YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bikrim to change my life :)
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Daisy_d
Posted 2009-01-30 6:12 AM (#113254)
Subject: Bikrim to change my life :)

Hello Everyone,

I have recently taken up Bikram yoga and I absolutely love it! I am looking at carrying on with a couple of classes a week and then taking the class for 30 consecutive days at the end of February.

From this Im hoping to improve my body strength / tone and loose some weight. I also want to get a bit of calm in my life. My job and life can be pretty stressful and I think this will help with that.
Finally I drink quite a bit and sometimes dabble in drugs which is something I want to stop.
Basically I want to change my life for the better and I really feel this could help put me on the right path.

Would anyone who has carried out the 30 days of Bikram beable to tell me what changes it had on their body and life?
Also I generally go to the gym and run outside a few times a week, would it be worth still going for a couple of runs a week or is Bikram enough alone?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-01-30 5:38 PM (#113272 - in reply to #113254)
Subject: RE: Bikrim to change my life :)

I did a 60 day challenge starting last June, and extended it to almost 100 days -- the studio closed for Hurricane Ike at like day 96. If you want to read about it in detail, you can check out my blog at bikram60day.blogspot.com

Duffy

Posted 2009-02-02 10:56 AM (#113320 - in reply to #113254)

i haven't done a bikram challenge per se, but these sorts of challenges aren't unique to bikram. so, i have done it with other schools of yoga. i find them to be a lot of fun. the real challenge is making sure that i get there, and now with the baby, that's tougher than ever!

i often notice that the whole practice feels lighter and therefore my body and mind must be stronger. it also creates a situatioin where you want to continue with the practice no matter what, multiple times per week! that's good business too. LOL!

beyond that, the alcohol/drugs thing is trickier. if the whole deal is very, very casual to you, then it is likely that yoga will change you and that even if you hang with the same friends, you'll be able to forgo drinking because you simply have no interest/desire.

but for a lot of people, drinking is more than that. socially, they find it difficult not to drink. this may mean finding new friends who do not drink or do not pressure others if they do. or, it may be that there is an addiction and even greater help would be good, such as a support group like AA.

it's really up to what the drinking is to you. you'll figure it out.
Daisy_d
Posted 2009-02-03 9:17 AM (#113337 - in reply to #113254)
Subject: Re: Bikrim to change my life :)

Hi Guys, Thanks for the responses.
Zoebird - drinking for me is a social thing and I do enjoy it but have just been drinking too much recently and I know its not good for me.
I have done weeks of not drinking before, plus I think the daily yoga will put me off wanting to drink / do drugs anyway.

Will start this at the end of Feb and will let you guys know how I get on.

Posted 2009-02-04 10:50 AM (#113368 - in reply to #113254)

cool!
auzzinc
Posted 2010-03-19 9:34 PM (#122019 - in reply to #113254)

Daisy how is it going ?
I find myself in a similar boat as you. I drink mostly 3 times a week and practice 4 to 6 mostly 7. i dabble in drugs as well.
I am also trying not to drink as much but find it difficult. The drugs seem to come in waves. I stopped smoking cigarettes so i was cutting myself some slack on the drinking and smoking pot.. Its been 4 months since i stopped smoking cigs and the weed consumption has gone down. But the drinking is still there.

Did the 30 day challenge help you with you vices ? Are you still running or doing any other exercise ?

I tried to do the 30 day challange but found scheduling problems with work and i also had my car die on me.. I am moving so i will be in walking distance of work and the studio. i am going to try again on april 1st..
I do love what bikram does for me. I have had chronic pain in my shoulder for years bikram has totally elevated the pain.
I almost feel like i would like to train to be a teacher not only to help others but to help me.
Anyway im rambling..
Thanks for listening.

Posted 2010-03-20 12:26 AM (#122025 - in reply to #113254)

Hi Auzzinc!
Wow, helluva bump :-)

First, it sounds like you're practicing a lot! Awesome. It sounds like you DO see progress. How long have you been practicing regularly?

Despite the relative anonymity of the internet, I am reluctant to share my whole story and what I've gotten out of attending Bikram yoga. But here's what I got. I'm no expert--this is just (part of) my story and reaction to yours. I have been practicing almost a year now, averaging 3-4x/week, sometimes more. I used to drink a couple of times a week--socially, alone, whatever. It would not be to the point of drunkenness, but I always hated it even as I desired that glass of wine at the end of the week. I felt kind of like the alcohol owned me.

Something happened about 2 months into yoga, though. The craving quietly went away (along with a desire to eat most meat!). At the same time, I developed the strength to tell all my friends that I was no longer a drinker. That was probably the hardest part, as I hate not fulfilling people's expectations! (Fortunately, my friends still love me :-)

One thing that helped was consciously taking my issues into the yoga room. It's almost like I hung them on the back wall near the doors as I practiced. Not that I thought about them while actually doing yoga, but somehow going to class and simultaneously acknowledging I was really there to work on my shit was helpful. Maybe that happens automatically, but I did think about it a little bit.

