YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

off topic post
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

hnia
Posted 2008-06-18 3:40 PM (#108518)
Subject: off topic post

I know this isn't yoga. but Gas prices...

I'm paying more for gas but I'm not suffering. I"m just paying a little bit more %wise of my income to gasoline.

Is anyone really suffering. Al Gore said during one of the debates with Bush way back that this was going to happen. And we would all be paying more at the pump. Gas and Oil are necessary but I guess I'm wondering if you personally. I was always told that in the UK or europe that the price of gas was higher anyway. I just assumed that one day we would have to pay higher prices.

Thoughts? If this isn't appropriate for the board, my apologies...

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2008-06-18 3:58 PM (#108520 - in reply to #108518)
Subject: RE: off topic post

Expert Yogi

Hey Hnia,

We have an OT forum at the bottom of the list on the main forum page.

To answer your questions....

No, I'm not suffering, YET. But, it is making me more disicplined in my errands and forcing me to manage my time more wisely on the road. This is nothing new to me since I live in the boondocks and have to utilize time management skills constantly....it's just instead of my usual 2 hour long hauls, where I get everything done by going to the big city...I have to do it locally as well. My nearest big "small" city is 25 mins. away, where all the local stuff gets done.

Now, the day I can't get to the lake to do my walk, or to the mountains to do my hiking and outdoor yoga/meditation....that would be suffering to meeeee....because I'd have to walk a long way....and bicycling would be the only option. I don't care for biking straight up hills,

Posted 2008-06-18 6:07 PM (#108523 - in reply to #108518)

I have stopped all unnecessary trips and I am driving slower (the speed limit). All of our vehicles get over 30 mpg so I guess I'm OK there, although the next car I buy will have even better gas mileage. No, I'm not suffering. In fact, I think that it is great that gas is so expensive. Americans have known since the 70's that we need to conserve gas and oil and we have been wasting more every year. Maybe now that it is affecting people's wallets they will take the limited supply of fossil fuels more seriously. We need conservation, renewable energy sources, and other non-polluting energy sources. Europeans use significantly less fuel per capita than Americans do, not because they are more virtuous, but because fuel costs more there. We also need to take over-population seriously, since most of this planet's problems are related to the excessive number of people on it. With fewer people and more judicious use of resources, our species could be around for a very long time.

If you want fuel economy as well as performance, BMW has two new diesels that should be available in America soon:

BMW 120d: Third generation common-rail diesel engine with aluminum crankcase achieves zero to 62mph in 7.5 seconds (7.6 seconds for five-door) before going on to a top speed of 142mph. Output is 177hp (up 14hp) while peak torque is 350Nm (up 10Nm). Combined fuel consumption is 57.6mpg (improves by 16 per cent) and CO2 emissions are 129g/km (down 15.1 per cent).

BMW 118d: Third generation common-rail diesel engine with aluminum crankcase achieves zero to 62mph in 8.9 seconds (9.0 seconds for five door) before going on to a top speed of 130mph. Output is 143hp (up 21 hp) while peak torque is 300Nm (up 20Nm). Combined fuel consumption is 60.1mpg (improves by 19 per cent) and CO2 emissions are 123g/km (down 18 per cent).

tourist
Posted 2008-06-18 7:21 PM (#108525 - in reply to #108523)

Expert Yogi

Here's what happens: we get a big hike in fuel prices, everyone freaks, buys smaller cars, plans trips better yadda yadda. Over time we get used to the new prices and it starts all over again. This is assuming the prices continue to go up for a time and then level off as has happened many times in the past. Governments should certainly not start bailing us out. We will just use more fuel! If they need to spend in some way to help out, spent on rapid transit. I was thrilled to find out we are getting a bus on our street - figured I could stop driving to work. Yea right - I would have to leave the house at 7:30 to get to work by 9:00. Yes, this is pretty normal for commuting time for big cities. I should stop whining, right? It is a less than 10 minute drive! I could walk it in considerably less time than that bus would take. grrr....

