YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

All On Your Own
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

patient@44
Posted 2009-02-28 1:01 PM (#114009)
Subject: All On Your Own

This question may have been addressed in prior posts, sorry if it is a repeat:

Is it possible, advisable, safe, to have mostly an ashtanga home practice that is supplemented by only occasional visits to a studio (once every two weeks, for example) and/or workshops with a certified/authorized teacher?

I ask this because I am unable to attend a mysore class in my area and am finding the led primary classes less helpful as I practice more on my own at home (I prefer to count for myself and isn't that the goal?). Also, and as a follow up, when you are primarily doing it 'on your own' is exploring the second series asanas advisable? Should one only progress in the series with an experienced teacher? And what do you do if you can't access an instructor well versed in the second series?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2009-02-28 8:27 PM (#114022 - in reply to #114009)
Subject: RE: All On Your Own

Expert Yogi

I am an Iyengar teacher, not Ashtanga, but it sounds like a great way to practice to me. Class is for learning, practice is for practice.
Phil
Posted 2009-03-01 7:19 AM (#114034 - in reply to #114022)
Subject: Re: All On Your Own

It sounds like your doing the right thing.
I feel you should always be working towards a self practice.
Finding your own breath is what yoga is all about and this can be harder to do in a class enviroment.
Dropping in with a teacher is necessary when your learning and if you've just staring second series it's best to learn with your teacher.
As getting in and out of postures in the second series can be tricky to get right, so you don't hurt your self.
yogabear
Posted 2010-03-09 1:58 PM (#121827 - in reply to #114009)

Regular

I was under the impression that personal practice is more important.
iandicker
Posted 2010-03-10 8:38 AM (#121833 - in reply to #121827)

I mostly self practice. I don't have the time/money/local teacher to go regularly to classes so I do what I can at home in the morning and try to go once a month-ish if I can to a teacher in London.
You do have to be careful in the early stages not to push yourself too far (knees especially) but it does work. I think I would be further on in the practice had I gone more often to a class, but I'm generally happy with where I am. I do have a fantastic teacher who gives me more than enough to go on every time I attend class which helps.

Ian
yogabear
Posted 2010-03-11 11:05 AM (#121858 - in reply to #114009)

Regular

I don't understand what the big deal is about showering before yoga. Most of students start to really stink once it gets hot and they all smell the same to me.

Besides, I read in the Hatha Yoga Pradipika that in order to prepare your space for proper practice you need to build a straw hut with well-compacted cow dung for a floor.

Seriously.
BhujagaShaya
Posted 2010-04-19 4:54 PM (#122436 - in reply to #114009)

Bathing early in morning is part of shaucha. Cow dung is considered a purifying substance in Hinduism.

If I had to choose between studying with a teacher or practicing at home, I'd choose the latter. But doing both is best.

Edited by BhujagaShaya 2010-04-19 4:57 PM
yogabear
Posted 2010-04-21 5:22 AM (#122448 - in reply to #114009)

Regular

Thank you for the specifics, Saya. Point taken.

Is it true that 'Mysore style' means 'personal practice'?
Iraputra
Posted 2010-04-23 10:33 AM (#122484 - in reply to #122448)

Veteran

yogabear - 2010-04-21 5:22 AM

Is it true that 'Mysore style' means 'personal practice'?

Yes, Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga, as taught in the traditional Mysore style, is a supervised self practice, where each student moves through the practice at his or her own pace and level, and thus it is a one-on-one lesson within the group setting.

"The Mysore self-practice is unique compared to other asana classes. You practice at your own pace, by and large without interruption. There could be occasional comments from Guruji, such as, “Put it your head down!” or “No, no! Grab it your foot fingers!” or more rarely “Uh... correct.” There is little noise except for deep breathing and the occasional grunt. Mysore-style practice has both an intense quality and a quality of inward looking, of meditation. You simply do your practice, receive certain adjustments and wait for the next posture. Sometimes it is a long wait.
  Some students would come to Mysore, saying they were doing Intermediate and some Advanced, only to find that with Guruji half of the Primary sequence was where they were stopped. Guruji would not allow a student to progress without being able to successfully complete every posture. Frustrating for some, educational for others. It all depended on your mind-set." (Matthew Sweeney (2002): "Astanga Yoga as It Is", p. 4, 3rd Ed., 2005)

