YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

vasistha's yoga - anti-hatha?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

blushing
Posted 2008-06-15 9:51 PM (#108440)
Subject: vasistha's yoga - anti-hatha?

regarding the swami venkatesananda translation

p. 275 or use the index for hatha yoga
during the story of Uddalaka -
"all this happenned without the violence of Hatha Yoga: for Hatha Yoga gives rise to pain"

page 320 or use the index for hatha yoga.
during the story of Vitahavya:
Ignoring these and resorting to violent practrices like Hatha Yoga, austerities, pilgrimage, rites and rituals are a waster of time. Self knowledge alone bestows delight on you..
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-06-16 7:18 PM (#108445 - in reply to #108440)
Subject: RE: vasistha's yoga - anti-hat

so you're saying that we've all been wasting our time?!??!!?

now what am i going to do with my life...
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-06-16 8:41 PM (#108446 - in reply to #108440)
Subject: RE: vasistha's yoga - anti-hat

Dear Blushing: Each practice has its own purpose. In the similar way, each instruction has its own purpose. In the Shrimad Bhagavadgita: in the first few chapters, Krishna is advising Arjuna that he should continue his duty as a warrior against unjust and evil ways of the evil Kauravas.

Then, in a later chapter he says, I like the devotee who may offer just flower, leaf, fruits or water to me with devotion.

He does not mean by that that one who is in the battlefield should sit down and start doing worship with flowers or water.

In the similar way, in the Vashishta Yoga (properly named YogaVaashishtha), Vashishtha is describing the path of knowledge to Shree Rama who has reached the pinnacle of Spiritual Practice. The same Vashistha taught Yoga Exercises to the same Rama when Rama was a boy of eight years old.

The purport of the above statement is "A Hathayoga practitioner should not get attached to the body and bodily health to such an extent that it comes in the way of Self Knowledge".

Posted 2008-06-16 10:46 PM (#108449 - in reply to #108440)
Subject: RE: vasistha's yoga - anti-hatha?

blushing - 2008-06-15 6:51 PM

p. 275 or use the index for hatha yoga
during the story of Uddalaka -
"all this happenned without the violence of Hatha Yoga: for Hatha Yoga gives rise to pain"

Yes, the way some people practice Hatha Yoga, it is violence and gives rise to pain!

Posted 2008-06-16 11:17 PM (#108450 - in reply to #108440)

blushing - 2008-06-15 6:51 PM

page 320 or use the index for hatha yoga.
during the story of Vitahavya:
Ignoring these and resorting to violent practrices like Hatha Yoga, austerities, pilgrimage, rites and rituals are a waster of time. Self knowledge alone bestows delight on you..

Other people practice Hatha Yoga in a way that leads to Self knowledge.

Bottom line: It is the way you practice, not what you practice. All practices can lead to self delusion and physical, mental and spiritual injury. All practices can also lead to Self knowledge. If you do it with balance (inner peace) and a joyful heart, it will bring Self knowledge. If you do it with force (violence) and greed, it will bring pain and suffering.

What these quotes mean to me is: The mindless repetition of any action (Hatha Yoga, austerities, pilgrimage, rites, rituals etc) leads nowhere and can even do harm. You can only transcend your current state through Self knowledge, which is an internal process, not an external bribe of some imaginary "higher being" (i.e. If I do this, give up that, or endure some pain, then You (whatever god I am projecting) will give me pleasure or whatever I want).
drjay1966
Posted 2008-07-19 12:11 AM (#109448 - in reply to #108440)

Has there ever been a spiritual practice, belief, or ideology that hasn't been (mis)used so that it led to pain (for the practitioner and/or other people) at one time or other?
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-07-19 4:26 PM (#109476 - in reply to #109448)

Let me ask you this question: Has there been a surgery using a cutting utensils of a surgeon that was performed on a subject for whatever modality, due to accident, due to inborn or whatever, that never led to any pain?

drjay1966 - 2008-07-19 12:11 AM

Has there ever been a spiritual practice, belief, or ideology that hasn't been (mis)used so that it led to pain (for the practitioner and/or other people) at one time or other?

Posted 2008-07-20 12:28 AM (#109484 - in reply to #109476)

May I quote what someone else posted on this forum:

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.
sagopalm
Posted 2009-09-08 9:10 PM (#118225 - in reply to #108440)
Subject: Re: vasistha's yoga - anti-hatha?

I think that asanas have not only physical effects but also psychologic and biochemical effects.

Just scroll down to Asanas:

http://www.yoga-age.com/pradipika/part1.html

You cannot practice meditation with an aching stomach. This role of the asanas is perfectly clear. But asanas have more subtler roles.

In Hatha Yoga Pradipika I have read that, for the seekers, they have to master asanas. Obviously, yama and nyama
are prerequisites, but we talk now about asanas.

I cannot remember where I read that it takes, on the average, 12 years to master the asanas.
BhujagaShaya
Posted 2010-04-12 11:09 AM (#122352 - in reply to #108440)
Subject: Re: vasistha's yoga - anti-hatha?

These type of quotes are often misinterpretated. There are many quotes like this in Hindu scriptures. Some people take them out of context.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)