YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poll Mind too busy
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

AlexanderZero
Posted 2008-10-19 2:56 PM (#111457)
Subject: Mind too busy

I've tried meditating a few times but I really have trouble clearing my mind. I've only managed to get it to a state where the most active level of my conscious is clear, but there are still active thoughts freely roaming through my head that it feels like no matter how many I dismiss they just keep coming back. Thinking about nothing is very hard for me. If I meditate with other people they can always clear their mind but in mine it just feels like there are so many levels of conscious thought that elude me. Also, it's a little harder where I live since there is sound coming from my fridge, animals outside, and a major roadway by my house.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2008-10-19 9:34 PM (#111459 - in reply to #111457)
Subject: RE: Mind too busy

Expert Yogi

Alexander - basically the best advice is to continue to practice. You don't really know what is going on in other people's minds and it doesn't really matter. Yoga and meditation are very self-involved, or should I say Self-involved. And noise is just noise. Even in a monastery in Tibet there will be noise. Meditation is not for the faint of heart. Keep showing up to sit every day and see how it goes.
jpk
Posted 2008-10-20 5:06 PM (#111505 - in reply to #111457)

Hi Alexander,

While seconding Tourist's advice I would add the suggestion that you don't try to empty your mind (I'm advised that it is fantastically difficult), but instead focus on one thing, for example feeling peaceful, or an uplifting image of some kind. You can use a religious item if that's your inclination. When the thoughts pop up and distract you just put them gently aside and remember to go back to your focus.

I get noise from the fridge too. And when the central heating comes on early in winter they seem to take turns in denying me silence but I hardly notice now and it will bother you less and less the more you practise. Maybe an early start would have less road noise to deal with?

All the best,
John

Cyndi
Posted 2008-10-21 9:12 AM (#111520 - in reply to #111505)

Expert Yogi

Actually, the idea is to empty the mind...to empty all thoughts is the goal. That is not the same thing as one-pointed meditation practice, or visualization practice. This is the basic training technique for beginners. While you may not know what that feels like, yet, training the mind to be still is a very important aspect of meditation. Chogyam Thrungpa had a neat way of describing this to his students. Whenever you would realize your mind was wondering around with thoughts, he said to say to yourself "thinking", realize it and find the discipline with practice. How long that may take depends upon the practictioner.
Oz1
Posted 2008-10-23 10:56 PM (#111579 - in reply to #111457)

Alexander,

You have received 3 great answers. They are different yet very helpful. I suggest that you stop focusing so much on clearing your mind. There are thousands of techniques, but meditation is mostly about attitude. Showing kindness, patience - compassion - for yourself is the most important thing. Meditation means awareness and all these sounds and things that seem to disturb you are simply mantras (any points of concentration) that you're becoming aware of. Enjoy listening to them and becoming aware of all these things.

Also, the other people you mention who can clear their minds... Perhaps they're just not as perceptive of the layers of consciousness as you are. Or perhaps they are forcing their thoughts/mantras to go away. Like kicking a dog instead of gently touching his head, befriending him and letting him exist. This is not the best way to meditate. You sound like someone who is aware and have the makings of a great meditator. Forget about what others say or do. Do it your own way, and simply observe and listen to your mind. That's how you learn to meditate the smart, mindful way.

Posted 2008-10-24 12:54 PM (#111593 - in reply to #111579)

The contents of your mind are the same no matter whether you consciously acknowledge their existence or not. The contents of your mind are the same whether you are awake, asleep, conscious or unconscious. You cannot clear your mind. You can only concentrate your consciousness on non-verbal content while repressing the verbal content. While this can be a useful exercise, I see meditation as quietly sitting and observing (everything, including verbal and non-verbal activity); without judgment, desire, condemnation or choosing. If you quietly observe, become really aware, you will get spontaneous insights on many different levels. This is the same as being open to love or creativity. You cannot make them happen, but you can be open so that when they do happen, you are ready to receive them.

If you are trying to get something from meditation, you will be blocking out everything that does not fit your preconceived idea and will interpret everything you experience as the thing that you desire. Why not just observe with an open mind and see what happens.

Your mind (like your body) is a use it or lose it proposition. You can strengthen or weaken parts or the whole from use, disuse or abuse. This is because your mind/body is a process not a thing. We are constantly building and/or allowing parts to slip into disrepair. Since we have consciousness (also a process), we have the ability to use parts of our mind/body more or less. This is the only way to make bigger muscles or make your mind less busy. The process is slow, but whatever we repeat, we become. If you lift weights, you become strong. If you fight your busy mind, it will become more busy. If you relax and observe, your mind will become more quiet.

If you have a busy mind, that is who you are. Until you accept who you are right now, all the meditation or clearing your mind in the world will not make any difference. Get to know your busy mind. Get to know the present moment.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-10-25 9:50 AM (#111610 - in reply to #111593)

Expert Yogi

The Tibetan Rinpoche I studied under used to tell the class that Westerners "think" too much. Sometimes he would refrain from teaching certain practices for this reason.

He felt that most of us were over-achievers and over-thinkers. Most of the time when people would come to him about their problems and dramas, he'd say, "forget about it" that's past...even if that past was only a few seconds ago,

He was a cool Rinpoche and so much fun to be around.

Posted 2008-10-25 7:54 PM (#111625 - in reply to #111610)

Cyndi - 2008-10-25 6:50 AM

The Tibetan Rinpoche I studied under used to tell the class that Westerners "think" too much.