"After a certain time practicing the Primary sequence, and if the ability is there, a student might begin learning the Intermediate postures. One by one  these asana are added to the Primary asana, the total practice getting longer and longer. Eventually the student would practice only Intermediate. This is referred to as splitting the practice, that is, when a sequence is then practiced separately without adding those postures on to the previous sequence.
  From one day to the next a student goes from regularly practicing all of Primary and at least half of Intermediate per session (usually over two hours) to just doing Intermediate (maybe one hour). The Primary sequence is then practiced once a week. Depending on the student, this can be a relief or a shock. The same process occurs when learning Advanced asana." (Ibidem, Matthew Sweeney, p. 7)

"It is normal to want to move ahead, particularly as far as positive motivation and liveliness is concerned. The practice should never be lifeless, something new can be experienced every day, even if it is just a changed attitude. This forward looking attitude, however, should always be tempered with present tense awareness: stay in contact with what is rather than what should be." --- "In the Primary series there are a few core postures which are common stumbling blocks. They are Marichyasana D, Kurmasana, Garbha Pindasana and Baddha Konasana. All of these postures can be quite confronting and some time and patience is usually necessary for the body to adapt. It is quite common for a student to practice (or be taught) the whole sequence prior to exploring these core asana thoroughly. The final section of Primary is often more than a little messy as a result. Generally it is better to focus on these core postures first, rather than skimming over them to get to the finish line." (Ibid., Matthew Sweeney, p. 8)

So, traditionally it's up to the teacher — who has the experience/knowledge, and well-being of the student in mind — when to 'receive' or be 'given' a new pose. This has some obvious advantages. The somewhat too cautious/humble student may think he/she is not ready for the next pose — or the student might be too eager to move on to difficult poses which will after some time result in problems — while the teacher can be a more objective judge of how well or how fast the student is or should be moving ahead in the series; especially in estimating the quality of breath, bandha and drishti. In reality, it is a shared responsibility. The student has to be aware and attentive of what is going on, and communicate with the teacher if there are any issues of pain or other problems. And the student should of course develop a personal home practice.

Matthew Sweeney's book is full of useful pointers and tips on how to practice Ashtanga.

"Slow progress is good, fast progress is dangerous"  Sri K. Pattabhi Jois

lashannasmall
Posted 2010-04-29 9:31 PM (#122600 - in reply to #114009)

Practicing at home is great. Adding on Second is tricky. If you can safely move through all of primary with very little modifications and with good stamina, then maybe add on second. Don't add on second and modify stuff just so you can say you do second. If you do have a teacher, even if it is just a few times a month, I would just do what the teacher says.

The catch 22 is that Mysore practice once or twice a month really doesn't give the teacher time to really see your practice and evaluate what poses you need work on and what needs to be added on. Especially if it is a really busy Mysore class. Practice at home but get to Mysore as much as you can. Make the sacrifice. Your practice will improve quickly with Mysore practice. Trust me.
yogabear
Posted 2010-04-30 6:13 AM (#122609 - in reply to #114009)

Regular

I go every Sunday (usually ;) we all know how that goes). But my thing is to ask where I would put ***asana if I were to practice it (before actually doing Intermediate). If she tells me, then I take it to mean I can do it. That would be her opportunity to say something---and I am sure she would! lol

I agree with the "trying to get to class" thing. And this studio has a "none turned away" policy. The teacher always finds something I am completely unaware of, like exhaling too forcefully in certain poses for example.
lashannasmall
Posted 2010-04-30 7:19 AM (#122613 - in reply to #114009)

I wish there was someone doing Mysore everySsunday here. I would be there every week with no doubt.
Dont try to trick her yogabear!!! I would just ask straight up, "what skills do you think I need to work on to get to intermediate?" Also you have to master certain poses before you can drop off primary. You would be doing primary plus second for a while.
yogabear
Posted 2010-04-30 3:41 PM (#122616 - in reply to #114009)

Regular

Actually am in no hurry to do intermediate yet. It's all I can do to work on most of the primary series daily. I was curious so I asked her.

But when I am ready I will carefully ask again as you phrased it; thanks.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)