YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Schumacher?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

rexall
Posted 2009-02-03 12:13 PM (#113344)
Subject: John Schumacher?

Wed 4 Feb 09, 12:09 am

Hi All,

Anyone familiar with the work of John Schumacher who has had an Iyengar center in the DC area for many years?

Anyone care to post a review and/or comments of his teaching and approach, particularly his videos and audios?

Thanks v. much.

Aloha,

Rex
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-02-03 6:41 PM (#113356 - in reply to #113344)
Subject: Re: John Schumacher?

I have not taken class with John so I cannot fulfill your request for a review. I will mention that he is one of only a few Americans to hold an Advanced Iyengar certificate.

Posted 2009-02-03 10:48 PM (#113358 - in reply to #113344)

he's got the goods, no doubt about it.
you can see a bunch of his videos on the youtube...i believe they're posted by the user ihanuman.
cassandra87
Posted 2009-02-06 7:30 PM (#113447 - in reply to #113344)

I took Yoga from John for a couple of years, and I still go to his studio, although I work with other teachers. If you are looking for strict Iyengar, he's great. His teaching style is very methodical, very analytical, and very clear. I moved to other teachers because, although I love Iyengar, I like it when teachers pull from other traditions as well. John is very strict Iyengar. He's also extremely knowledgeable, and can dell you where in your body you are feeling discomfort even before you tell him. I haven't used his audio yoga cd's, but I do have (and love) his audio pranayama cd. If true iyengar is what you are after, John is one of the best.
tourist
Posted 2009-02-08 10:59 AM (#113471 - in reply to #113447)

Expert Yogi

Best of luck on your surgery, Rex. I understand they typically go very well. Let us know when it is happening so we can send you some good vibes for support.
kulkarnn
Posted 2009-02-09 8:00 AM (#113494 - in reply to #113447)

Hey Rex: Take care. As I said or might have said in the past, you need a private lesson whether Iyengar style or otherwise.

rexall - 2009-02-08 5:15 AM

Sun 8 Feb 09, 5:06 pm

Thanks for these replies, guys. Very helpful. I am not sure how helpful an audio Iyengar sequence will be, but I will give it a try. The directions are quite detailed and "rapid fire", which I guess is good in once sense, but I would eventually like something with just a soft verbal cue with music in the background. Eventually won't need even the audio cues.

Although I really liked and benefited from my two Iyengar lessons in Bangkok, two sessions was not nearly enough to provide a foundation that would allow me to immediately begin practice on my own after returning home. I am not sure when I can get to Bangkok again; ending hernia surgery, even though it is supposed to be routine and "minor", is looming like a white elephant in the room making planning difficult until it is out of the way. Anyway, meanwhile, shall give John's audio a try.

Thanks for the reports.

Aloha,

Rex
YogiProf
Posted 2009-02-16 9:33 PM (#113704 - in reply to #113494)

I've been taking classes with John for 7 years, so I'm obviously inclined to think he's great. But, in truth, he IS an extraordinary teacher, in large part because he is totally knowledgeable about the poses and how to sequence classes. You learn so much just by listening to his way of describing how to get into the poses, and then by seeing how he puts together a class. But the youtube videos don't give much of a sense of his ability to see a group of students, adjust those who need it individually, while also responding to the energy in the room.

I also like that, although as one poster said, he is totally Iyengar style, he is not a groupie: he speaks about the method and the Iyengar family with greatest respect, but he is clear that each person is on their own path, and he is not a guru/Hindu-speak type of person -- very straightforward in his teaching.

That said, John is definitely a particular type of teacher, and if you are looking for a emotionally supportive, friendly, "you guys are so great!" kind of environment, his class is not that. It's not that he is NOT friendly or even sometimes enthusiastic, and he is definitely very funny, but he keeps the emotional temperature of the room on the cooler side. (Actually, I've learned a lot from him in my own teaching in college, since the over-enthusiasm that some teachers express doesn't exactly do a service to the students, who respond to supportive energy, but not necessarily to a kum-ba-ya type of atmosphere.)

Anyway, he's clearly one of the top teachers in the country, by any measure, and any serious (or not so serious) yogi in the DC area should not miss the chance to at least take a few classes with him.
jaikrsna
Posted 2009-02-25 3:50 PM (#113929 - in reply to #113344)

john schumacher is very respected iyengar yoga teacher.

very direct and to the point.

clear, precise, simple.
floatingyoga
Posted 2009-02-26 8:46 AM (#113942 - in reply to #113344)
Subject: RE: John Schumacher?

I have studied with John Schumacher a number of times, and love his style. He can get you in a pose and understand the pose, easily. I also have lived aboard for 14 years and used his audio cd's on a regular basis as I didn't have an Iyengar teacher, with these aids, I never felt deprived. If you can study with him, by all means, go with an open mind and choose for yourself.

