YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

YIC at SVYASA Bangalore, India
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

rico
Posted 2008-08-08 7:39 AM (#110136)
Subject: YIC at SVYASA Bangalore, India

Hi there,

when you did the Yoga Instructor Course (YIC) at SVYASA in Bangalore, Prashanti Kutiram, then please feel free to post your opinion about it here in this forum!
Share your experience, the things you did like about it and also the things you disliked.
Talk about how it was organised, the teaching style, the competence of the teachers and the staff, the quality of the lectures, the daily schedule, worksheet, report, asanas, pranayama, meditation, the accomodation, the food and so on ..
Think about what you have gained, the experience all in all and if you feel confident to teach now!
Especially batch 85, that finished the course at the end of Juli 2008.
All other batches are also welcome!

You can write anonymously and please respect the rules of this forum!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
nexus
Posted 2008-08-08 10:38 AM (#110142 - in reply to #110136)
Subject: More philosophical

I wouldn't recommend this course to friends if they want to become a Yoga Instructor, because the main focus in this course is on the yogic philosophy. Which is nice though, because it gives your an idea what Yoga really is! I think most poeple think that Yoga is just doing postures. But it's not! It is so much more than that and this course is just perfect to get to know all that.
If you want to know what Yoga is (Raja, Bhakti, Jana and Karma Yoga) then this is the right for you with all the lectures you get there!
If your main focus is on the teaching / how to teach then this is probably not the best.
My confidence to teach didn't increase that much, but for that my confidence on the philosophical aspect

Later I'm gonna go and post more, because there is much more to talk about this course!
graivi
Posted 2008-08-09 12:53 AM (#110150 - in reply to #110136)
Subject: RE: YIC at SVYASA Bangalore, India

Dear Friends, Prashanti kutiram and yic is more Philosophy i cannot raccomand to my western friend because doesnt have the standard that we expect, room facilities, food, internet and everything very very disorganized!

people there are very nice, lovely but for a Yoga Instructor course is not the best!
Please if you are thinking to go there ask them many many questions.
joy joy joy
regards to all
G
la tulip
Posted 2008-08-09 9:11 AM (#110152 - in reply to #110136)

don't know from where to start..! it was really a great challenge and achievment too as it took the best of me ! it was really stressful course!!!! disorganized a lil bit, and the course syllabus is more than just one can take in one month..it's theoritical more than just practical ,which created a big confusion and discomfort to me and am surley not depending on this certificate to start teaching ,i definatley need to pursue more .
so if you're considering studying in SVYASA,you should take lots of things in consideration.
and you need to ask and ask and ask before you start your journey there !
best of luck
artofliving
Posted 2008-08-10 12:16 AM (#110154 - in reply to #110136)

On a scale from one to ten this course gets a 3. This was the most stressful and unhappy 30 days of my life. I had explosive diarrhea several times. THE FOOD WAS TERRIBLE unless you ate masala dosa every day in the cateen. The canteen man charged based on the color of your skin and wether or not he liked you so even though this was a place of yoga they operated like a machine. One guy in our course hated the course SOOOO much that he asked for a partial refund to which they replied "NO WAY" and he said well I'm leaving anyways. He gave up $600 he hated this course so much. The lectures are unbelievably repetative. The teachers are terrible with few exceptions and the UNIVERSITY HAS AT LEAST ONE POWER OUTAGE PER DAY or NIGHT BUT USUALLY HAS 3 TO 10 POWER OUTAGES PER DAY (NOT JOKING!!!) The rooms are very nice and the accomodation is the only reason why the course gets a three.

Also please note: At the beginning of your course you will be told that if you get less than 90% attendance or fail any aspect of the training you will not be granted a certificate. THIS IS FALSE!!! Many of us had less than 90% attendance (WAAYYYYY LESS!) and there were people who failed their tests and never did Karma Yoga even once. EVERYONE GOT A CERTIFICATE (EVERYONE) Even one guy who pissed on a temple and another guy who told the dean of the university to fuck off got certificates.

The bottom line is the YIC is a way for SVYASA to make money and they don't want to fail you because if they fail you then you can't come back and do more courses and thus give them more money.

This is just my opinion.

DON'T GO!!!
andreamin
Posted 2008-09-15 11:59 AM (#110822 - in reply to #110142)
Subject: RE: More philosophical

hi

i am planning on attending this course in dec & was interested to hear more. i am planning on going more for learning etc/...wanting to do teachers training in a number of different environments; so will be attending other courses later. am interested to hear more if you have the time!

thanks, andrea
Jayogalife
Posted 2008-10-24 9:15 AM (#111585 - in reply to #110136)
Subject: Too much students at a class..

