YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Iyengar: tail wagging the dog?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

rexall
Posted 2008-09-17 4:09 AM (#110872)
Subject: Iyengar: tail wagging the dog?

Wed 17 Sep 08, 2:57 pm

Hi all, especially Ms. Tourist!

Certainly, I miss not being able to find a hatha-type class whose approach is methodical and analytical, focused on proper alignment, et al, but I wonder about Iyengar. Although I was initially attracted to Iyengar, based only upon my reading, as I continue to read, I wonder of all this prop stuff can easily become a distraction, a mis-direction, an exercise in the "tail wagging the dog"?

Anyway, I do have a specific question. There is an accredited Iyengar studio in Bangkok. http://iyengar-yoga-bangkok.com/ . It is about double the cost of other studios, and going to Bangkok is pretty much like a trip to the 9th Circle of Hell, as far as I am concerned! With apologies to all the Bangkok lovers out there! One way or another, I am sure I will check it out on my next trip to the Big Mango. What I am wondering is if I book a long, private lesson and follow with 2 or 3 classes, will that be enough to give me something that I can take home with me and integrate into my current practice? And if so, any suggestions for what I should do or how I should approach such a "hit and run" experience?

Thanks, lah!

Aloha,

Rex

Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-09-17 7:01 AM (#110876 - in reply to #110872)
Subject: RE: Iyengar: tail wagging the dog?

Dear RexAll: It is NOT that props make life complex. But, it is one's association with them life complex. If one has big space and 25 props that can be kept clean and spaced out, there will be no complexity. This is an example. I teach a class with and without props, I can teach a class of 100 students in 15 by 15 ft room, and a class of 5 persons in 100 by 100 ft room, both with equal productivity and satisfaction. So, it is not room, but my association with it that makes things complex or simple.

About your question about private classes: I only took 10 classes from my first yoga teacher in 1976 and then studied with BKS on his asking in 1985 for 5 months. After that I took only two 1 hour private classes in my life. I paid 110 dollars for the first 1 hour and 130 dollars for the second hour. I never needed a class after that as you can see from my website.

But, that depends on your background and practice. I did not miss my practice even on my wedding day or the days when my mother and father passed away.

If you can come to VA, you can avoid Bangkok. Or we can meet in Singapore in this winter.

rexall - 2008-09-17 4:09 AM

Wed 17 Sep 08, 2:57 pm

Hi all, especially Ms. Tourist!

Certainly, I miss not being able to find a hatha-type class whose approach is methodical and analytical, focused on proper alignment, et al, but I wonder about Iyengar. Although I was initially attracted to Iyengar, based only upon my reading, as I continue to read, I wonder of all this prop stuff can easily become a distraction, a mis-direction, an exercise in the "tail wagging the dog"?

Anyway, I do have a specific question. There is an accredited Iyengar studio in Bangkok. http://iyengar-yoga-bangkok.com/ . It is about double the cost of other studios, and going to Bangkok is pretty much like a trip to the 9th Circle of Hell, as far as I am concerned! With apologies to all the Bangkok lovers out there! One way or another, I am sure I will check it out on my next trip to the Big Mango. What I am wondering is if I book a long, private lesson and follow with 2 or 3 classes, will that be enough to give me something that I can take home with me and integrate into my current practice? And if so, any suggestions for what I should do or how I should approach such a "hit and run" experience?

Thanks, lah!

Aloha,

Rex

tourist
Posted 2008-09-17 11:01 AM (#110884 - in reply to #110872)

Expert Yogi

Hi Rex - yes indeed the props can become a distraction and we can get wrapped up in playing with the "toys" and forget about the purposes they serve. We always need to be aware of that and keep going back to the classic pose to see if and when props serve the purpose we intend. OTOH, pushing into a pose that really requires a prop may cause injury, so we need to be aware of that as well.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-09-18 10:31 AM (#110922 - in reply to #110876)

Thanks Dear Rexall. No, my schedules are not posted on website. Because, it is given only to my mail list. I teach in a relaxed schedule and commit when myself and other party have commited. If you are sure about singapore or even thailand, I can come, provided things work out between us. You can also come to India if you like. Marlboro is not far from me in VA. But, I shall probably not be in VA in winter months.

Best Luck.

rexall - 2008-09-18 4:43 AM

Thu 18 Sep 08, 3:31 pm

Hi Neel,

Thanks for the kind reply. Your suggestion that only a few Iyengar classes might be helpful is encouraging. I can't avoid Bangers (Bangkok) indefinitely; immigration other chores undoubtedly will need attending to. I can probably make time for a few classes on one of those trips.

I would like to see you in Virginia any time. In fact, I have an uncle who lives in Upper Marlboro, Maryland, probably not to far from you. However, I have not been in the States for more than 10 years, and have no immediate plans. However, Singapore is more realistic. Singapore is great! I lived there for two years, and on another occasion for 6 months. Excellent Indian food!

Awhile ago, they began flights from Udon Thani (not far from where I am in Khon kaen) direct to Singapore for only $100 bucks! I don't know if it was successful, but if so, it is the only way you can fly out of Thailand other than via Bangkok.

I assume your Singapore dates and details are on your website? Maybe I can make it.

Aloha,

Rex
jaikrsna
Posted 2009-02-22 8:47 PM (#113843 - in reply to #110872)
Subject: Re: Iyengar: tail wagging the dog?

props are JUST THAT--props. a good teacher has students use props when they are needed to do something safely, correctly OR to help teach something in particular. if the prop is not teaching you something, then, what is the point?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)