YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

becoming a yoga teacher
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

Dice
Posted 2008-08-18 11:15 AM (#110212)
Subject: becoming a yoga teacher

Hello Everyone,
My name is Phil and am an 18 year old student living in Manchester.
Gradually over the last year, I have been getting more and more into Yoga and have come to the realization that this is what I want to do, develop and pass on to others, in my life. I attend Iyengar classes at a local centre but my level is still pretty low, i do practice everyday at home though.
I am writing for some advice on how I can be improving my practice once I finish my college course(one year from now) enough to enroll at a apprenticeship/teacher training course; do you suggest a part time job or something of the sort while getting good enough to enroll on a apprenticeship? When did you start?

Are there non teacher training programs one can attend for a year or two full time?(that would be ideal and then straight into the first iyengar course)

Any advice you could give would be helpful as I am a little confused about my options at this moment in time.

Thanks so very much in advance,
Phil
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-08-18 5:14 PM (#110223 - in reply to #110212)
Subject: RE: becoming a yoga teacher

hi phil.
just keep practicing. as you said, you have just started.
having a home practice, though is the most important thing to becoming a teacher and deepening understanding of yoga.
keep taking classes and practicing, and in a years time you will probably be ready to take a teacher training.
look around the internet, and check out the pre-requisites and applications for teacher trainings in the iyengar method. this will give you an idea about where you need to be.
keep in mind, though, that teacher training is by no means an end point.

Posted 2008-08-18 10:44 PM (#110228 - in reply to #110212)

Hello Phil,

I can feel the confusion in your post.
May I suggest you spend some time clarifying in your own mind so that the outward expression has a chance to be equally clear? As you will find out in any good training, when a teacher is 5% muddled the teaching is 50% muddled.

It is absolutely a gift to have discovered your Svadharma at age 18. How lucky. You've got a full life of exploration ahead. You may craft the path however you see fit. Remember that the skills of a teacher are NOT the skills of a practitioner though a teacher must have a practice otherwise the teaching is both difficult and inauthentic.

So you can craft the skills of communication, speech (pitch, pace, tone, timbre, diction), sight, anatomy, listening, compassion, humor, and creativity. Additionally you can begin reading the foundational texts (without drawing conclusions until they are supported by a senior teacher please) - the Bhagavad Gita, The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, the Vedas, the Hatha Yoga Pradipika...

Know too that many yoga teachers wrestle with making a decent living wage. So it may also be prudent to develop some revenue-producing skills too unless you plan to enjoy the life of a renunciate.

An apprenticeship opportunity will present itself. Please keep your eyes and ears open and the volume of external stimuli turned down so that you will recognize it when it arrives.

Nick
Posted 2008-08-27 6:47 AM (#110270 - in reply to #110212)

Hi Phil,
I have never heard of any part-time yoga training programs that aren't for teachers that take a year. I personally attended as many classes and workshops as I could, so got instruction on a regular basis from the some of the most senior teachers in the country. Also, practice other forms so that you can talk with knowlwedge about the different forms, and also other forms can really compliment your teaching style, and you learn how to teach off good teachers, and how not to teach from everyone else
I think most people are either lucky enough not to have to work, or hold a job, or teach part-time whilst they are teacher-training. I think it is a great idea to start teaching before you qualify, in my day, our teachers would let us teach classes-if they went on hoiday, for example, we would offer to take their class for free-because the students in the class see you as an 'equal,' they are then more able to offer constructive criticism-I found this extremely valuable.

Nick
nucleareggset
Posted 2008-08-30 1:53 PM (#110332 - in reply to #110212)

I did a 6-month teacher training course while doing my regular 40-hr a week job (most of us there had regular full-time jobs). I continue to hold my regular job while doing additional continuing ed stuff - though it takes all my vacation time. :/ It's possible, and will be it's own, different experience from doing it another way.
ilchileesedona
Posted 2014-09-30 11:09 PM (#211703 - in reply to #110212)
Subject: Re: becoming a yoga teacher

Veteran

Aside from keep practicing on what you did try also search in the internet for the related topics and study on it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)