of my apprentices: this job isn't for everyone. so, before you spend a lot of money on training, think long and hard about what you want from it, what you want to do.

it's not an easy job. i think it demands a lot of passion, hard work, focus, self reliance, and a lot of other skills. it's hard work. and some days, it really SUCKS (you know, like the day that some random student completely bitches you out because they had a bad day and you happened to quote something that they didn't like while the class was doing a pose that they dont' find restful, and then your boss at the studio bitches you out again because that student got angry, and then you are like WTF is going on with these people and realize it's all an illusion anyway. . .

Posted 2009-03-21 6:50 PM (#114793 - in reply to #114751)

i will also answer these questions (it's so nice to have internet time while ryan plays with the baby! hawk's crawling around and eating a box).

Why does teaching impact one's practice? Is it that one finds it difficult to teach and practice in one day? Is this true for the majority of yoga teachers? There many things that make me question pursuing teaching but the possible impact it could have on my practice is for me, a significant issue.

for the most part, people only have so much time in their lives for things. so, for example, many of my students have a job, kids, and then whatever other hobbies that they do.

so, lets say that they practice yoga twice a week and that's it. no other yoga practice. then, they take training and start to teach. with job, kids, and whatever else, they have twice a week in which to either take yoga or teach yoga. having spent the cash, many want to teach.

so when do they practice? i know teachers who haven't practiced in MONTHS because they never had a stable, fucntional, daily home practice. i make sure that my apprentices have this FIRST (and document it) before i train them. it's really important!

for those who do have a stable practice, teaching adds to and comes from this place. it's an absolute necessity, like the morning constitutional. if it doesn't happen, you're just down right wonky all day.

FWIW, i went back to teaching about 1 month after having the baby because i couldn't live without it. i practiced yoga the day i had the baby (all through labor in fact), and the day after he was born, and every day without fail. it wasn't all handstands mind you, as my pelvic floor was terribly surprising!, but it was good practice nonetheless.

i still practice 35 mintues every day, without fail, while my husband watches the baby. without this, i go batty. seriously, you don't need to see me batty, and neither does anyone else. LOL

I also wonder about teaching at a studio where one has been a student for a number of years. Has anyone done this, and if so, how were you received by your fellow practitioners (now your students)? Is it better to separate were you teach from were you practice and learn yourself?

the students were great and amazingly supprotive.

the problem came from my fellow teachers-in-training.

at the end of the day, cream will rise, and typically the students will opt for the cream. when i started teaching at a place where i'd been a student, then a teacher-in-training, and finally a teacher, it got to the point where my classes were HUGE as compared to other graduates.

i hardly noticed, as i was just teaching and didn't keep track of anyone else's numbers. i didn't really care about numbers. but, once the fit hit the shan about it (petty, back-biting behavior from a couple of fellow teachers who graduated with me), i realized that was the cause. my classes at the one studio (where the room held 70 students and classes averaged 20 students) were averaging 35 students; at the second studio (owned by the same guy, same teachers, where the room held 150 and averaged 25 students) my classes averaged 85. i was making that man some serious coin.

well, some of the ladies got upset because in addition to making that man some serious coin, i made more than other teachers who were the same "age" as me, graduation wise. i taught more classes, and i often "took over" some of their classes at his discretion because he wanted them to grow (eg, he moved me around the schedule rather frequently, every 3 months or so, to build up all of the classes more). seeing a class go from large numbers when i teach it (say, tuesday at 7 was averaging 40 students) and then when i moved to thursday and She moved to tuesday, the numbers flipped from 40 to 15, and she got her feelings hurt.

and well, it got all snarky and finally he decided that because i was the anomoly, even though i was bringing in the most coin, he had to go with her (also, didn't hrut that she was his girlfriend. he always chooses the girlfriend, btw).

this has happened to me in two yoga studios, so i tend to avoid studios that couples run.
roypotter
Posted 2011-06-16 3:08 AM (#208681 - in reply to #114751)
Subject: RE: Questions for all yoga teachers

Regular

Please refer the link given below. I hope you get a proper solution to all your queries.

http://www.helium.com/items/2044185-how-to-find-clients-for-a-home-based-yoga-business
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)