YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kundalini yoga for addictions?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Kundalini YogaMessage format

ACjoe
Posted 2009-03-10 9:55 PM (#114428)
Subject: Kundalini yoga for addictions?

I've heard that kundalini yoga is particularly helpful for the treatment of addictions. I'm curious as to how this type of yoga, as compared to other forms of yoga, is helpful. In my case, I've been struggling with alcohol addiction and have been exploring alternative ways to help deal with my addictions. I've read several books on yoga/mediation and kundalini yoga was mentioned numerous times as beneficial to the treatment of addictions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Phil
Posted 2009-03-11 5:23 AM (#114435 - in reply to #114428)
Subject: Re: Kundalini yoga for addictions?

Any form of yoga/meditation should help with addiction.
As yogic technique help you get to the root of your mental patterns.
And help you detach from the mental pull.
As well more simply yoga will purify the body making it less toxic, helping you reduce the amount of alcohol or drugs you would need.
ACjoe
Posted 2009-03-12 9:29 PM (#114509 - in reply to #114435)

Phil,

Thanks. I was curious as to why kundalini yoga might be more beneficial to addictions as compared to the other styles of yoga. I realize the mental and physical benefits of yoga in general, but I've heard several instances in which kundalini yoga was particularly effective in helping addicts. Does it clear the mind? Does it provide a euphoric state of mind?

I get enough aerobic exercise throughout the week that leaves me too tired to fit in a more rigorous yoga forum. Based on some the past threads of read, kundalini seems more to focus on mental aspect.

Thanks
kulkarnn
Posted 2009-03-12 11:47 PM (#114513 - in reply to #114428)
Subject: RE: Kundalini yoga for addictions?

IMHO, what you need is:

a) NOT exploring various methods to solve the problem. But, to stick to one method.

b) Kundalini or any other style has NOTHING to do with addictions. Addiction is mental and can be resolved by any mental means including NON Yoga means. Of course, Meditation shall be of immense help.

c) Meditation should be directly learned from experienced teacher. Experienced means experienced in the situations you are trying to resolve.

Best Luck

ACjoe - 2009-03-10 9:55 PM

I've heard that kundalini yoga is particularly helpful for the treatment of addictions. I'm curious as to how this type of yoga, as compared to other forms of yoga, is helpful. In my case, I've been struggling with alcohol addiction and have been exploring alternative ways to help deal with my addictions. I've read several books on yoga/mediation and kundalini yoga was mentioned numerous times as beneficial to the treatment of addictions.
Phil
Posted 2009-03-13 3:50 AM (#114519 - in reply to #114513)

Hi ACjoe,
Why Kundalini might be a more direct approach with addiction is it works directly with the endocrinology of the body via the chakra system. Your directly dealing with the chemistry of the body which addictions disrupt.
But it has to be learnt from a really good teacher otherwise it could have little effect.

Edited by Phil 2009-03-13 3:53 AM
canadian grrrl
Posted 2009-03-14 1:17 PM (#114540 - in reply to #114428)

Kundalini yoga is an excellent practice to break addictions and old habit patterns. Under the 3HO umbrella, kundlini yoga as taught by yogi bhajan, there is a 16 week course Kundlini yoga for addictions. Check out a teacher in your area as Kundalini yoga should be learned from an experienced teacher.
www.3HO.net
It is also dangerous to listen to people about the benefits of the different types of yoga, Kulkarnn for example does not know about Kundalini yoga and therefore should not advise on the benefits or ill effects. Ask teachers that is what they are there for!!!!

Edited by canadian grrrl 2009-03-14 1:20 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2009-03-14 9:59 PM (#114552 - in reply to #114540)

Darling CG: Please read my post clearly along with the original question. I am still glad that you made the following comment. Because, now I can properly explain my post clearly to those who have misunderstandings such as the ones like yourself.

- If you already know Kundalini Yoga formed by Yogi Bhajan is a name of the style of Yoga Practice and NOT a meaning of Kundalini as an element in the pure Yoga Science per say. And, therefore, when one uses the term Kundalini Yoga, it does not always mean Yogi Bhajan's Kundalini Yoga. It can mean so many things. See other posts on this forum.

- Next, I know Yogi Bhajan's background, and his direct and most senior Kundalini Yoga style teachers are my close friends. So, your statement that I do not KY is wrong. Also, I understand KY of other kind, that is what actually KY in pure Yoga Science means.

- In real Yoga Science, NOT having addictions is a PREQUALIFICATION to become a good Yoga Student. And, that does apply particularly to any serious practice such as Pure Kundalini Yoga Practice.

- It is quite possible that KY style may have helped people with addictions. That has some Yoga part in it, however it also has their wish to help such people and also their kindness towards society, etc. The effect is NOT due to Kundalini experience or some such.

- OP has asked whether KY has more effect on addiction relief. The answer is NO. Any style can have equal effect, including NON Yoga practice as long as it directly affects the addiction removal.