So... hope this helps, at least a little bit. My 'problem" wasn't as severe as some people's might be. I'm sure other things in my life fed into that positive change. But it's been over 7 months since I've had any alcohol and I don't miss it at all. I'm a much happier person all around! Give it time and patience :-) and let us know how ya do!

Edited by Randomfemale 2010-03-20 12:29 AM

Posted 2010-03-20 11:10 AM (#122031 - in reply to #122025)

Randomfemale - nice to read about your yoga practice, many benefits you have mentioned, in addition, yoga helped save money by stopping the urge to drink, is it not ?  Namaste

Posted 2010-03-22 4:57 PM (#122079 - in reply to #113254)

Thanks Antaraayaah! :-) You're right, not drinking is a great way to save money. I can't believe how little I pay when I go out to dinner with friends!
auzzinc
Posted 2010-03-24 3:37 PM (#122120 - in reply to #122025)

Hello again
Thanks so much for the support.. I really appreciate it.. Ive been practicing for about two months 5 to 7 times a week.

I guess i need to make some life changes. Im okay with that and i feel like its going to be a long road..
Right now Im just trying to feel good about myself and i want to get rid of the little bit of beer belly i still have. The transition from the gym to yoga has been good but ive lost some of my core bicep and chest strength however i hope over time i will reshape into a lean body.
Im starting today and only going to drink once a week.. And as far as smoking weed.. Every once in a while when i am really craving a cigarette.

Right now i cant imagine not drinking ever. I enjoy it and feel like im at least responsible about it. I dont drink and drive and really just drink a few beers here and there. But its just about every night. So that is going to stop no more casual beers for dinner or just cause everyone else is socially drinking.. Once a week i will allow myself the option to have some drinks. If i cant do that then i will re evaluate.
As far as the other drugs go i am going to just say no. Whats the point of detoxifying if im just re toxifying. My head and heart in the right place i just hope my brain follows.

I love this yoga community
everyone at my studio is so awesome and friendly.
Maybe i should start getting more involved and start forming new relationships..
Thanks again !!!
Torqued
Posted 2010-03-24 4:54 PM (#122122 - in reply to #113254)

Here's my story of what Bikram yoga has done for me so far:

http://bikram101.blogspot.com/2010/03/day-74-my-story.html

Edited by Torqued 2010-03-24 4:55 PM
auzzinc
Posted 2010-03-24 5:39 PM (#122124 - in reply to #113254)

That is a truly amazing story.
Puts things in perspective.. We all have our own battles. Its how we choose to fight them that makes the end result.
Seems to me like you are winning the battle.
Good for you!!!
Myself i can be my own worst enemy.
but i am working on that
Thanks again

Edited by auzzinc 2010-03-24 5:43 PM
Ram
Posted 2010-03-25 7:41 PM (#122144 - in reply to #113254)

Yoga can contribute to evenness of mind. Equanimy of your mind. The world of drugs and alcohol is a world of being up and down. Anybody addicted to any sensual activity (sex included) will feel like this.

Deep down you crave dicipline in your life. Bikram is a step in the right direction.

Thanks for sharing.
auzzinc
Posted 2010-03-26 1:11 AM (#122154 - in reply to #113254)

I do crave discipline. Thank god for bikram i dont know what id do without it..
However im a little worried that i will not be able to afford it when i move. I am currently doing a work study in exchange for practice.. And im planning on moving in the fall so hopefully i can make more money. Or figure something else out.
Thanks everyone for the advice i definitely need it.
my lake of direction is getting the best of me
Sorry Daisy for steeling you post.
psimmons
Posted 2010-04-01 8:13 PM (#122199 - in reply to #113254)

For myself, I have found Bikram to exceed other "types" of yoga...I understand that Bikram is simply a sample of Hatha yoga...but something about the sequence...perhaps its placebo...but it works for me.

Example. I had been doing a "modified bikram" for 6 full months prior to full bikram. It was a good workout (my mod...I did heavy on the warrior series and plank series to build arms). But after 1 month of bikram I felt better than in years...something about the sequence perhaps...but I am sold on it.

Meditation & Unity
Posted 2010-05-29 3:16 AM (#123216 - in reply to #113254)

Let me share some of the core benefits of Bikram Yoga,

What Benefits Can I Expect That Other Types Of Yoga Don't Necessarily Offer?
As well as providing the biggest challenge, the heat factor of Bikram yoga provides many of the disciplines' benefits:

> The output of cells which fight infection is increased
> Heavy sweating helps to detoxify entire body
> As the blood thins, the circulatory system is cleared
> In Bikram yoga, weight loss is made easier because your muscles are warmed and can burn fat more easily.
> The heart rate is elevated
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)