YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to Kundalini
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Kundalini YogaMessage format

lri
Posted 2008-07-19 1:56 PM (#109465)
Subject: New to Kundalini

This is my first time committing to practing yoga, i which I have chosen the practice of Kundalini. I did Ravi and Ana's Kundalini for beginners for a few months with great results. I recently started doing their Quick Fixes DVD and I love it. Problem is I feel like a bomb went off inside of me. I have beening practing the new sets for about now, quick fixes for pms, stress and fatigue, etc. I often combine sets. I am not familiar with Chahkras or the different energies but something is going on. I feel like something has been unleashed, and whatever it is, it is not happy. I hope someone has insight about my problem.

Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lri
Posted 2008-07-19 1:57 PM (#109466 - in reply to #109465)
Subject: RE: New to Kundalini

I wanted to apologize about my spelling in previous post, my 5 year old was talking my ear off while I was trying to type.

Thanks

Posted 2008-07-19 2:15 PM (#109468 - in reply to #109465)

Hello and welcome to the board community.

If you could be a bit more specific.... rather than saying a "bomb went off" actually give us some sense of what is going on physiologically, that would be far more helpful, a smidgen less anecdotal, and likely to lead to a strong reply.

When are you feeling what you are feeling? During practice? After? For how long? When does it subside if at all?

Are you warm, cold, agitated, nervous, steady, shaky, calm?

What are you doing in your practice? It would be quite important for those of us not doing that DVD to have you describe the practice.

I would gladly help in whatever way(s) I can but I need more from you first.

lri
Posted 2008-07-19 2:27 PM (#109469 - in reply to #109465)

I have been practicing the Quick Fixes dvd every other day for about 10 days. On Tuesday I did what the dvd calls the Energy warm-ups, the Positive PMS set, the Soothe Stress Fight Fatique set and the So Long Sciatica set followed by the Deep Relaxation set. As always I felt great after my practice, energized, light, balanced and clear minded. Thursday when I got out of bed and started moving around I realized right away that my thinking was not clear, I couldn't stay focused on anything, I was and still am anxious, irritable, angry and impatient. I know I suppress a great deal of feelings and I thought maybe it would everything surfacing that I have been holding in. But I really overwhelmed mentally. Yesterday at the grocery store I literally had trouble putting one foot in front of the other to walk through the store. Do you think I could have overloaded myself? I hope you can help. I am sorry that I cannot be more specific on the postures but I do not know what the different postures are called.

Thanks,
Lori
lri
Posted 2008-07-19 2:29 PM (#109470 - in reply to #109469)

Hi,
I am new to the forum and I posted my reply to you on the forum page with my original post. Please read it, I hope you have some insight.

Thank you,
Lori
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-07-19 4:21 PM (#109475 - in reply to #109469)

Dear lri: My suggestion is: a) ask this question directly to the instructors in the DVD. If that is impossible, stop using the DVD. b) If you do not like a), then at least find a student of the instructors in the DVD and ask the same question. If that is impossible, you must stop using the DVD.

lri - 2008-07-19 2:27 PM

I have been practicing the Quick Fixes dvd every other day for about 10 days. On Tuesday I did what the dvd calls the Energy warm-ups, the Positive PMS set, the Soothe Stress Fight Fatique set and the So Long Sciatica set followed by the Deep Relaxation set. As always I felt great after my practice, energized, light, balanced and clear minded. Thursday when I got out of bed and started moving around I realized right away that my thinking was not clear, I couldn't stay focused on anything, I was and still am anxious, irritable, angry and impatient. I know I suppress a great deal of feelings and I thought maybe it would everything surfacing that I have been holding in. But I really overwhelmed mentally. Yesterday at the grocery store I literally had trouble putting one foot in front of the other to walk through the store. Do you think I could have overloaded myself? I hope you can help. I am sorry that I cannot be more specific on the postures but I do not know what the different postures are called.

Thanks,
Lori
tourist
Posted 2008-07-20 10:36 AM (#109496 - in reply to #109475)

Expert Yogi

Iri - I don't know much about that form of yoga, but I do believe I have heard good things about it here on the boards. We do frequently get these sorts of concerns from people practicing Kundalini yog on their own, from books, videos, etc. and typically those of us who teach other styles suggest to the student that faulty breathing is the culprit. Does this dvd advocate a lot of pranyama or special breath techniques? You may find that simply doing the poses without special breathing through the nose will make a difference.

Different forms of yoga also emphasize different sequencing of the poses to create a calm state of mind. Do you do a lot of things that open the chest aggressively? Do you finish your sequences with back bending poses or things that have your head tilted back? This can cause an over stimulation of the nervous system and create some of the symptoms you are describing. It could be that this style is just not appropriate for you at this time in your life or it may require modifications.