He felt that most of us were over-achievers and over-thinkers.

Exactly! That is why we need to quietly observe (not analyze or condemn) our "over-achiever/over-thinking" minds so that we can understand them better instead of repressing them and trying to be something other than what we are. Only that which is can be transformed. Once we clearly see where we are and what we are doing, the transformation happens on its own. Understanding leads to transformation. Repression leads to neurosis.

SOOOOOOOOOO,
If you want a clear mind, don't repress the chatter; quietly observe it; simply observe and accept whatever comes up. Whatever you observe is the present moment and it is reality; your current reality. It is the only place where you can start your journey.
tannage
Posted 2008-10-27 9:32 AM (#111642 - in reply to #111457)

Jimg makes a good point. Meditation should not be goal-orientated. I think the moment you fixate upon a certain goal such as clearing the mind, you make it harder to clear the mind because some part of your consciousness is going to be focussing on it.

Unless you have tremendous mental discipline, it's very difficult to simply "clear your mind". Mantras and single point of focus is a trick, a head-fake to help you get into the right state.

It's not the way, but a way

Edited by tannage 2008-10-27 9:38 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2008-10-29 6:01 PM (#111671 - in reply to #111642)

Expert Yogi

Ahh yes, "Journey without goal"...another good book by Chogyam Trungpa. I don't think its in print anymore though...great read.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-10-29 6:12 PM (#111673 - in reply to #111457)

Dear AZ: I do not know whether you are reading the responses to your original message. And, whether you feel your query is answered. You already have a goal to clear the mind, empty the mind, or whatever.

If you remove the goal, you have no question to ask.

If you still have the goal, you have to know what your question exactly means. Emptying the mind? I am unable to give you Meditation instruction here. You can refer to my material or attend classes. But, I shall give you my answer: Emptying the mind is not an action, it is a result. You should not check it frequently.
Ram
Posted 2008-11-06 11:25 PM (#111820 - in reply to #111593)

jimg - 2008-10-24 12:54 PM

The contents of your mind are the same no matter whether you consciously acknowledge their existence or not. The contents of your mind are the same whether you are awake, asleep, conscious or unconscious. You cannot clear your mind. You can only concentrate your consciousness on non-verbal content while repressing the verbal content. While this can be a useful exercise, I see meditation as quietly sitting and observing (everything, including verbal and non-verbal activity); without judgment, desire, condemnation or choosing. If you quietly observe, become really aware, you will get spontaneous insights on many different levels. This is the same as being open to love or creativity. You cannot make them happen, but you can be open so that when they do happen, you are ready to receive them.

. Get to know the present moment.

Some good points. the only one I would stay away from is the word "repress". The harder you try the worse the results. But like jmg says simply sit and observe EVERYTHING without judgment. A good approach would be to witness what comes out of the mind. Your mind is actually self conscious of itself and you will find it quieting down. But it doesnt quiet down through any effort. And the most important point about learning how to meditate? By meditating. Meditation begets meditation.
In the west we are taught to "think". In the east they value "empyting the bucket (mind)". The ultimate result of mediation is a quiet effective purified mind.
sally.towns
Posted 2008-11-13 2:32 PM (#111912 - in reply to #111457)

I use mediation every single day to calm my nerves and create focus around my goals and desired outcomes in life.

Another method I use on top of meditation is the use of a vision boards. Have you ever heard of them? They are images pasted on a board that represent your hopes, dreams, and goals. Studying these boards every days plants seeds of these goals within your subconscious mind.

Your subconscious mind is where all of your habits are formed. Combine these visualizations with mediation and self-affirmations, and the seed of your goal in your subconscious mind will begin to grow, sprouting a newly developed habit that is oriented towards your desired outcome, or goal.

John Assaraf does a better job of explaining this and showing you how to do it in his new book "The Complete Vision Board Kit." I downloaded the free chapter here at www.TheVisionBoardKit.com.
stanc
Posted 2008-11-16 6:15 PM (#111970 - in reply to #111457)
Subject: Re: Mind too busy

Have a general question about when you all meditate. Does everyone meditate on a set time like top of the hour, bottom of the hour or just random? Thanks..

Posted 2008-11-16 6:22 PM (#111971 - in reply to #111970)

Whatever works for you.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-11-16 6:56 PM (#111974 - in reply to #111970)

Expert Yogi

stanc - 2008-11-16 6:15 PM

Have a general question about when you all meditate. Does everyone meditate on a set time like top of the hour, bottom of the hour or just random? Thanks..

I have a Tibetan Bowl timer....but, I hardly ever use it...unless I'm doing very long savasana's. Otherwise, I simply meditate till I'm done. I don't set a time limit on meditation.
Stressless02
Posted 2008-11-27 11:20 AM (#112124 - in reply to #111457)

Hi AlexanderZero,

You have to keep on meditating till you reach the stage where your mind is empty. As thoughts keep coming in, keep pushing them away and continue with your relaxation techniques.

If you keep on doing this sincerely, you will find that the noises in your mind will quieten down. As for everyday sounds, they usually do not intrude into your conscious mind. If there are too many traffic sounds, maybe you can find a room in your house which is quieter. You need to find the silence within yourself.

Check out this site, it may help:

http://www.emptyyourcup.com

Check out this site - it may help you:
21 Stress-Stopper Formulas For a Healthy and Happy Life

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)