YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I'm looking for blue vegetables.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

belle vie
Posted 2008-12-27 9:59 AM (#112546)
Subject: I'm looking for blue vegetables.

Veteran

In this season of culinary excess I am fantasizing about creating a vegetable platter based on the color spectrum. Any ideas, anyone? I've figured out some of the easy ones ie. carrots and tomatoes , beets, eggplant but what about blue vegetables? -- not fruits, that's too easy, but I may have to turn to edible flowers such as pansies for blue. I thought Cyndi, our resident gastronome, might know.

Bon appetit
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-12-27 12:50 PM (#112552 - in reply to #112546)
Subject: RE: I'm looking for blue vegetables.

Other than blue fruits or flowers, what about blue corn or potatoes?
Cyndi
Posted 2008-12-27 5:56 PM (#112557 - in reply to #112552)

Expert Yogi

I've had orange and purple cauliflower. Love those purple potatoes with them too. Sorry, purple is the closest I can get to blue.....although, I think blue pansies are very nice...and edible. The deer around here love them.

I feel like I have to say this....there are some colors that are just meant to be fruit and flowers, it's hard to come up with a blue veggie...I don't think such an animal exists.

Oh well....You can always garnish a colorful veggie dish laced with some fresh blueberries,

Jim, I've never seen a blue potato. Where do we find these in the states??
belle vie
Posted 2008-12-28 9:14 AM (#112572 - in reply to #112546)

Veteran

Thanks, Cyndi and Jim.
Blue is difficult--to paraphrase Kermit the frog "It's not easy being blue" --if you are a vegetable

Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember blue corn, something about blue corn meal. I have seen Indian corn of multiple colors and maybe even entirely blue back in the states in Michigan many years ago but not here in France.

Blue potatoes, I'm not sure, are they from the Andes? We have purple potatoes here but they are not truly "blue".

I'll keep working on it. I'm getting pretty close with all the "new" old fashioned root vegetables available here. "Forgotten vegetables " they are called and they are the new "black" for les grand chefs.

Speaking of black , maybe I should take a closer look at the skin of the black radish. I'm not sure if it is really deep brown, green, purple or blue.

Anyway all this would make a great winter soup

Posted 2008-12-28 11:41 AM (#112578 - in reply to #112572)

"Blue" (purple) potatoes come in various shades of purple, some almost blue, some much more purple/reddish and some almost black.

I'm not sure that blue corn would be available in France, but it is available in North America.

You might try staining a light colored vegetable (like cauliflower) blue with blueberries. Maybe sauteed with blueberries, mustard seeds, ginger, lime juice, and jalapeno peppers.

Posted 2008-12-28 2:22 PM (#112582 - in reply to #112578)

Three blue possibilities for France:
African Blue Basil
Lavender (edible and kind of blue)
Purple Passion Asparagus (more blue than purple)
belle vie
Posted 2008-12-29 10:12 AM (#112593 - in reply to #112546)

Veteran

Hi, Jim, Your suggestions got me thinking. Lavender, thyme and rosemary all have blue flowers ranging in hue. Of course they are herbs, not vegetables but could be sprinkled over the veggies.

African "blue" basil, as I know it is too purple for the blueberry blue I'm looking for as are the purple asparagus. But the range and subtlety of the blue range is magnificent. It would make a beautiful display. All of this is the art historian in me speaking not to mention the gourmand.

Your cauliflower recipe sounds delicious. I'm going to try it, unfortunately without the blueberries right now. They would provide a wonderful sweet sour accent in addition the the color.

Thanks again
Cyndi
Posted 2008-12-29 11:49 AM (#112596 - in reply to #112593)

Expert Yogi

Be careful combining lavender with thyme and rosemary...it might be a bit much for veggies. Lavender is really good with turkey and meats....rosemary and thyme do well with vegetables. I like Rosemary herbed bread, with fresh pressed Olio.

belle vie
Posted 2008-12-30 9:00 AM (#112610 - in reply to #112546)

Veteran

Hi, Cyndi, You are right about the lavender. It can knock your socks off unless used descretion. Yet some insist it is an essential herb in the Herbes de Provence blend. Of course, others do not agree, everybody has their own recipes. Tourists seem to like the lavender mix, seems "more authentic" . I still love the scent even if I do not use it in cooking very often. The search is proving very interesting and that's the point I guess.

Have a Happy New Year--All
tourist
Posted 2008-12-30 4:56 PM (#112620 - in reply to #112610)

Expert Yogi

This tourist likes lavender. Had some lavender ice cream at a very good restaurant once. Yum!
belle vie
Posted 2008-12-31 10:10 AM (#112631 - in reply to #112546)

Veteran

Maybe w could have lavander icecream for dessert, Tourist

Posted 2008-12-31 3:45 PM (#112635 - in reply to #112631)

Elizabeth,
Red or purple cabbage is purple when it has a neutral pH. If it becomes acidic (vinegar or dry red wine), it turns red, like German red cabbage (Rot Kohl). If it becomes alkaline, it turns blue. Maybe it is time for some kitchen chemistry experiments!
Jim

PS I'm not giving up on your blue vegetables!
belle vie
Posted 2009-01-01 10:36 AM (#112647 - in reply to #112546)

Veteran

You're right, Jim. Everytime I make saurbraten ( I haven't in years since i do not eat red meat) but when I do, I make a 'purple' cabbage/apple side dish. To make it I add vinegar and it turns a luscious shade of deep red purple.

I saw the most gorgeous blue/purple cabbage at my green grocer's the other day. Was it too akaline or was it a trick of those special vegetable market spot lights or was it just a wonderful shade of purple?

I have not given up on your book. I'm just waiting for my guilt feelings to overcome my writer's block
Ginkgo
Posted 2009-03-11 9:54 PM (#114480 - in reply to #112546)

The purple-blue potatoes are from Peru but all the potatoes originated in Peru and were exported to other countries. There is purple-red cabbage.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)