YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Terrorism in Mumbai
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

kulkarnn
Posted 2008-11-29 10:26 AM (#112159)
Subject: Terrorism in Mumbai

Darling YogaComites: I do not watch tv regularly. However, I had a chance to watch 5 min of TV which showed live the Mumbai situation. Regardless of my ignorance of political and social situations, I feel this incidence directly goes to the spirituality of the world. I want to therefore initiate this discussion.

Q1: Is it not necessary to know the exact cause of this terrorism and address it directly?

Q2: Is it not stupid or misleading to come up with mock up solutions, ranging wars on terrorism with temporary solution in mind, and exploit the common people through taxes and otherwise to mislead them that all world govts are doing something about the situation.

Q3: What do you think is the cause of this terrorism in the root?

Peace
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2008-11-29 10:36 AM (#112160 - in reply to #112159)
Subject: RE: Terrorism in Mumbai

Expert Yogi

Neel - interesting to look at this from an intellectual perspective. As I had 3 friends en route to Pune that day, I had only visceral and emotional responses to the news. All three are safe in Pune now, though one was at the airport in Mumbai shortly after the attacks and the other two had their planes diverted to other airports for a time. I had really only been thinking about them and not the bigger picture for the past couple of days.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-11-29 11:11 AM (#112163 - in reply to #112159)
Subject: Re: Terrorism in Mumbai

Whew, three big huge questions Neel. Causes of terrorism: the distribution of wealth, religious intolerance, terrorist acts to try and solve terrorism, hmm, I know there are many more reasons, or excuses, lame excuses for using violence. Maybe they are just enjoying the violence.

Praying for Peace, Shelly
Stressless02
Posted 2008-11-29 1:56 PM (#112164 - in reply to #112160)

Hi tourist,

Terrorists have only imaginary reasons for their acts of terror. No religion can really condone terror because terror targets the innocents. There is no justification for any such horrors which are rained on people who may have no political leanings whatsoever.

Unfortunately, terrorism has spread almost throughout the world. It looks like anything can happen anywhere.

kristi
Posted 2008-11-30 4:31 AM (#112169 - in reply to #112164)

Veteran

As I see it, 2 are the main existing roots for terrorism in our days, dear Neel

fanatism on the one side and greed on the other...

To my opinion, both can only be extinguished by nothing else, than the rise and the spread of a new, strong, massive, open-minded ideology of non violence and of a simple way of living (like it had started happening in the 60s...?)
belle vie
Posted 2008-11-30 6:34 AM (#112170 - in reply to #112159)

Veteran

Dear Neel, I just found this article from the New York Times which gives a defiant, joyous answer to terrorim there and anywhere but I am not sure all would agree with it. I would be interested in your opinion and that of others on the forum.

I lived in India many years ago, visited then Bombay, even stayed at the Taj. Like the author of the article , I too bleed for Mumbai and for India.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/29/opinion/29mehta.html?em
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-11-30 10:44 AM (#112173 - in reply to #112170)

belle vie - 2008-11-30 6:34 AM

Dear Neel, I would be interested in your opinion and that of others on the forum.

thanks. what I want to ask is: the terrorists asked the hotel person for the rooms where Americans and British are staying. That means they definitely have something agains America and Britain. What is it? Can USA and Britain resolve that matter?
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2008-11-30 8:19 PM (#112183 - in reply to #112159)

What they seem to want from Americans is to kill us. If they killed us all, that would probably resolve the matter. Or at least, then they would turn their attention to someone else. Short of killing us, I think they might be satisfied with completely subjugating us.

Also I'm not sure its worthwhile to pay that much attention to their immediate demands. Look at the wars and civil wars from around the world -- from the Sudan, to Nigeria, to Indonesia, to Sri Lanka. The vast majority of these conflicts spring, at least in part, from the claims of fundamentalist Islamists. In many of the civil conflicts, the immediate demand is to recognize some kind of ethnic separatist movement, but frequently the ethnic separatists are trying to impose a fundamentalist Islamic state on at least part of a country.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-11-30 9:47 PM (#112184 - in reply to #112183)

So, dear Duffy:

you do not think it has anything to do with American presence in Middle East, presence in Iraq, Oil, etc.?
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2008-12-01 10:21 AM (#112187 - in reply to #112184)

Neel:

America's presence in those areas has contributed to making it a target.

I think oil is a factor largely because terrorist acts tend to increase the price of oil. Thus, the oil producing states can make a bigger profit, for a very small investment, by supporting terrorist organizations. When something blows up elsewhere, Iran and Saudi Arabia stand to make big money from the instability the terror brings.

Given both of the above, and for other reasons, I tend to favor any steps that would get America off of a petroleum economy. But if we did achieve that, and got out of the middle east, I don't think that would end terrorism or the violent spread of fundamental Islam.

One reason is because many of the terrorists are alienated adolescents. Some people will latch onto the current political environment so that they can feel justified in killing others. Thus, many of the same people who are now terrorists would have been anarchists in the early 1900s, fascists in the 1930s, communist sympathizers in the 1950s, student radicals in the 1960s, etc... I don't know if there is anything to be done about this sort of person -- because the "cause" is largely irrelevant.

As for Islam, it has converted people by the sword since its inception. A group of people fervently believes that others must either convert or die, and they are willing to die for that belief. Just going away, or giving in to some of there lesser demands, is not going to stop them.

Duffy
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-12-02 12:29 AM (#112195 - in reply to #112187)

Fantastic response dear Duffy. I thank you from the heart.

Neel

Duffy Pratt - 2008-12-01 10:21 AM

Neel:

America's presence in those areas has contributed to making it a target.

I think oil is a factor largely because terrorist acts tend to increase the price of oil. Thus, the oil producing states can make a bigger profit, for a very small investment, by supporting terrorist organizations. When something blows up elsewhere, Iran and Saudi Arabia stand to make big money from the instability the terror brings.

Given both of the above, and for other reasons, I tend to favor any steps that would get America off of a petroleum economy. But if we did achieve that, and got out of the middle east, I don't think that would end terrorism or the violent spread of fundamental Islam.

One reason is because many of the terrorists are alienated adolescents. Some people will latch onto the current political environment so that they can feel justified in killing others. Thus, many of the same people who are now terrorists would have been anarchists in the early 1900s, fascists in the 1930s, communist sympathizers in the 1950s, student radicals in the 1960s, etc... I don't know if there is anything to be done about this sort of person -- because the "cause" is largely irrelevant.

As for Islam, it has converted people by the sword since its inception. A group of people fervently believes that others must either convert or die, and they are willing to die for that belief. Just going away, or giving in to some of there lesser demands, is not going to stop them.

Duffy
Cyndi
Posted 2008-12-02 8:29 AM (#112197 - in reply to #112195)

Expert Yogi

My response to this NB is this situation is very complex. You can't just look at it as right or wrong, they did this and they did that. There are many people suffering in our world. If we look deep into the root causes of this suffering you will find many many things going on. It's not that cut and dry. What I fail to understand about the West is that so many cultures and people are starving, doing without basic needs, barely surviving, while the rest of us live in our comfortable worlds in complete denial of what is happening on the planet. It's a major sacrifice - on so many levels, and in my opinion, will be the demise of the earth!

One thing is for sure and is the main root cause of all...People are greedy, selfish, self-centered, think they're the only ones living on the planet, have no respect for nature and the natural world, eat too much crap, overindulge, and live in denial thinking that the rest of the world is disgusting, when it's really the other way around.

Edited by Cyndi 2008-12-02 8:34 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)