YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poll Breakfast
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

timeforlife03
Posted 2008-07-09 6:48 PM (#109029)
Subject: Breakfast

Does anyone like eating fruit parfaits? Mix some Cool Whip with it?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2008-07-09 7:50 PM (#109030 - in reply to #109029)
Subject: RE: Breakfast

Expert Yogi

I prefer Yogurt Parfaits using my honey as a topping. It's very good.

Posted 2008-07-10 12:09 AM (#109039 - in reply to #109029)

I like the yogurt idea better. I think cool whip is still basically corn syrup and hydrogenated coconut and palm oil, and other unpleasant things.

Posted 2008-07-10 2:46 AM (#109042 - in reply to #109029)

...and since hydrogenated oils have been linked to increased incidence of breast cancer and non-insulin dependent type II diabetes I typically advise my students to avoid such things.

tourist
Posted 2008-07-10 10:17 AM (#109060 - in reply to #109042)

Expert Yogi

I need some fat and complex carbs in my breakfast. All fruit would make my blood sugar go crazy. Oatmeal, good yogurt and fruit on top of that is the best plan for me. If I happen to have some left over real whipped cream, then yes!
timeforlife03
Posted 2008-07-10 3:59 PM (#109080 - in reply to #109029)

Wow, I didn't realize all that. However, if you eat it in moderation, just like everything else, it shouldn't be that bad. Not only that, but there are tons of desserts you can make with it too.
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2008-07-10 5:09 PM (#109082 - in reply to #109080)

I dislike the idea that everything, taken in moderation, is OK.

What moderate amount of arsenic or mercury would you voluntarily eat? I know that sounds absurd, but its not really as absurd as it sounds. Suppose you juice apples from time to time, and add everything, including the core. Surely it's OK to have a moderate amount of apple cores. Bat apple seeds contain arsenic. How about things like shark steaks, which almost certainly have a high mercury content.

Look at what's in Cool Whip. It has alot of stuff that is bad for you, and nothing that is good for you. You would be much better off making your own whipped cream. It's better for you and tastes alot better. Killing yourself in moderation, out of convenience only, is not such a good idea. My 2 cents.

Duffy

Posted 2008-07-10 8:41 PM (#109086 - in reply to #109029)

I take a little different slant -

If you eat it mindfully, knowing what is in it AND accepting the outcomes from it AND eat it with great joy, more power to you. If your intention is to live a healthy life then what goes in to the body should be fuel for that living.

I would not eat it and I would not advocate it as there's nothing in it of value to advocate.

Edited by purnayoga 2008-07-10 8:41 PM

Posted 2008-07-10 9:03 PM (#109087 - in reply to #109029)

If I want whipped cream, I have real whipped cream, just not often.

There's actually some commercial low fat whipped creams that are pretty much real food.
New2Yoga
Posted 2008-07-11 5:06 AM (#109104 - in reply to #109029)

I eat yogurt with granola on top. Yogurt keep my digestion kicking and has lots of other good benefits as well.
I thinks its a great breakfast, you need some calories to start of your day. Granola isnt exactly low cal I have to measure it out or I will eat the whole bag. You can also make your own granola and put all the good stuff in it you want!
Peanut butter on whole wheat with some honey and bananna is my all time fav!
timeforlife03
Posted 2008-07-11 4:01 PM (#109130 - in reply to #109029)

Wow, arsenic and mercury really? Cool Whip can't be that bad. It's actually quite good. There's no trans fat, no cholesterol and low calories. I personally think real whipped cream tends to be a little heavy sometimes, so I opt for Cool Whip.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-07-11 4:11 PM (#109131 - in reply to #109130)

Expert Yogi

You know what?? My TCMD always says, "Fish can't live in too clean of water". This also applies to the occassional 'cool whip' craving. I get one about once or twice a year and I go for it too!! Although...I hadn't had one in a long time. My husband LOVES cool whip. He wishes when he was a kid back in Nepal they had something like it. But, like everything, we only do things in moderation and just for the fun of it...for tasting purposes mostly,

We gotta bee careful with cool whip....we had this heated discussion a couple of years ago...OMG, I don't want to go there again.

I used to love to eat cool whip mixed with canned fruit cocktail when I was a kid. I would NOT dare eat that crap today, but it sure was good when I was a kid...for dessert snack,

Edited by Cyndi 2008-07-11 4:13 PM
tourist
Posted 2008-07-11 6:52 PM (#109140 - in reply to #109131)

Expert Yogi

Many, many years ago someone said "processed cheese is made of edible petroleum." To one of the listeners, they key word was "petroleum" and they vowed to never eat it again. To the other listener, they key word was "edible" and they continued to eat it regularly. Its all in the way you look at it. right?
Cyndi
Posted 2008-07-11 6:59 PM (#109142 - in reply to #109140)

Expert Yogi

Yea, so in the case of COOL and WHIP...good stuff,

The mind is also very powerful ya know. I've always had 2 views of looking at things. If you're happy and feel good about what your eating, even though it may seem like trash or no good, or no matter what the scientifics are, your mind can over-ride all the negatives. OTOH, if you're eating this same food with "wrong" thinking, then your're screwed,

Same theory applies to eating any kind of food - I don't care how healthy it may bee, if you have negative thinking....you are totally screwed,

Cyndi's Philosophy says,
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-07-12 8:05 AM (#109156 - in reply to #109029)

Anyone eat Tofutti? My daughter went through a phase of lactose intollerance and we used to buy it for her, I think it tastes just like frozen cool whip.
tourist
Posted 2008-07-12 9:24 AM (#109163 - in reply to #109156)

Expert Yogi

Thanks guys (she says sarcastically). I now have a pack of processed cheese slices n my fridge because this thread made me crave a processed grilled cheese with ketchup. Yes - I know I was the one that brought up the cheese, but still.... For the record - it was yummy!
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-07-15 9:46 AM (#109255 - in reply to #109029)

I can't see what tourist wrote.

Okay, now I see. Hey tourist, I was so tempted to make a list of nasty junk food and see how that went over with you. I thought it over and decided not to.

Edited by bstqltmkr 2008-07-15 9:48 AM
tourist
Posted 2008-07-15 10:24 AM (#109258 - in reply to #109255)

Expert Yogi

We could make a list of our guilty pleasures in the junk food world.

Orange Julius bacon cheese hot dogs.

McDonalds fries.

Minute Maid frozen lemonade.

Sour jujubes.
timeforlife03
Posted 2008-07-15 7:10 PM (#109288 - in reply to #109029)

Well for those concerned, the Cool Whip website does have a Healthy Living section for ya with recipes that are lighter, but delicious all the same. Its all on www.CoolWhip.com
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-07-16 8:24 AM (#109304 - in reply to #109029)

Eww, I fried bacon for my husbands spanish rice last night, I think I ingested more than enough bacon that way. If I'm ever motivated to make that sacrifice again I'll wear a gas mask.

McDonalds makes excellent coffee, although I might even drink sludge if Paul Newman put his name on it. The only problem with it is that sometimes it's not hot enough ever since that dingbat was burned and sued them. That's about all I ever buy from them but if I'm hungry there I will grab a hot apple pie.

Getting the scoop on geletin ruined jelly candy for me, not to mention it's in about a billion other foods these days. That and high fructose corn syrup are the staples of the modern American diet.

I probably eat too much bread, as I'm craving a bagel right now. Oh yeah, and now I'm thirsting for that lemonade too.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-07-16 1:42 PM (#109323 - in reply to #109304)

Expert Yogi

Lately it's been dark chocolate raisins and these carmel thingy's with cream centers. After they are all gone, I will never eat another one for several months from now, I promise, except for the dark chocolate healthy raisins,
drjay1966
Posted 2008-07-16 1:54 PM (#109327 - in reply to #109029)

purnayoga wrote: "I would not eat it and I would not advocate it as there's nothing in it of value to advocate."

That makes sense but..."nothing of value" might be defined in different ways. Personally, I eat junk food compulsively, which isn't a good thing by any standard.
At the same time, there are times when I've had just wonderful experiences eating things that have no nutritional value whatsoever. Sometimes these have been bonding experiences with other people, other times just moments of deep solitary pleasure. Would such experiences be "of value"?
tourist
Posted 2008-07-16 6:39 PM (#109343 - in reply to #109327)

Expert Yogi

I have to agree with you Dr. Jay. (Love the screen name, BTW. Mr. Tourist wore his number in his b-ball paying days ) While nutritional value is key and certainly way up the list on why to eat what we eat, sometimes it is just time for a burger. And if you eat it with joy, it is probably ok. Even Neel eats and drinks things he officially believes are not 100% the best things to eat (though never a cheeseburger! ). I try to pay attention to what I eat and enjoy each mouthful. My major exception to that is popcorn. Popcorn should be eaten with no mindfulness except not wiping buttery fingers on clothes or furniture. It was created, I am sure, to be eaten with abandon.
drjay1966
Posted 2008-07-17 2:24 AM (#109352 - in reply to #109029)

Thanks, tourist. I should mention that my name is actually Jay and I actually am a doctor (specifically, the kind that, in case of medical emergency, can explain Moby **** to you while you die, but a doctor nonetheless), so I figure I have at least as much claim to it as Julius Erving.
More on topic, pleasure is too often overlooked in discussions of healthy eating. To give an extreme example, a couple years ago there was a lot of talk about ultra-low calorie diets. A doctor quoted in the NY Times said something along the lines of "if living to 90 means starving myself, 80 is looking better and better," and I say "speak it, brother!"
Of course, like anything, it's a matter of balance, and, at this point, the balance is off kilter in my case, thanks to a heavy pile of Ben & Jerry's pints and cupcakes. That's something I certainly need to work on, but that doesn't mean I'm saying "never again" to any of it....
Cyndi
Posted 2008-07-17 9:27 AM (#109368 - in reply to #109352)

Expert Yogi

That's right Jay!

I think I posted this on page 1, about being happy and joyful when you eat. If I eat the healthiest food in a bad mood or an unpleasant environment, or worse, eating and having a negative conversation, I simply cannot digest it, period. The mind is very powerful. Of course, eating Sattvic food is really important, and preferred. BUT, OTOH, I remember all those times I spent in the Tibetan Monastery where the High Lama would bless all those junk food cookies/cakes/candies, BEEF Tukpa, Beef MO MO's. I was so happy during that time and was full of life. Not that I'm not now, but it was a very pleasant experience that I had for several years. My body was very healthy and vibrant! I have my reasons for not eating Beef today, but if I were back in the monastery or better yet, in Tibet, I would have to re-think how I ate. Which at my age now....would be quite a challenge. Chicken mo mo's and tukpa ain't too bad, specially if its organic.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)