Good luck with your surgery, I to am scheduled for surgery on the 12 of March for my knee.....

"Yoga is a mirror to look at ourselves from within."
BKS Iyengar
jaikrsna
Posted 2009-02-26 11:25 AM (#113951 - in reply to #113344)

rex, i like his audio sequences and dvd's. NOTHING compares to face2face realtime with a teacher.

i really dont practice with audios or dvd's but, end up listening/watching them; and my practice is seperate from that.

but, as far as just whether or not quality of product is good--definitely yes
Sati Suloshana
Posted 2009-04-13 8:22 PM (#115361 - in reply to #113344)

I like & respect John. I learned a tremendous amount from him. I have the basic audio CD but haven't used it lately. It is a bit too hard for me, I think. It will be quite valuable to you for the precision, I am sure.

I read about the following & it sounded good: It is an audio w/ a poster. Vinyasa style. I may buy it.

Lauren Peterson's Yogi's companion

You might want to buy Light on Yoga, the basic book by Iyengar, and perhaps also the Runner's World Yoga Book, if it is still in print.

Good luck!
Sati Suloshana
Posted 2009-04-13 8:28 PM (#115362 - in reply to #113344)

i noticed that one of John's teachers has some DVDs out. they might be worth trying. Yoga For Weight Loss for Beginners (2007)
Starring: Maggie Rhoades

I know you have said you prefer audios, but, it is certainly possible to do a DVD without looking at it much. that's what I do.
Iyengaryogagal
Posted 2009-04-28 1:35 AM (#115586 - in reply to #113344)

Iyengar yoga DVDs - have you looked at Manouso's websites and DVDs?
I've taken many classes with him - he's one of only two Advanced Senior Iyengar instructors in the US. His DVDs are excellent, and are like taking his classes in person. He is the BEST!
http://www.geocities.com/abodeofiyengaryoga/dvd.htm
Good luck!
Sati Suloshana
Posted 2009-05-03 2:58 PM (#115680 - in reply to #113344)

Hi, Iyengaryogagal. Did Manouso ever record the second side of the standing poses? I used the videocassette & I didn't like it because I had to rewind to get the 2nd side. I always really liked Manouso though. If he ever comes through my area again for a workshop I would definitely take some classes.

Posted 2009-05-03 3:43 PM (#115681 - in reply to #113344)

he has the second side on the dvds.
i'm going to his intensive in july.
i've studies with him before, but first time taking an intensive.
i'm a little nervous
Sati Suloshana
Posted 2009-05-03 6:47 PM (#115683 - in reply to #113344)

Great! I think I will buy the standing poses & the backbends DVDs. Good luck! My advice, don't go full out on the first class or 2 of the intensive. Take it a little bit easy & try to listen well. Save yourself for the later classes. They will be the most awesome.

Another note to Rex, & anyone else interested - I tried out some of the tracks on the Maggie Rhoades DVD this afternoon. I liked it. Solid Iyengar. For people not into Iyengar, it may move too slowly, but for me it is a valuable addition to my library. I think I will use the standing poses sections a lot, although for sun salutes & flows, I have other ones I like better. It has a little gentle music & a nice background of beach. Although not really a good presentation of the teacher's body. You cannot see much. I would have preferred it if she wore shorts.
Sati Suloshana
Posted 2009-05-03 6:52 PM (#115684 - in reply to #113344)

PS to Rex - even though you don't like DVDs, you prefer audio - I think the Maggie Rhoades DVD would be the thing to get. The visual isn't the primary thing, really; it's the clear & abundant Iyengar instructions. Although I do differ occasionally with her on some points. I don't think the head should be thrown back that far in up dog. I prefer to practice up dog with a softer neck & a gentle upward gaze. But then, I have had some neck issues in the past, so I'm very careful with my neck.
tourist
Posted 2009-05-04 10:09 AM (#115694 - in reply to #115681)

Expert Yogi

dhan - lucky guy! I have had one workshop with Manuso and very much enjoyed it.

Posted 2009-05-04 4:44 PM (#115704 - in reply to #113344)

yeah i'm pretty excited.
on the original topic of john schumacher, i had this dream last night where he was observing a class i was teaching.
it went horribly, and afterwards he told me that if i am teaching others, i need a teacher myself.
pretty unpleasant, but dream john schumacher is right.
Bay Guy
Posted 2009-11-17 10:16 PM (#119492 - in reply to #113447)

Expert Yogi

I did a workshop with John some years ago, and enjoyed it. Clearly on top of his game as an Iyengar teacher.

... bg
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)