YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NSOTD Beware the Faddy Diet
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

Orbilia
Posted 2008-07-23 5:26 AM (#109618)
Subject: NSOTD Beware the Faddy Diet

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7520756.stm

Fee
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2008-07-23 10:37 AM (#109626 - in reply to #109618)
Subject: RE: NSOTD Beware the Faddy Die

Expert Yogi

Excellent article, Fee, especially for the Bikramites. A good reminder for them to continue to eat actual food and not rely on water alone to keep them going.

I admit I love reading the UK articles. In spite of being of deep British/Scottish/Welsh roots and being well familiar with the place names, I do love to read about places like the hospital in "Tooting" and got a chuckle over Dr. "Wadge" as well. I am either very shallow or very easily amused.....
Orbilia
Posted 2008-07-23 10:58 AM (#109629 - in reply to #109626)

No, it's just your Brit roots showing *wg*

Fee
GreenJello
Posted 2008-07-23 12:00 PM (#109631 - in reply to #109618)
Subject: RE: NSOTD Beware the Faddy Diet

OH, and FOLLOW your doctor/nutritionists advice.

If you read the article you'll find that the unfortunate lady in question drank 5 Liters of water the day she was admitted to the hospital. The nutritionist had told her to drink 4 pints. Now I find it interesting that the papers sort of played this little math game with people since 4 is pretty close to 5, but if you do the conversion, you'll find that 4 pints is 2.72 liters, so she was drinking about TWICE what she was supposed to be doing. (And that's what she was able to do with being admitted to the hospital, who knows what she normally did during a day) 'Course the nutritionist should have told her to go to a doctor when she started vomiting, what does a nutritionist know about people vomiting?

Honestly I question whether or not the nutrition was really at fault here......

Edited by GreenJello 2008-07-23 12:02 PM
GreenJello
Posted 2008-07-23 12:07 PM (#109632 - in reply to #109618)

Oh, and if you look up daily intake, you'll find that the recommend amount for women is around 2.2 liters, or 4 pints, which is what the nutritionist suggested. In addition, a low sodium diet sounds like a good thing for a lot of people. So, other than the initial comment about the "Amazing Hydration Diet" I don't hear anything that sounds all that wacky, maybe I'm missing something.

Posted 2008-07-23 12:33 PM (#109634 - in reply to #109631)

In addition to agreeing that one should beware of faddy diets, I would like to point out that detoxification is a normal function of the liver and kidneys and does not require any further interventions. An extremely small amount of toxins can also be released through sweating but the function of sweating is to cool the body (homeostasis). If you don't have enough or you have too much fluids, you will actually die. If your internal body temperature is below 89.6 F or above 105.8 F you can also die. Your body requires balance to function (homeostasis). Remember that next time any extreme (idea or action) seems attractive.
Orbilia
Posted 2008-07-24 7:26 AM (#109649 - in reply to #109634)

Excellent advice Jimg!

Fee
tourist
Posted 2008-07-24 10:10 AM (#109656 - in reply to #109649)

Expert Yogi

GJ - I noticed the math difference as well. I also noticed the amusing switching from imperial to metric, which is peculiar to countries like the UK and Canada where we are somewhat ambivalent about how we measure things. We do metric for temperature, gas and speed limits, but mostly still weigh ourselves in pounds, though we buy produce measured in kilos. The Brits are still in the distant past there, as I still hear people from there referring to their weight in "stones." Funny that the editor didn't correct that.
Orbilia
Posted 2008-07-24 10:12 AM (#109658 - in reply to #109656)

Arrrrr it be a fiendish plot to confuse and befuddle the invading furrinor!

Fee
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)