YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

An Introduction :)
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

bckilinn
Posted 2009-02-18 8:17 PM (#113766)
Subject: An Introduction :)

Hi everyone! I am new to this yoga forum and I just wanted to introduce myself. Rebecca is my name and I have been teaching yoga since 2003. I took a few years off and have been teaching again for the past year. I love it so much and I really love being a student. I believe though, that being a teacher is being a student for life. I can ALWAYS learn more - and that's why I am here!

I am also recently on a quest to become a better instructor. I have been concerned lately about my classes and whether or not they are good enough (am I good enough). However, I am beginning to think that it's my ego that is coming out and I want to correct it now and teach from my heart. That is what I really want - I want to teach from the <3!!

Namaste! Rebecca
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2009-02-18 10:19 PM (#113768 - in reply to #113766)
Subject: RE: An Introduction :)

Dear Rebecca: Best wishes to you. What is meant by less than 3? Some ego is necessary in order to teach Yoga Class. I am sure you shall be a great teacher from what you wrote.

Posted 2009-02-19 12:39 AM (#113770 - in reply to #113766)
Subject: Re: An Introduction :)

Hello and welcome Rebecca.
A very worthy pursuit, yours.

Namaste.

Edited by purnayoga 2009-02-19 12:39 AM
bckilinn
Posted 2009-02-19 6:40 AM (#113777 - in reply to #113766)

the <3 is meant to be a heart
mettagrl
Posted 2009-02-19 9:14 AM (#113782 - in reply to #113766)
Subject: Re: An Introduction :)

Hi, Rebecca! I'm Kim, relatively new here myself, & also a yoga teacher & student. I like to take classes from, read about, and articles/books by different teachers of varying methods of practice, which I find so exciting! My eclectic style works for me & keeps things very interesting. My point in bringing this up is that absorbing, retaining, integrating and finding a steady pace to share things with students has become in itself a lesson in balance between teaching from my head & heart.

This leads up to something I read in Baron Baptiste's book Journey into Power about this very thing. It's long, so if you get a chance to browse through the book, it's at the back in the chapter entitled Journeying Into Real Life, under the section called Shining On.

But the portion of text ends with this (I recommend reading the anecdote preceding this!)

"I threw away my doubts about who I truly was and went back to teaching from my heart. Attendance surged again, and I learned a very valuable lesson. I realized that I had educated myself right out of my common sense and innocence - what some call beginner's luck. I know now that if you truly believe in the presence within you, the love in your heart will guide you and you'll naturally flow from your inner light. Just show up, shine, and be yourself at whatever you are called to do. If you do that, you will be great!"

edit: he doesn't discourage educating oneself, but is merely suggesting one be careful not lose their genuine self in the process

Posted 2009-02-19 12:42 PM (#113789 - in reply to #113766)

Rebecca,
Don't think so much!!! Let your knowledge, your intelligence, your experience, your intuition and your insight flow. It will flow if you get out of the way. Let it flow in harmony with your students, not seperate from them. Trying to teach from the heart makes no more sense than trying to teach from the intellect or from your big toe. Teach, don't try to teach; as long as you are trying to do something, you are fragmented. Do it with your entire being, not a particular body part or imaginary entity. Don't hold back and watch yourself and critique. Give it your undivided all, and then just let it go. Insights will come when they are ready.
Namaste,
Jim
mettagrl
Posted 2009-02-19 2:32 PM (#113792 - in reply to #113789)

jimg - 2009-02-19 11:42 AM

...trying to teach from the intellect or from your big toe

I know this isn't directed towards me, but it makes me laugh! And from now on I'm going to tell myself to quit teaching from my big toe
AKBrooker1
Posted 2009-02-20 9:08 PM (#113820 - in reply to #113768)

Neel, I think you are right on but could you expound on your thoughts a bit. I can't quite find my own words to reason this so I would like to hear yours. Thanks.
bckilinn
Posted 2009-02-20 10:58 PM (#113821 - in reply to #113766)

Wow, you all have very helpful things to say. Thank you Mettagrl for the quote you added. I have started a yoga journal and that will be included.

I'll be honest here, I love to teach - but I still get nervous before every single class! some days are better than others. When I think about the class before it happens, the words flow to my mind and everything comes out perfect - but sometimes it doesn't happen that way. Or at least I feel that way, I am harder on myself than anyone I know! But all of this has me thinking too - because I know that I am just an instrument. I am here to help people find awareness. Awareness of their bodies and of a better way of life. I love it when final relaxation is over and everyone just sits up with a smile on their face - it makes me feel good inside that I helped to make others feel peaceful for a bit.

Well, that's it for now...it's late and I have a class in the morning. Thanks for all of your responses and advice. Keep it coming, I have a lot to learn from all of you.

Posted 2009-02-21 12:51 AM (#113823 - in reply to #113821)

bckilinn - 2009-02-20 7:58 PM

I'll be honest here, I love to teach - but I still get nervous before every single class!

Most great musicians, singers and actors are nervous before every performance. Teaching is also a performance. If you are totally blah about the class, your class will be totally blah, with no inspiration or creativity. Just make sure that you are nervous because you are excited about what you want to share and whether you will truly communicate and not nervous about whether people will like you or not or be impressed or whatever. You seem to have a wonderful attitude. I hope that it comes across in your classes.
kulkarnn
Posted 2009-02-21 12:55 AM (#113824 - in reply to #113820)

Dear AKB:

Ego means that one has a feeling of Themselves as different from others. Unless one feels that one is different person than the student, one can not teach the student. I mean teaching by one and learning by another can not take place. (If the reverse happens, there is a disaster!)

Also, a person who teaches is supposedly better than the student in the subject matter that is currently being taught. And, the teacher should feel so (ego!), otherwise, the teacher is in confusion and the teacher shall pass on the confusion to the student, I mean teach confusion!

May be the above is hopefully clear.

AKBrooker1 - 2009-02-20 9:08 PM

Neel, I think you are right on but could you expound on your thoughts a bit. I can't quite find my own words to reason this so I would like to hear yours. Thanks.
roypotter
Posted 2011-06-16 2:33 AM (#208678 - in reply to #113766)

Regular

Hello Rebecca,

Good to hear from you that you are going to teach yoga to your students. Thank you for your kindness. I wish you a successful yoga life.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)