YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teach kids yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

tao
Posted 2009-01-05 11:31 PM (#112752)
Subject: Teach kids yoga

Hi - I am new to this forum. Nice content and very glad to find Iyengar yoga forum, which is my style of practice.

I am teaching kids some yoga at an elementary school as a volunteer. Kids love yoga! However, my time is so limited that I can only go to school for a couple of hours per week so only few kids have the chance to learn from me. One thought is for me to teach other teachers, especially physical education teachers, to teach yoga to kids. I am divided on this because Iyengar yoga schools always want a person maintain a steady personal practice for a couple of years before teaching anyone, which I think it makes perfect sense. Then there are yoga for kids programs out there that bring yoga into classrooms. They open to anyone who want to learn, and they usually teach right away.

Do you think yoga teachers for kids also need to maintain steady personal practice first?

Thanks for your opinions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-01-05 11:53 PM (#112755 - in reply to #112752)
Subject: Re: Teach kids yoga

yes.
any teaching should come from a place of personal knowledge and experience that can only be gained through practice.
that said, the practice i would do to teach children is vastly different from the practice i would do to teach 20-somethings, senior citizens, gen-x-ers or baby boomers...
tao
Posted 2009-01-07 8:04 PM (#112801 - in reply to #112755)

dhanurasana, I can understand the way to teach kids and other ages are different, but not sure how that applies to personal practice? do you mean I need to get into a mind of a kid when I do my personal practice in order to teach them?

Could you elaborate more please?

tao
floatingyoga
Posted 2009-01-30 8:34 AM (#113256 - in reply to #112752)
Subject: RE: Teach kids yoga

in answer to your question! Yes. I teacher children yoga and without my personal practice, I would never be able to keep up and share my experiences with them. Teaching children is not the same as adults. They ask questions, move much faster and you must be able to be very flexible in your ways. Lots of times your prepared lesson plan is out the window. Our private practice brings us awareness. We need to be totally aware of the children's needs as they are very aware. I am a CYKF and teach around the world, in village, schools, studios, and I also work with challenge children.
jaikrsna
Posted 2009-02-22 8:45 PM (#113842 - in reply to #112752)

from your post, it sounds that you are NOT Iyengar-certified, but simply practice the style? it goes without saying that, teachers should have a personal practice before considering teaching
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)