Oh yeah, and don't ask about how long it took us to get our Ford hybrid. It never arrived. We switched to a Saturn Vue hybrid and it is very nice. Mr. Tourist uses about a third of the fuel he used on the old Explorer.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-06-18 7:50 PM (#108526 - in reply to #108525)

Expert Yogi

I personally think its a waste of a good vehicle, particularly mine, to go out and trade it for something else. Like, WTF are we suppose to do with all that junk metal after we run out of fuel?? This is just downright wasteful. I wish, hope and pray they can develop some type of technology that can be added on "existing" automobiles for fuel alternatives. I know we can do it...question is whether we will or not. Like my step-father says, "It's all rigged",

Posted 2008-06-18 9:32 PM (#108530 - in reply to #108518)

Poor people in America have it much better then middle-class people in the rest of the world. Poor people in America have generally a higher standard of living than middle class Americans had in the 1950's. High gas prices are only a problem for people who have enough money to own a car. A much bigger problem is the rise in food prices.

Edited by jimg 2008-06-18 9:33 PM
Orbilia
Posted 2008-06-19 6:03 AM (#108533 - in reply to #108530)

One garage in the UK this week was in the news for having prices that meant it cost £100 to fill the tank of an average car

Fuel costs here are 70% tax. The UK government has been pressing motorists hard for years now as a means of encouraging a reduction in use with mixed results.

Here, you can look forward to :
- Congestion charging whereby you pay to use roads in the inner city of London and soon other UK cities.
- High road tax
- High insurance charges
- High parking charges, if you can find parking at all
- Extortionate fines for speeding, 'illegal' parking, and even being the single occupant when using special lanes meant for car-sharers.

Do we have much sympathy with US complaints about fuel costs which are still about half ours? 'Erm, not much

Fee
Cyndi
Posted 2008-06-19 7:22 AM (#108534 - in reply to #108533)

Expert Yogi

Actually Fee,

All those things you mentioned...High taxes, high insurance, high parking, those extortionate fines for speeding....we pay all that and more!! Not only do we have high gas prices, but in addition to it, we pay annual taxes on our vehicles, we have trolls, oops I mean tolls on our roads, we also have to register and pay for car tags/plates. If you don't pay your taxes and keep your vehicle insured at the cost of having another car payment, you don't get your tag. To top it all off....all these taxes are "suppose" to pay for our infrastructure - you know roads and bridges and so forth...NOT...it goes to corrupted city and local governments who mismanage the funds, yadda yadda.

As for our gas costs being less, I don't think so when you compare the ratio of the US dollar to the Pound. Most cars in Europe are smaller, get better gas mileage, etc. I think its all about the same. Like I said, "it's all rigged"...that means in your country too!!
Orbilia
Posted 2008-06-19 8:18 AM (#108535 - in reply to #108534)

I guess.

I know what you mean about the infrastructure. Folk locally reckon you can tell when you re-enter the county of Berkshire by the degredation in road surface quality, especially if you're coming in from the north, via Oxfordshire.

I agree with measures to reduce congestion / consumption however as we've more than got to the point where it's essential to stop burning fossil fuels. Parking I have more of an issue with. For example, my mother has a disabled badge for her car as both her and her partner have mobility issues. You'd think that would mean she could park outside my house without having to worry about restrictions, right? Especially as I live in a quietish, wide road. Wrong! I have to issue her with a guest parking permit that I have to buy from the local council. Not only that, but as these are by the day, I have to provide two if she wants to stay overnight. Even residents have to pay for an annual permit to park their own car outside their own door. There are locations where you can park for up to 2 hours without a permit but whether you can or not depends on the time of day and that varies from spot to spot. Confused, you soon will be!

Fee

tourist
Posted 2008-06-19 9:49 AM (#108537 - in reply to #108518)

Expert Yogi

jim - you are right. But in the 50's people could walk where they needed to go, and safely, I might add. We have built our cities based on the concept of cheap fuel and cars so now we are chained to an outmoded system that is essentially killing us. Adapting will not be easy.

Cyndi - you are right. We need to be able to retrofit our existing cars, homes etc. so we don't have to pay the costs of rebuilding our entire lives.

uel costs here are 70% tax. The UK government has been pressing motorists hard for years now as a means of encouraging a reduction in use with mixed results.

Here, you can look forward to :
- Congestion charging whereby you pay to use roads in the inner city of London and soon other UK cities.
- High road tax
- High insurance charges
- High parking charges, if you can find parking at all
- Extortionate fines for speeding, 'illegal' parking, and even being the single occupant when using special lanes meant for car-sharers.

Fee - yet in spite of all this, the UK, like everywhere in the developed world (maybe we should start saying "overdeveloped" world) is jam packed with cars. Even the huge fee people have to pay to drive in London is not seeming to reduce the traffic. I was sad to see in 2003 that people with no parking spots in front of their homes had paved their front gardens/yards to park their cars.

