YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sarvangasana & hot flashes?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

karmann
Posted 2008-07-09 9:55 PM (#109031)
Subject: Sarvangasana & hot flashes?

I know sarvangasana is supposed to be a "cooling" pose and for me this was relatively so in the past, but the last 3 times I've done it, even though I haven't felt labored or hot or anything, I would swear I'm having menopausal hot flashes.

It's not real easy to tell because in inversions things feels a little different.

I asked my teacher about it and she seemed to think I was sweating because of my lack of true experience with the pose. Maybe, but it felt just like a hot flash.

On the other hand, very recently I had been experiencing some trouble with the pose (it's on the Iyengar forum if anyone's that interested) and although that's 90 - 95% gone, maybe it relates...

Just curious as to whether any other women have experienced this and felt it related to menopause. This has been an interesting asana for me the last couple of months.

Edited by karmann 2008-07-09 9:57 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-07-09 11:02 PM (#109035 - in reply to #109031)
Subject: RE: Sarvangasana & hot flashes?

As a favor to me: Is it possible for you to ask your teacher " What is the True Exerience with Sarvangasana?"

karmann - 2008-07-09 9:55 PM

I asked my teacher about it and she seemed to think I was sweating because of my lack of true experience with the pose. Maybe, but it felt just like a hot flash.

kulkarnn
Posted 2008-07-10 9:49 AM (#109055 - in reply to #109035)
Subject: RE: Sarvangasana & hot flashes

Oh. Now, I understand. Thanks for the elaboration. If you care for my opinion:

- Around or slightly less than 3 years of regular practice for Sarvangasana is more than sufficient. Yes, 3 years is newer compared to 40 years. And, 40 years is newer compared to 79 years. And, one shall never catch up with the teacher who is older than you because by the time you get 79 years, the teacher will either be 79+79-3 years. This is not a correct approach. My feeling is 3 years is more than sufficient if done regularly and sincerely.

- And, yes extra struggle can cause heat and sweat. But, that does NOT apply to only Sarvangasana. It can apply to anything including Jogging. See whether you get the same effect in any other pose that requires struggle.

Secretely: There is NO doubt that Sarvangasana as you are doing it or the amount of time you are doing it is definitely Interacting if NOT conflicting with your Menopause.

OM ShantiH

karmann - 2008-07-10 12:09 AM

kulkarnn - 2008-07-09 11:02 PM
As a favor to me: Is it possible for you to ask your teacher " What is the True Exerience with Sarvangasana?"

That was my awkward phrasing, not my teacher's. I was trying to whittle down to two words her explanation, which was several sentences long. I had my misgivings about my wording, but I got lazy. I will try to quote her a little more accurately for you, Neel.

I asked her if sarvangasana is known to bring about hot flashes in menopausal women. She said it was generally experienced as a cooling pose and she suggested that because I am relatively new to the pose (I've been doing it fairly regularly less than three years) I bring a certain amount of tension as I am trying to adjust myself while in it, to get myself in correct alignment. I am not as comfortable in it as, say, someone with her experience and practice (about 40 years.) So this "struggle" (my word) can bring about heat and sweating.

tourist
Posted 2008-07-10 10:25 AM (#109061 - in reply to #109055)

Expert Yogi

karmann - this question came up in a women's workshop I attended awhile ago. Geeta Iyengar's answer (if I recollect this correctly - the wording may not be exact) was that yes, sarvangasana can bring on the heat while in the pose, though it is still beneficial in the big picture because of the way it regulates hormones and "cools" the nervous system. The advice given was to stay in the pose if possible, relax the throat and keep the breathing even and soft. When it gets to the point of being unbearable, come out and rest. I would add that variations such as baddhakonasana or upavista konasana legs will sometimes help, and I do see some women of a certain age using the chair to support the sacrum so they can hold the pose a bit longer with less effort, which would also be a choice I would try. Take care and stay cool!
tourist
Posted 2008-07-11 10:28 AM (#109112 - in reply to #109061)

Expert Yogi

I am a bit superstitious and don't like to say it out loud, but I don't have too much trouble yet with the heat. A little here and there, but nothing extreme. I am definitely warmer overall than I was when I was younger and Mr. Tourist is colder. Funny things Mother Nature does to our bodies!
jadehsu7
Posted 2008-09-11 2:26 PM (#110735 - in reply to #109031)

Thanks for all the advice, my friend told me about a new site where you can ask any questions you have about natural womens health and it will be answered by a practitioner or medical doctor for free! Check it out at http://www.rvita.com/rvita-answers.html

hope this helps.
Sati Suloshana
Posted 2008-09-14 10:32 AM (#110795 - in reply to #109031)

My most useful find for dealing with hot flashes during practice - a form of sitoli breathing. If it's not possible to curl the tongue, which it may not be do to get enough air, or because anatomically you can't, just hold the tongue slightly forward with the tip just under the teeth. Relax the mouth & breathe in and out slowly as much as possible. Experiment with the distance of the tongue from the teeth. Part the lips slightly forward, relax the mouth, but keep it open. I call this "sneaky sitoli breath". Sneaky because you can get away with it in class, especially when not facing the teacher. Also, an ashtanga teacher said to me, feel free to take an extra breath if you need it; it's your breathing. He indicated that I may be getting too hot because, in class, I am following the breathing of the teacher; whereas ideally your practice is led by your own breath.

I took a menopause & yoga workshop at the local Iyengar studio & softer practices were recommended, including chair shoulderstand (basically she was teaching Geeta Iyengar's work). The teacher seemed to agree with the sitoli breath idea.

Shoulderstand has always been hard for me, but using the Iyengar props helps. You can always put your feet on the wall instead of setting up the chairs.

Personally unless I'm very tired I don't do a very relaxed and easy practice any more. As a full-time computer-user for work, I really need the exercise in a vigorous practice. Fortunately I usually forget about my hot flashes during class or personal practice, but, in classes which are also heated, or just sweating because of lots of bodies working together, I find the sneaky sitoli to be very useful.

Ladies, I'd love to hear any other comments on yoga and menopause.

The main problem they cause me now is interrupted sleep.

The psoriasis is a lot better now since I re-discovered progesterone cream.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)