Moms with young children can't afford to be scattered or overwhelmed! You do need calm and nurturing yourself so you can nurture your family. Yoga needs to be a refuge for you and not a stressor!

Posted 2008-07-20 4:54 PM (#109510 - in reply to #109465)

Hello Lori,

Yes I understand you are not able to tell me what you are doing in these labeled actions. That makes it difficult and at the same time it also serves as a red flag that these things may not be appropriate for you. There must be some discernment either already present in the student or developed in them.

I will share some thoughts of mine relative to what you share and add some other internet links for your own study. Both my perspective AND the others I'll provide should be taken in, filtered, and discerned for what is worthwhile inherently and for what is true for you.

Generally speaking, a Kundalini practice centers around unleashing Kundalini energy which is often represented by the image of the serpent. This energy is coiled and dwells at the base of the spine. It is a very, very, very powerful force.

Just as with any and all powerful forces, freeing them can be a liberating empowering experience or is can be a train wreck. When a student is unprepared for this unleashing, the resultant release, all or in part, can create deleterious effects in the body (which I shall not go into in depth). The least of these preparations is the alignment of the spine - and I have yet to find a neophyte student with an alignment of their spine which warrants no care in the unleashing of Kundalini energy.

Additionally, those students who's Ayurvedic constitution is primarily Vatta frequently have that aggravated by certain elements of a Kundalini practice, creating a mental fog, haze, lack of focus, inability to ground themselves, and, in the most severe cases, instability in mental health.

Many times in various forms of yoga the "company line' is to convince students that they are "adjusting" or "releasing toxins" or "releasing emotions" and that they should just stick it out. I'll call this an "It's a phase" mentality. And that may in some cases be very accurate. Put another way, that may be a layer of truth in some cases. But it is not so across the board and care should be used in shoveling such a thing down one's gullet without first chewing.

Here are some other sources for you to read if you so choose.

Pitfalls of Kundalini

Kundalini Complications

Kundalini Survival Guide
lri
Posted 2008-07-21 11:51 AM (#109537 - in reply to #109465)

Thank you for your input about some of the complications that I have been experiencing. Until I thoroughly educate myself about Kundalini yoga I will refrain from practicing this form for awhile. This morning I did my "a.m. yoga with Rodney Ye" and I will keep up this practice until I am become more informed. Unfortunately there is not a Yoga studio in my area that practices the Kundalini form but I will continue researching it. Thanks again and especially for the links, I will definitely utilize them.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-07-21 5:35 PM (#109569 - in reply to #109537)

Dear lri: You are a true Yogi (ni?)!!! I am sure you shall succeed in time. Best Wishes to you.

lri - 2008-07-21 11:51 AM

Thank you for your input about some of the complications that I have been experiencing. Until I thoroughly educate myself about Kundalini yoga I will refrain from practicing this form for awhile. This morning I did my "a.m. yoga with Rodney Ye" and I will keep up this practice until I am become more informed. Unfortunately there is not a Yoga studio in my area that practices the Kundalini form but I will continue researching it. Thanks again and especially for the links, I will definitely utilize them.
Bay Guy
Posted 2008-09-05 11:49 PM (#110560 - in reply to #109569)

Expert Yogi

I've done some Kundalini, in the H3O format. It was actually really fun and relaxing. Lots of breathing, lots of simple, energizing, and calming movements, and meditation. And the teacher liked to sing the Hanuman Chalisa at the end, which I really enjoyed.

If this were easy to find in my local area, I'd do it much more often.

Ong Namo Gurudev Namo.

... bg
Bay Guy
Posted 2008-09-05 11:50 PM (#110561 - in reply to #110560)

Expert Yogi

Edited by Bay Guy 2008-09-05 11:55 PM
sagopalm
Posted 2008-12-04 10:17 AM (#112252 - in reply to #109465)

I tkink there is no short cut to Kundalini. No Kundalini digest.

Kundalini Yoga is a very complex discipline, involving many aspects.

A good site to learn real Kundalini yoga is:

http://yoga-age.com/amrita/kundalini.html
sagopalm
Posted 2008-12-04 5:05 PM (#112262 - in reply to #109465)
Subject: Re: New to Kundalini

Kundalini Yoga is actually Laya Yoga, the Yoga of dissolution of your karmas.

There are four spiritual paths:

Mantra Yoga
Hatha Yoga
Raja Yoga
Laya Yoga

Together they form Maha Yoga.

It is not easy to practice Kundalini (Laya) Yoga.

You can find much information about it in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laya_yoga
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)