And then we get health advisories about things like Nalgene bottles that now, due to the probably teeny tiny minuscule chance that they might contribute to cancer, all have to be tossed. Great! Dispose of millions of tons of petroleum product and replace it with what? Oh right - stainless steel! If I remember my eco-warrior facts correctly, what is one of the most non-green, raw materials consuming, nasty manufacturing processes on the planet? Right! Steel.

Ach - I begin to think that it IS all rigged.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-06-19 10:30 AM (#108538 - in reply to #108537)

Expert Yogi

Seems to me that I was hearing something recently about the city of New York banning cars, and/or charging some astronomical fee to drive your car and this includes delivery trucks too, into NYC. I was like, Wow!! I haven't heard much more about that one since everyone was freaking out about it. Of course, if I drove to NYC, I would definitely park my vehicle, walk and ride the metro. That's so easy. Here where I live....not easy. In fact, I'd be willing to ride a train and park outside the city...although...it would be so hard to carry all my stuff, I pack my SUV full to the max when I travel. It's getting easier though since there are more organic food places and healthier water available. When I'm making honey and candle deliveries, well....you just got to have the right vehicle dammit!

When we were in Italy, it was so hard to drive everybody around making 2 trips. That little tiny panda bear car only held 5 people and barely your groceries. They put all our luggage on top of the other larger car when we were picked up from the airport. I was so scared going back..I was so worried my Olio baggage was going to fall off and bee scattered across the highway in Rome. Oh yea, once me and dear daughter was out and about and wanted to wash the little tiny car. OMG, I don't know what the heck went wrong or if that car was even washable...the front floor was totally flooded. If you could only see me in Italia, in a parking lot using a cafe cup scooping the water from the front floor. But hey, we had a really clean car thereafter, scary stuff

Tourist, can you imagine the world if we really did run out of gas?? One sight that really disturbs me more than anything is a giant heap of metal, YIKES!!
Orbilia
Posted 2008-06-19 10:53 AM (#108539 - in reply to #108538)

Oh, I agree we need to reduce consumption. Reduce, re-use, recycle's my mantra. I just get fed up with the diversionary tactics used to prevent governments actually having to DO something useful such as providing subsidies on the cost of replacing your roof tiles with solar ones or laying in a special technology under roads (when resurfacing anyway) that converts the friction-generated heat into electricity.

The most recent here was making you feel like a social pariah if you took a plastic bag at the supermarket. Yes, there are too many. Yes, they get dumped irresponsibly. However, I've been re-using mine for years - for freezing bread, lining buckets, disposing of mucky waste like soiled cat litter, even more shopping. They have also been made of recyclable plastic for years. One argument was that shops should offer card/paper ones instead. These are heavier so use more fuel to deliver. Mmmm, so they actually have a heavier carbon footprint. Another was use a bag for life instead. Ok, I do that already too, but if I used it exclusively, how would I cover the uses above? Oh, I know, buy bin liners as instructed by my local council when I asked how to stop my bins from getting loaded with maggots when they switched to fortnightly collections (1 week recyclables, 1 week non-recyclables). Confused, you soon will be again!

We need to stop the knee-jerk responses and start some joined-up thinking and **** quick!

Fee

PS, Anyone know how to get soapbox splinters out of your feet?

bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-06-19 10:54 AM (#108540 - in reply to #108518)

Rock and Roll will save us-

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/443872

Now if they can only retrofit my furnace for heat this winter.
Orbilia
Posted 2008-06-19 11:18 AM (#108541 - in reply to #108540)

Some folk here are trading in their car for models that can safely run on vegetable oil. Guess which commodity will be increasing in price next?

Fee
Cyndi
Posted 2008-06-19 12:43 PM (#108542 - in reply to #108539)

Expert Yogi

about the plastic grocery bags...

My problem is the same as your's Fee. I use those bags for all sorts of things. When I started using my "green" bags, I ran out of the plastic grocery bags. Now, when I go to the grocery store, if I need plastic bags, I don't bring in the "green" bags..on purpose. Yep, it's confusing alright. But, now that I'm over being confused, I figured out how to be "skillful" about it,
hnia
Posted 2008-06-19 12:57 PM (#108543 - in reply to #108518)

I don't mind paying more for gas/oil, but it seems like the industries are doing better than ever. Somehow this doesn't make much sense to me. I don't think we will ever consume less as a planet. I just see things getting worse and worse until there is no choice but to conserve and create other alternatives.

I agree that overpopulation is a problem.

Posted 2008-06-19 3:09 PM (#108547 - in reply to #108518)

I do the same thing with the bags. Use my canvas bags unless I am running low on paper or plastic bags.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-06-19 4:53 PM (#108552 - in reply to #108543)

Expert Yogi

hnia - 2008-06-19 12:57 PM

I don't mind paying more for gas/oil, but it seems like the industries are doing better than ever. Somehow this doesn't make much sense to me. I don't think we will ever consume less as a planet. I just see things getting worse and worse until there is no choice but to conserve and create other alternatives.

I agree that overpopulation is a problem.

Well, that is one of the major issues going on with the Corporate's in the oil industry. They are the ONLY ones who profited over the past few years and cried at the same time. It's all crap. Did you know that when GWB took office, gas was $1.46 a gallon. It's so mind boggeling!
hnia
Posted 2008-06-19 4:56 PM (#108553 - in reply to #108552)

Yes, I remember how much cheaper gas was because I purchased my 1st new car and I could fill it up for under $20.

Politics in general makes me depressed.
tourist
Posted 2008-06-19 7:52 PM (#108559 - in reply to #108553)

Expert Yogi

Here's the thing with the bags. I can remember waaaaaay back in the olden days before plastic bags so I got to thinking about how we ever coped, since we all seem to have such a "need" for the silly things now. (And don't get me started on those people who insist they need a bag large enough to carry a full sized turkey to scoop up after little Fifi when she poops in the park... )

Here's how it worked - we used paper grocery bags. a) They held a LOT more groceries per bag so we didn't have so d*mned many, b) the food we bought was not as hideously overpackaged as it is now so it took up less space (little mylar bags of "cookies" inside a great big box? Come ON!) c) almost everyone produced some food at home (gardening, fishing, hunting, preserving etc.) d) we bought ingredients, not meals - a big bag of flour and one of sugar to make all those cookies at home require less baggage - and finally, I don't think we ate as much back then. certainty not as much "snack food."

So we had fewer bags. And we didn't put all the stuff in them like we do today. A paper bag would melt if we put wet stuff into it, but most of the food scraps and waste either went to the dog or in the compost. Even if you weren't a gardener and do a proper compost, there was a pile out in the back yard with vegetable peels and grass clippings in it. Most people I know burned their paper waste in a backyard burning barrel - that all goes to recycling now. And the really yucky, gross stuff got put into a tin can or milk carton and went into the garbage. So there really was not a lot to put out to the curb every week. The notion of someone needing wheels to take out their garbage can or needing two cans for a family (even 5 and 6 child families, which were not at all rare) was ridiculous and maybe even a bit distasteful.

I realized that I gave up this sort of waste removal when we moved into an apartment building. No compost, recycling wasn't widely available and since everything just went down the magic chute and disappeared, I really didn't have to think about it anymore. So now I am having to get my head around trying to live more like we lived in the 60's as far as garbage goes. I can't have an open compost in my neighbourhood - the neighbours would scream about rats etc (which are around anyway, people) so I'll have to see if I can get a compost barrel on freecycle or somewhere. That will be a good start.

Actually, I think if every merchant who sold something had to accept all the waste back from every product they sold, we could get this fixed up pretty quickly.
Orbilia
Posted 2008-06-20 6:03 AM (#108563 - in reply to #108559)

Oh I agree about composting. Here, the council will take your garden waste and compost it themselves for use in land-fill/land reclamation/improvement projects. I haven't started yet as my garden has very little useable soil currently (which is why I have so may pots) but I certainly will be after it's landscaped and has a suitable corner for a wormery.

Most of my non-recyclable bin is taken up with dirty cat litter. I buy the recycled wood pellet because it's compostable. The council don't accept it as such however due to the risk of bacteria. Now, call me strange, but just how is this any riskier than the other waste they do take such as meat that may have been sat in your bin for up to a fortnight before being collected? I do know that they go through the non-recyclable bin for anything that can be burnt as they route that to a local power station.

Most of my recyclable bin is paper. I'm on the no marketing bumf please list but still get shed loads, mainly leaflets stuffed though my door from fast food places. The rest tends to be the horrendous amount of info that financial institutions are now legally obliged to send you about your pension, investments, etc, etc. Quite why you have to be told on a per product basis rather than a per customer basis I will never understand.