- I have NOT advised of any ill effects in my Post.

- I wish you all the best and hope that you develop clear understanding of things whether of KY or KY style or any other styles.

(BTW: I know one person tells me that if you scratch your head, it will help addictions. And, I know someone who did that and it actually helped that person. That is called xxxxxxxxxxxxx I shall let Cyndi or Bruce to name this practice. I personally do believe that actually it helped. Do you mean that it is more effective than other styles?)

Peace.

canadian grrrl - 2009-03-14 1:17 PM
It is also dangerous to listen to people about the benefits of the different types of yoga, Kulkarnn for example does not know about Kundalini yoga and therefore should not advise on the benefits or ill effects. Ask teachers that is what they are there for!!!!

Edited by kulkarnn 2009-03-14 10:04 PM
ACjoe
Posted 2009-03-17 10:35 PM (#114656 - in reply to #114519)

Phil - 2009-03-13 3:50 AM

Hi ACjoe,
Why Kundalini might be a more direct approach with addiction is it works directly with the endocrinology of the body via the chakra system. Your directly dealing with the chemistry of the body which addictions disrupt.
But it has to be learnt from a really good teacher otherwise it could have little effect.

Thanks. I looked into the website mentioned for kundalini yoga and there several teachers in the area. I think on of the things I struggle with is self-control. For instance, when I am able to control my alcohol consumption for a period of time I notice I trade off this addiction to something else (like junk food eating in my case).

Canadian gurl, I'll have to check to find out if they offer a extensive program like the one that was mentioned.

juliet
Posted 2009-03-18 4:13 AM (#114666 - in reply to #114656)

Hi ACjoe, Finding a positive habit that you enjoy and connect with, like yoga, can be a great trade off for another more destructive addiction. It works for me!

I found yoga as I was giving up smoking.

ACjoe
Posted 2009-03-31 9:40 PM (#115116 - in reply to #114428)

Carson,

Hey, thanks for the uplifting and inspiring post. Glad to hear your story. I'm not physically dependent on alcohol, just use it to get through the days. My biggest obstacle is finding something to replace the hours I normally would be drinking. I found that exercising helps but of course, one could only exercising for so long.

I'll check out the thework site and AYP sites you suggested. I've looked into the Kundalini yoga but it seems like such a psychological commitment for me to do. What I mean by this is that it seems more of a lifestyle (based on just browsing through the 3HO website) than just a yoga session. Do you practice one on one with your teacher or in a class setting?

Thanks

Posted 2009-04-01 12:22 PM (#115128 - in reply to #115116)

CarsonZi - 2009-04-01 9:02 AM

About yoga (any style not just kundalini) requiring a psychological commitment..... Can I ask you why you are practicing yoga in the first place? Yoga, kundalini or otherwise, is very much a you-get-out-of-it-what-you-put-in type of practice. If you are doing yoga only to beat your addiction to alcohol....if you are doing yoga for physical exercise.... if you are doing yoga for self-realization....any one of these intentions will produce different results even within the same style of yoga. So in my opinion it isn't as much about picking the right style of yoga as much as it is about formulating and being sincere about what your intentions are. And then sticking with it. So what I am meaning to say here is that every style of yoga requires the same amount of dedication. The amount you want to give it.

Excellent post. The right style of yoga is the one that you actually do on a regular basis.
ACjoe
Posted 2009-04-01 9:22 PM (#115138 - in reply to #115116)

Carson,

To answer your question, I'm drawn to yoga to help strengthen my inner mental focus as opposed to a form of physical exercise. I understand what you say when you talk about the style of yoga being somewhat irrelevant to the results desired. But, the reason I'm interested in learning about kundalini yoga is that 1) it seems to be less physically intensive that the other forms of yoga and 2) I've read it is particularly helpful for people dealing with addictions.

I've taken several yoga classes at my local gym and honestly, I didn't feel it would help deal with my inner self. Maybe I was exposed to a watered down version of yoga, but I felt it would take me some time for me to learn the yoga postures before I started getting any real benefit.

I'm not looking for a quick fix for my addiction but something I can commit to in the long term. I sometimes feel I use alcohol to fill the emptiness in my life (at least during those hours in the day when I feel this way). So what I'm looking for is something which I can use to control my impulses when it comes to dealing with the desire to use alcohol.
kulkarnn
Posted 2009-04-02 10:17 PM (#115154 - in reply to #115138)

Fantastic comments by CarsonZi. Thanks.
AnmolMehta
Posted 2009-06-11 9:07 PM (#116474 - in reply to #114428)

Here is the particular Kundalini Yoga technique which is prescribed for breaking additions. This can be used to quit smoking, give up alcohol, etc. It can also be used to establish good habits....

Kundalini Yoga Technique to Break Addictions

Hope this help.

Best,
Anmol

Edited by AnmolMehta 2009-06-11 9:12 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread