YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Foods naturally high in sodium
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

pelonis
Posted 2008-09-19 5:59 PM (#110956)
Subject: Foods naturally high in sodium

hi,

I have this strange medical condition which gives me lot of problems (headache, chest tightness etc) if I eat even very low amounts of sodium. It happens with regular table salt and also with natural Himalayan and Celtic salts.

Doctors did lot of tests but could not find anything.

If I don't eat salt at all I feel a lot better. But I also feel very weak and after sometime my mind just does not work.

Now I have only one option. I need to avoid adding salt to my food completely but eat foods that are naturally high in sodium. Doctors say a person needs 500 mg of Na per day but I observed that if I go below 1500 mg I feel very weak.

I read on the web that sprouted pinto beans have 43 mg of sodium per 28 g of beans. Also, raw beetroot has 54 mg of sodium per 100 g serving size.

But I need to get around 1500 mg of sodium. I am looking for other foods that are naturally high in sodium. Any suggestions please? I am not able to plan my diet to get this 1500 mg of sodium naturally. Thank you.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
hnia
Posted 2008-09-30 10:03 AM (#111114 - in reply to #110956)
Subject: RE: Foods naturally high in sodium

You might try seaweed.
Ginkgo
Posted 2009-03-11 10:03 PM (#114481 - in reply to #110956)

Salt, even sea salt, contains huge amounts of sodium. IF you put 4 teaspoons of salt in water and drink it, you will die. It is inorganic sodium and contributes to most Americans over 60 having high blood pressure.

Seaweeds, like kelp, are high in trace minerals and sodium. Celery is high in sodium and eating celery can lower high blood pressure.
jimmyk007
Posted 2009-03-16 3:41 PM (#114610 - in reply to #110956)

It's actually the first time I've heard of a case like yours, but since you're asking, I think it will be better for you to eat spicy food and anything dairy (cheese, etc.). they seem to contain a lot of sodium but they should be taken in moderation cause it will also be defective to your body.

You can also choose foods with additives that are high in Monosodium Glutamate (MSG). But then again, it;s not that healthy.
beautiluck
Posted 2010-03-22 6:59 AM (#122066 - in reply to #110956)
Subject: Re: Foods naturally high in sodium

Jimmy Is It Ok For Him To Eat spicy?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)