YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

which martial art fits to yogin(i)s? (...if any)
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

juliet
Posted 2009-03-18 3:58 AM (#114664 - in reply to #114662)
Subject: Re: which martial art fits to yogin(i)s? (...if any)

hey Nick , I totally agree with you! maybe it's because we both live in England, and the idea of carrying a gun is not very common here, i think.
I'm not sure that having a gun would give me a greater sense of freedom, it's still ultimately a weapon that harms/kills another person. not nice
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kristi
Posted 2009-03-18 5:38 AM (#114667 - in reply to #114664)

Veteran

Green Jello,
I don’t know what is happening in Thibet that you mention, because I am not THERE, and I DO NOT trust what the media are telling us on such matters, especially when they deal with far away countries, the culture, the habits, the needs of which, westerners just CANNOT understand… (I think American citizens… should now agree on this… I am sure… Iraqi citizens certainly do agree). But having been raised myself in a country and a geographical area full of big, dramatic and very destructive civil wars, dictatorships and political instability, I am sure that guns are NOT the best way to react and to “be more certain of my counties rights”.
juliet
Posted 2009-03-18 11:22 AM (#114672 - in reply to #114647)

GreenJello - 2009-03-17 8:48 PM

Peaceful protest can often cause very radical changes in a society, but there is a limit to how much it can accomplish.  One only has to look at the blight of the lawful leaders of Tibet, and how their peaceful struggle these past 58 years has failed to secure their homeland to understand this.

I've just been watching a current interview with The Dalai Lama on Al Jazeera, and he clearly believes in, and encourages a non-violent response to China's occupation of Tibet, and supports dialogue as the way forward. I don't think it's possible to jump to the conclusion that a non-violent response has a "limit to how much it can accomplish". None of us can see the end result, or really understand the ripple effects of this response.

If you look at the situation in Ireland, it took both sides laying down arms, and talking, to create stability.(and it just takes one fool with a gun to jeopardise it).

It seems the use of violence and guns etc, doesn't "equalise" anything, it just creates a new cycle of violence.

Edited by juliet 2009-03-18 11:23 AM
GreenJello
Posted 2009-03-18 11:22 AM (#114673 - in reply to #114662)

Nick - 2009-03-18 2:44 AM Hee hee, How did we get back on to guns again?-I remember this same debate on one of my first posts here

Probably my fault then too.   I don't think this is so far off, the OP was about dealing with violent situations, and how to defend yourself, and how that fit into the yogic lifestyle.

Nick - 2009-03-18 2:44 AM

Sorry to pick, GJ, but using a gun isn't easier-look at all the training that gun experts do-SWAT, snipers, etc. It's easier for any fool to pick up a gun and use it, that's true-and it's the fools that pick up a gun that are the problem, not responsible people, like you.

You can be effective with a gun very quickly, compared to training to use a sword, knife, unarmed combat, bow and arrow, etc.  IIRC, basic army training is 10 weeks, most of which is spent on physical conditioning.  They're very effective afterwards, though you're correct, the more training, the more effective the person is going to be, with just about anything.

I wouldn't swap the existence that I have now for one where I felt safer to bear arms-it's like we live in two different worlds isn't it-because I'm pretty sure if I lived in some parts of America, I would probably have a gun. I count myself as very lucky-or stupid Nick

With the increasing Big Brother culture of a camera on every corner, that appears to be taking root in Britain, I'm also happier on this side of the Atlantic.  We've got issues with it here as well, the wire-tapping debacle is a good example, but currently Britain appears to be in worse shape.

I think if you lived over here for some time, you'd find that the media has presented you with a stilted idea of what guns are like over here.  I live on the edge of a rough neighboorhood, and we've had one incident of gun fire in the past year, or so.  I own a couple of guns, and I've never had to even brandish one, let allow fire it.  Nicer neighborhoods have far far less trouble, and a gun isn't the only way to commit violence against people.  Where there's a will, there's a way.

I can also give you direct ancedotal evidence of people preventing violent crime because they had a fire arm with them, or near them, much to the relief of the potential victim.  I can't give you much the other way around.  So from my point of view, it's better to have than not.

Kristi - I'm refering to the invasion of Tibet by the PRC in the 1950s.  I sincerely doubt that the PRC is going to be influenced by the wishes of the people of Tibet, or their exiled leaders.  History is filled with similar tyrants who were little swayed by peaceful protest.  In such cases it would appear that people have little other alternatives than to deal with them on another level, or suffer some pretty grave consequences.  Personally, I don't consider either alternative to be a good one, but this is the world we live in.

kristi
Posted 2009-03-19 2:26 PM (#114724 - in reply to #114673)

Veteran

>>>>>>>History is filled with similar tyrants who were little swayed by peaceful protest. In such cases it would appear that people have little other alternatives than to deal with them on another level, or suffer some pretty grave consequences. Personally, I don't consider either alternative to be a good one, but this is the world we live in.<<<<<<<<<<

I get your point Green Jello.
And I am also trying to speak in terms of the real world we live in and not of the world-as-we-would-like-it-to-be.
But, unfortunately, and in contrary of what you wrote, my thinking is, that most of the times when there is a violent reaction against a tyrant or against a bad government or whatever, the tyrant/government/state just gets the chance to use even more violence and with even more destructive weapons/guns and even harder methods of suppression and of control. And the tyrants know this. This is also why, very often in history, it was later in time proved that acts of violence that protesters/revolutionists were supposed to have done were just acts of instigation.

Gandhi was a great example of a peaceful and effective protestor !
A very shiny example and I think we, as yogis, should stick to this.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)