Before i planning to SVYASA do YIC, but now i want to choice Yogapoint get my TTC,i think the SVYASA also too much students at a class to me!
60-90 students a class at SVYASA, Yogapoint just 38.
Nachiket
Posted 2008-12-06 2:33 AM (#112276 - in reply to #110136)
Subject: Re: YIC at SVYASA Bangalore, India

Namaste

I would like to share my experiences with you. I attended 87th batch of YIC (October 200 at Prashanti Kutiram, SVYASA. To be very honest, I also got disappointed initially because of the emphasis on yogic philosophy than Asana and Pranayam as "Yoga means Asana" was the equation in my mind like most of the people. But we limit ourselves to Asana and Pranayam which are just two limbs of Ashtanga Yoga i.e. Rajyoga. Slowly, I started understaning the real meaning of Yoga. It is a slow process and requires patience and faith.

The YIC at SVYASA is actually a Yoga Foundation Course. It will be very unrealistic to expect a person to become yoga instructor after attending the YIC course. One gets the opportunity to get an overview of Yoga after YIC. Also one cannot expect high qualilty and tasty food there as it is more like a ashram and not a restaurant. Yes there are many areas which needs improvement like entry criteria, discipline among the participants, evaluation system etc.

I strongly feel that if one is focussed to learn Hathyoga (Asanas and Pranayamas only), Prashanti is not the place for him/her. But if one is interested in learning yoga in real sense (for personal development and not for the sake of certificate) then he/she should visit Prashanti Kutiram.

"We are not human beings having spiritual experience, but we are spiritual beings having human experience."
yoga-addict
Posted 2008-12-16 6:34 AM (#112365 - in reply to #110136)

Veteran

are you guys all the same person?
anna
Posted 2008-12-26 10:22 AM (#112528 - in reply to #110136)

im very keen to hear more comments. after studying the courses available at many places in india this one always came out as being most authentic to me, partly also as it came highly recommended from a yoga teacher i used to see, who incidentally taught philosophy far more then asanas or pranayama... i think surely it is unrealistic to think that any of these one month type courses can equip anyone for teaching... is it true that classes at SVYASA are really 60-90..that is shocking and definately putting me off immediately.
suryadaya
Posted 2008-12-27 2:10 PM (#112554 - in reply to #112528)

anna - 2008-12-26 7:22 AM

im very keen to hear more comments. after studying the courses available at many places in india this one always came out as being most authentic to me, partly also as it came highly recommended from a yoga teacher i used to see, who incidentally taught philosophy far more then asanas or pranayama... i think surely it is unrealistic to think that any of these one month type courses can equip anyone for teaching... is it true that classes at SVYASA are really 60-90..that is shocking and definately putting me off immediately.

The course that I was in - Nov 2008 was 60 people. The course for December though was less than thirty, from what I saw.
suryadaya
Posted 2008-12-27 2:37 PM (#112555 - in reply to #110154)

artofliving - 2008-08-09 9:16 PM

On a scale from one to ten this course gets a 3. This was the most stressful and unhappy 30 days of my life. I had explosive diarrhea several times. THE FOOD WAS TERRIBLE unless you ate masala dosa every day in the cateen. The canteen man charged based on the color of your skin and wether or not he liked you so even though this was a place of yoga they operated like a machine. One guy in our course hated the course SOOOO much that he asked for a partial refund to which they replied "NO WAY" and he said well I'm leaving anyways. He gave up $600 he hated this course so much. The lectures are unbelievably repetative. The teachers are terrible with few exceptions and the UNIVERSITY HAS AT LEAST ONE POWER OUTAGE PER DAY or NIGHT BUT USUALLY HAS 3 TO 10 POWER OUTAGES PER DAY (NOT JOKING!!!) The rooms are very nice and the accomodation is the only reason why the course gets a three.

Also please note: At the beginning of your course you will be told that if you get less than 90% attendance or fail any aspect of the training you will not be granted a certificate. THIS IS FALSE!!! Many of us had less than 90% attendance (WAAYYYYY LESS!) and there were people who failed their tests and never did Karma Yoga even once. EVERYONE GOT A CERTIFICATE (EVERYONE) Even one guy who pissed on a temple and another guy who told the dean of the university to fuck off got certificates.

The bottom line is the YIC is a way for SVYASA to make money and they don't want to fail you because if they fail you then you can't come back and do more courses and thus give them more money.

This is just my opinion.

DON'T GO!!!

Power outages? You complain because they have power outages?