The supermarkets are finally starting to address the subject of over-packaging. Strangely though, everyone's concentrating on food packaging where I've alwasy thought it tends to be toiletries and cosmetics who're the worst offenders. I gave up using one brand of hair anti-frizz as it came in a plastic bottle that was then laid to rest in a plastic form before being slide into a plastic box. Why the box and anti-rattle form were needed when the bottle had an anti-tamper seal on the nozzle is quite beyond me!

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2008-06-20 6:11 AM

Posted 2008-06-20 9:21 PM (#108582 - in reply to #108563)

The solution to food packaging is buying food from farmers and fruit/vegetable stands where there is NO packaging. That is the only real food anyway. The packaged food is grown several continents away, picked green, and then shipped to wholesalers who package it in smaller boxes and send it to retailers who put cellophane around it and sell it (often a month later) as though it was the same as that item picked fresh and eaten the next day! Prana is life force. Prana is in our food. The longer it has been dead and the less life force it had when it was picked, the less life force you recieve from eating it. Unlike America and some other countries, continental Europe and many other places have FRESH food markets that are triving in every town with FRESH fish, fruits and vegetables bought directly from the farmer (or fisherman). There is some of that in UK and America, but if you would like to see more of it, you must support it. It really is more important that food is picked ripe and eaten fresh than that it is organic, although it is best when it is both.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-06-20 10:05 PM (#108584 - in reply to #108582)

Expert Yogi

That's right Jim, Buy Local and Eat Local. If anyone is in North Carolina, East Tennessee, North Georgia or South Carolina....go to http://www.asapconnections.org Here you will find a long list of farms, partners, tailgate markets, csa's etc. I joined an organic csa this year...I just love it!!! My bee farm is a partner with this organization. It's so nice to be a part of something that's doing good things for the earth and for our community.

Speaking of markets...I'm off to my little market tomorrow. Got to get up at 4 am. to sell honey and beeswax candles,
tourist
Posted 2008-06-21 9:42 AM (#108591 - in reply to #108584)

Expert Yogi

jim - while I agree with you in principle, and I do strongly feel we need to protect our farmland and not keep building condos and golf courses on it, I would say it is pretty hard to eat all locally grown food all the time unless you live somewhere like Florida or California. And even then it is a stretch. I live in a warm and hospitable area of Canada, yet I would still be pretty hungry by mid-winter if I didn't have imported food or so-called "dead" preserved food. In fact, the 100 Mile Diet folks live very close to me and they found it pretty rough going. No coffee, tea, sugar, lemons, oranges, very little wheat (though there is some produced right down the road from me), rice, etc. Things we take for granted as staples, such as pepper! So that is one aspect.

The other is that, unless one is an intrepid cyclist or has other very "green" transport, having everyone drive out to the country to hit the farm stalls or markets is certainly more polluting than bringing large quantities to where the people live. I live in a semi-rural area and will gladly stop on the way home at the few local farms on my way to pick up what is in season, but I will not make special trips out to the countryside to buy a few tomatoes or free range eggs as a rule. The actual cost and the carbon cost is simply too high to make that work.

But yeah - it is a problem and a conundrum, isn't it? I wanted to fill up my deep freeze with local strawberries this year, but we have had so little sun the crop is pretty much non-existent. Did I cave and buy California berries? You bet. Do I feel sad about it? Oh yes.

Posted 2008-06-21 1:15 PM (#108594 - in reply to #108591)

Glenda,
Some foods are no better when they are local. Coffee, tea, pepper corns, nuts, rice, most grains, and seeds in general are no "better" when fresh and can be strored for months without any difference in quality. Things like fruits and vegetables (also fish) are MUCH tastier and MUCH more healthy when consumed fresh, which means same day whenever possible. (Citrus does last a little longer because of its thick peel.)

There is no reason that we need to eat out of season foods. It is wonderful to eat the different fruits and vegetables as they locally come into season. It keeps your diet interesting. Wait for your local BC strawberries instead of buying the earlier California ones. Life is too short to eat green tasteless strawberries!

If you buy your fresh local food, there is significantly less transport involved. If your farmer's market does not have items that you want, ask them. Our local grocery stores sell local milk, local cheese, local honey, local apples, local berries and fresh local free range eggs. If yours doesn't, ask them to. Markets and stores try to sell what people want, so if you don't let them know, they won't carry those items.

I eat fresh, non-packaged foods because they taste significantly better, not for any idealistic reasons even though I appreciate those reasons.
Namaste,
Jim
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)