YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cyndi's Bees Under Cover
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

Orbilia
Posted 2008-07-30 5:53 AM (#109812)
Subject: Cyndi's Bees Under Cover

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7530666.stm

Fee
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-07-30 6:55 AM (#109814 - in reply to #109812)
Subject: RE: Cyndi's Bees Under Cover

I can not believe such a reckless and stupid statement from what is called Scientific Community.

Calling bees as murderers is a height, actually the depth, of the stupidity.

Collection of honey by the bees is not a loot that is gathered by the sucker empires.

And, when one says, "Honey, I love you", they do not mean, "murderer, I love you".
Orbilia
Posted 2008-07-30 8:33 AM (#109817 - in reply to #109814)

Umm, they're not calling bees murderers. The techniques bees use in foraging act as a good model for how serial killers operate. Or, bees are are branch of the security services in this analogy

Fee
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-07-30 8:43 AM (#109819 - in reply to #109812)

Thanks Dear Fee. Now, I know who is doing what.
tourist
Posted 2008-07-30 10:25 AM (#109825 - in reply to #109812)

Expert Yogi

Great stuff, Fee. Mr. Tourist has been watching a TV show called Numbers, where they use math to help solve crimes. I have been assuming that a lot of the stuff they use is experimental or theoretical but not yet proven. This sounds like one of those theories. Very cool.
Orbilia
Posted 2008-07-30 10:53 AM (#109827 - in reply to #109825)

:-) Now we know what your girls are humming about..... they're giving the police tip-offs!

Studying biological systems mathematically is amazing. Example : Energy transfer in some systems is so efficient that I can see lessens being learnt for future generations of man's heating and power networks.

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2008-07-30 10:57 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2008-08-01 7:55 PM (#109914 - in reply to #109827)

Expert Yogi

Yep, I've been telling you guys, my girls are really smart. They're really humming and up to all sorts of mischief!

Speaking of my girls.....I've had some really interesting Bee Musings this summer.

The day before yesterday I decided to check on my hives before leaving town. At the end of June, early July, I set up 2 new hives that didn't make it that I installed these really expensive queens in. I was trying to get some higher quality stock in my aviary. Well, the boxes didn't make it and the bees either died or left. No, not because of CCD. I did a tricky split using a small amount of bees. It was a gamble.

So, when I went to open them up the what I thought empty boxes....all I could find was chewed out wax and some yellow jackets. BUT WAIT, there was, lo and behold, a queen walking around the bottom of the floor. I was like Okay...what to do??? Gosh, she survived from several weeks ago without any attendants...nothing!! Keep in mind, this time of year is very difficult to locate queens in established colonies. Queens are difficult to find ANY time. Sooooo, I decided I needed to split - quick!, with one of my other hives and try to re-introduce this "found" queen in one of the splits. I got really lucky when I took the split. I found the queen in the very first box I picked up, which made it sooo sweet knowing which box had the queen and beekeeper rule #1...never put 2 queens in the same colony! You have no idea how much pleasure I got from finding this queen sooo fast, because I was working on very limited time schedule...not to mention I was leaving town in a few hours and still had a ton of packing to do! So, 2 hours later, I had another hive, horray!! Now...we have to wait till Tuesday to see if she was accepted. In case someone asks?? When I caught this queen, I put her in a cage. I then put the cage in the box that was queenless. Wait several days, go back in and see if either they killed her, or accepted her.

So there ya go. Needless to say it's been a very productive summer. I didn't get as much honey due to the rains we've had...but, I sure did get a lot of bees and it was a good summer for apiary management and lessons for learning. As Winnie the Pooh says...."you never can tell with bees",
Orbilia
Posted 2008-08-04 5:49 AM (#109998 - in reply to #109914)

My goodness Cyndi. I assume she must have been without food/water all this time? I hope the new colony take to her, she sounds like she's got some strong genes there.

Fee
Cyndi
Posted 2008-08-04 8:53 AM (#110004 - in reply to #109914)

Expert Yogi

Well, she was in a box of honey, no attendants though.

It anyone is interested, here is an interesting video about what is happening with the bees. Excusy to all you ones who got this twice,

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/silence-of-the-bees/full-episode/251/
Orbilia
Posted 2008-08-04 10:03 AM (#110006 - in reply to #110004)

Ah, I see. I thought the hive was otherwise empty.

Fee
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)