Bangalore, one of the most highly populated cities on the planet has power outages at LEAST once a day and you're 35 km outside of it in an area surrounded by villages populated by non-tax-paying impoverished quarry workers. Seriously? Did you think you were in New York or something?

On a side note: At SVYASA I was *astonished* at the ability of the faculty, performers, and students from India to ignore power outages as if nothing had happened. Classes would not stop, professors in lecture didn't even break pace. We had a musical group of young children playing drums and other instruments who continued to play in the dark when the lights went out, and did not falter their rhythm for even a moment. In the US when the power goes out, everyone just stops what they are doing and listens to the silence for a minute. People don't know how to do their jobs, kids and dogs freak out, people panic, newspapers publish stories...

Last notes:

1. The guys in the canteen were incredibly nice to me, despite the color of my skin, and did not try to rip me off.

2. You do not automatically pass, it seems like this though. One member of my course did not pass and was asked to stay seven extra days to meet the requirements of her certificate. Another member of my course was told that due to his marks he would need to come back and stay for two weeks before he could take higher level courses through the university, which he is doing. Both were present at the graduation ceremony.

3. I feel that the foreigners fee of $600 for 30 days of tuition (with classes starting at 5am and ending around 7:30-9:30pm), 30 days of food (3 buffet style meals a day, as much as you want to eat), and 30 days of safe accommodation is a pretty good deal. I came into the situation knowing a lot of the philosophy they taught and still walked out with incredible amounts of information. I too would have liked more hatha yoga studies, but it was only 30 days - and after going through it, I wouldn't trade it in for anything else. If I had gone to another course, I would have lost some concepts that now make a world of difference to the way that I will teach. There are more organized courses that teach you more hatha yoga - and they're all pretty expensive unless you're planning to live on an off-the-map ashram or stay in a gurukula. For the price, this was more than worth it.

Edited by suryadaya 2008-12-27 2:47 PM
ImproveHealth
Posted 2009-01-03 7:17 AM (#112703 - in reply to #110136)
Subject: Is SVYASA only for becoming teachers? RE: YIC at SVYASA Bangalore, India

If I have an ailement and have been suffering from stress, gastritis and irritable bowel movements, can I attend some course to get cured?

Please let me know.
suryadaya
Posted 2009-01-04 2:25 AM (#112713 - in reply to #112703)
Subject: RE: Is SVYASA only for becoming teachers? RE: YIC at SVYASA Bangalore, India

ImproveHealth - 2009-01-03 4:17 AM

If I have an ailement and have been suffering from stress, gastritis and irritable bowel movements, can I attend some course to get cured?

Please let me know.

They have a therapy program there called Aroghadharma (Not sure of the spelling). Its separate and you have your own program arranged for you based on your problems. I would email the school and request information about htat, rather than attending the YIC program.
kismet
Posted 2009-02-03 5:43 AM (#113333 - in reply to #110136)

I am in bangalore for the next 6-9 months and have been doing research into a place to do a part-time course / intensive course. The SVYASA seems to be the main place but I am more interested in the actual postures and training rather than the philiosophical side for now. I prefer the practical side and wish to learn that more than anything tbh.

Any ideas of recommendations?
GIRLIELF
Posted 2009-09-05 3:51 AM (#118150 - in reply to #112555)

Hi all, would appreciate if anyone can share with me your views on if you will recommend one to take up the YIC if one would like to not only know the in depth of yoga - philosophy and etc, BUT ALSO the teaching of yoga - asanas and pranayama.
Is the course comprehensive enough for one to feel confident enough or good enough to start teaching after the 1 mth course?
After the course, do you feel you've learn more on the theoractical part - philosophy and etc, or both the studies of yoga-philosophy AND asanas + pranayama?
Botttom line is, would you recommend one to take this course if able-to-teach yoga is the main objective, and where would you recommend if not.

thank you lots

regards

Edited by GIRLIELF 2009-09-05 3:54 AM
suryadaya
Posted 2009-09-14 7:00 PM (#118338 - in reply to #118150)

GIRLIELF - 2009-09-05 12:51 AM

Hi all, would appreciate if anyone can share with me your views on if you will recommend one to take up the YIC if one would like to not only know the in depth of yoga - philosophy and etc, BUT ALSO the teaching of yoga - asanas and pranayama.
Is the course comprehensive enough for one to feel confident enough or good enough to start teaching after the 1 mth course?
After the course, do you feel you've learn more on the theoractical part - philosophy and etc, or both the studies of yoga-philosophy AND asanas + pranayama?
Botttom line is, would you recommend one to take this course if able-to-teach yoga is the main objective, and where would you recommend if not.

thank you lots

regards

I do not think that they emphasize enough on yogasana and teaching techniques to go out and say that you are *highly qualified* (at least for western schools), but I believe that the foundation they offer in philosophy and the theory of yoga was much more important to my future teaching career than the asanas anyway. (I took the course for that reason - so I'm biased). They not only taught us how yogic practices can lower stress, they generated stress in us and then used those practices to relieve us of it.

Further, I don't think that any one month course will prepare you to go out and handle teaching yoga to everyone, and that continued comprehensive education is the best thing you can do for the people you are teaching.

All that being said, there are many people from my course that are teaching yoga in India and abroad after taking just that one course and they seem to be doing just fine. I could (and did) go out and teach with what I knew prior to and after taking that class with no problem as well.

Edited by suryadaya 2009-09-14 7:02 PM
geera612
Posted 2009-12-30 7:05 AM (#120301 - in reply to #118338)
Subject: Inputs regrading illness therapy from SVYASA Bangalore?

Hi suryadaya,

I am planning to take the Arogyadhama course from SVYASA Bangalore, for treating my migraine headache. If you dont know about this therapy course already, please find the link below regarding the same,

http://www.svyasa.org/arogyadhama/arogyadhama.asp

If you know, please let me know your inputs / comments regarding their courses. How good are those therapy courses?

I would be spending my 1 month vacation on this, thats why I would want to check whether its worth the effort.

Thanks,
Geetha
shantiji75
Posted 2010-06-20 12:15 AM (#123593 - in reply to #110136)

I have been there and is orrible!! Do not goooo, they are just cheating people in the name of Yoga!

the organization is not clear, all is not clear!! Very dirty places, food and rooms dirty and are near the hospital that they have near the campus for yoga students. They made a website where is written sattwic food and all is yoga, but is not, food is dirty and if you will go there you will get sick lake many students when I was there. Many left and only indian have this standards and do not mind about all this?!

Anyway after few of us left they said no possible to refound the money because is written in the website "No Refound possible" and I went to the lawyer and he said they are just doing a business in the name of yoga.

I hope they will give the money back like the lawyer said. We are also organize to be a group of people to write to the consumer court of India. Please let me know if you had same experience.

Namaste
Shantiji
yogadj
Posted 2010-06-28 8:33 AM (#123736 - in reply to #110136)

Hi Everyone,

The YIC course at SVYASA is excellent. The experience is extremely memorable and you make a lot of friends.

The food is also very good. For lunch and dinner, they have whole wheat rotis, white rice, sabji (vegetable), dal, sambar, rasam, and fresh diluted buttermilk.

There is also a canteen where you can buy fresh fruits and fresh blended juices.

Raw food can be obtained from the special diet/obesity section.

What they teach is the true concept of yoga which is slow down the speed of the mind, to achieve the state of mental silence and a state of deep relaxation for the body.

They teach 24 asanas, which includes inverted asanas, pranayama, meditation, and other techniques, including kriyas which purify the respiratory tract.

I recommend this course to everyone. Aroghyadhama is also world class. Treatment is free for YIC students as well, and is a great way to see so many health specialists all in one place, from reflexologists, naturopaths, ayurvedic doctors, physiotherapists, and even allopathic doctors.

There are some slight inconveniences with the organization of the program and some of the mundane assignments. However, the overall experience and learning is excellent. By the end of the program, you are qualified to teach.

Many students study at several yoga institutes in India for teacher training, and each place has their own style.

Hope this post helps everyone.

Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2010-06-28 5:20 PM (#123748 - in reply to #123736)

Extreme Veteran

yogadj
You are right. I have been there many times. They are the only complete Yoga University status in India right now. I have sent many people there from different part of the world and everybody is happy. Some of them still studying Masters and PhD there...
Thanks
brayanSg
Posted 2010-07-02 4:52 PM (#123857 - in reply to #123736)

Veteran

YIC at SVYASA of India is excellent.
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2010-07-02 6:37 PM (#123864 - in reply to #123857)

Extreme Veteran

Brayan, you can share some experience of your YIC in SVYASA with us here to let people know about this place. Thanks...
KatieJo
Posted 2010-07-27 5:27 AM (#124301 - in reply to #110136)

I am also inviting comment. Is asana at least practiced daily? If not, is there usually a core of individuals on campus who do so?

Thanks
KatieJo
Posted 2010-07-27 5:29 AM (#124302 - in reply to #110136)

also - what are financing options there? How have most of you paid for your courses? I am thinking of pursuing the MSc in Yoga and Consciousness.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)