YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Should I do Kundalini yoga?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Kundalini YogaMessage format

Crimson
Posted 2008-06-10 4:11 AM (#108282)
Subject: Should I do Kundalini yoga?

Well I read up on this type of Yoga a while back, through "Meditation as Medicine". I was intrigued, I was looking up books on it, but figured a DVD set would be best. I'm in Japan, and I don't know of any teachers in the area, so I figured this would be the best bet. This is the DVD package I bought:

http://www.kundaliniyoga.org/books.html

Scroll down to the "Kundalini yoga for Beginners" by Nirvair Singh. I was pretty excited, so I bought it and thought it would be something great to add to my lifestyle, and hopefully become more at peace with myself and possibly even be much healthier. Well I have to say, reading through these forums, and online, I'm almost terrified to start this. It seems it has so much bad that can come from it, people go insane, some people have out of body experiences and freak out, others have pains and health problems. What the hell? I thought this was supposed to be helping all of that. With that said, anyone have advice to give me? Should I start Kundalini yoga using these DVDs? Or should I drop it altogether? Honestly I'm not really sure I want to risk all those problems I could possibly have, especially the insanity just to be "a little healthier". To be honest I just wanted to get into yoga to supplement my already vigorous workout type life. I wanted something I could do in the evening to help me recover faster, sleep better, and overall just be more at peace. So any advice or suggestions I'm open to. Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-06-10 8:00 AM (#108287 - in reply to #108282)
Subject: RE: Should I do Kundalini yoga

while there are risks to practicing any kind of yoga without a teacher, in general, most of the extreme risks (such as going insane) are rather rare. very few people experience these negative aspects, and the vast majority of practitioners experience only benefits.

so, i wouldn't be overly concerned about starting kundalini yoga from a book/dvd. a lot of people practice this way and have no problems whatsoever.

beyond this, i do not know what "kind" of kundalini yoga you have, but it is generally considered very vigorous. there are gentle forms of yoga that might balance out your vigorous, active life such as svaroopa yoga.

it's an option, if you're interested.

enjoy!
Crimson
Posted 2008-06-11 5:14 AM (#108313 - in reply to #108282)

Well I'm going to ask some of the Japanese women in our building to see if they know of any instructors in the area. I doubt it, but you never know. I just got my package today, it came with 8 DVDs and a few books. One of them is a pretty thick book that explains all the scientifics about it and such. Doesn't seem like one of those "get rich quick" type of deals, it looks pretty good. I'll read through the books fairly well before I attempt it. I'll look at the DVDs and see what they're like. I guess I'm just paranoid that this is going to have a profoundly negative effect on me, but then again why would it have such a huge following if it was THAT bad? If this isn't for me, I'll get into Qigong or Taichi. Thanks for the info!
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-06-11 8:11 AM (#108319 - in reply to #108313)

I strongly suggest that you write to the teacher/author in the product you shall practice with.

Crimson - 2008-06-11 5:14 AM

Well I'm going to ask some of the Japanese women in our building to see if they know of any instructors in the area. I doubt it, but you never know. I just got my package today, it came with 8 DVDs and a few books. One of them is a pretty thick book that explains all the scientifics about it and such. Doesn't seem like one of those "get rich quick" type of deals, it looks pretty good. I'll read through the books fairly well before I attempt it. I'll look at the DVDs and see what they're like. I guess I'm just paranoid that this is going to have a profoundly negative effect on me, but then again why would it have such a huge following if it was THAT bad? If this isn't for me, I'll get into Qigong or Taichi. Thanks for the info!

Posted 2008-06-11 1:08 PM (#108326 - in reply to #108313)

qigong and tai chi are just as powerful as kundalini (or any form) of yoga.

kundalini refers to the energy that moves through the body; both qi gong and tai chi also deal with the energy moving through the body (qi or chi). thus, in both practices, you are moving energy through the body.

and thus, in both practices, you have the same risks of energy flow problems that can lead to various problems, but as i said before, most people do not have these problems.

your risk is slim, say less than 1 in 1000 or 1 in 1000000.

Posted 2008-06-11 1:08 PM (#108327 - in reply to #108313)

qigong and tai chi are just as powerful as kundalini (or any form) of yoga.

kundalini refers to the energy that moves through the body; both qi gong and tai chi also deal with the energy moving through the body (qi or chi). thus, in both practices, you are moving energy through the body.

and thus, in both practices, you have the same risks of energy flow problems that can lead to various problems, but as i said before, most people do not have these problems.

your risk is slim, say less than 1 in 1000 or 1 in 1000000.
Sat Puran Kaur
Posted 2008-06-21 3:26 AM (#108588 - in reply to #108282)
Subject: RE: Should I do Kundalini yoga?

Hi,
From my experience, it's better to start studying Kundalini Yoga with a Teacher, because there is more behind the practice, and a Teacher can give you a good direction on how to practice, and also answer questions. I know I had so many questions when I started, and also today I prefer to do a Kundalini class at least once a week.
Also practicing with a group is no doubt more powerful, and I found that I can do better with a teacher in the more challenging Kriyas.
As for the risks, this is why it's recommended to practice with a teacher, at least at the beginning, not because you can go "mad", but because the flow of the Kundalini can be stuck sometimes if you are not doing the Kriya in the right way. and it is very easy to not do it right when you are a beginner - from personal experience.
joshi
Posted 2009-01-18 5:31 PM (#112930 - in reply to #108282)
Subject: Re: Should I do Kundalini yoga?

Hi there,

I know this is an old thread. I hope Kundalini is helping you. I agree with Puran Kaur, don't worry about the negative side affects. Any negative side affect is purely a negativity that is within you, trying to hold on to is self for survival. And a teacher here is very very helpful in doing the postures correctly and dealing with the physical symptoms/affects of Kundalini. For me it isn't scary. Just very uncomfortable at times. Acceptance is important.

Most people don't like to venture into themselves due to the negativity that has built up over the years/lives. But the idea of Kundalini is self realization. The only way to change something is to be truly aware of its presence in the first place.
So... are you prepared to realize your true self. Or not.

Posted 2009-01-23 1:00 AM (#113111 - in reply to #112930)
Subject: Re: Should I do Kundalini yoga?

This thread is a bit of a powder-keg and I'd like to not be nearby when it goes off :-)

One of the things yoga efforts to teach humanity is that there is no universal right and wrong. There are things that work for you and there may be other things that work for me. Those things may be completely different. Holding a view of right and wrong leads not only to dogma but to war.

In this way, no one can tell you what is right for you. It is up to you to guide your ship. If Kundalini yoga speaks to you AND if doing Kundalini Yoga moves you closer to the light that is the Self AND that movement is reflected in your relationships with self, others, and planet, then have at it with all the tapas you can muster. This goes for any yoga at all. If after five years of diligent practice you still argue with your spouse, still have no idea who you are, and still behave in discord with the planet then MY spidey sense would be tingling.

I happen to have a different view than Zoe does on energy and the martial arts. With no disrespect I'll add it here...

Kundalini refers to an energy force coiled at the base of the spine. The raising of that energy is serious business. This is very powerful and in a student with a malaligned spine, raising that energy can be hazardous. I could not pretend there are specific numbers. But to me as a yoga teacher it takes only one. I don't care if it's one in 10,000,000. That's too many for yoga.

This kundalini is not the same energy as prana. Likewise chinese meridians are not yoga nadis, though both may be classified as subtle channels. Furthermore the energy that is cultivated in yoga is mixed in the heart center to transform the pelvic and mental forces (the animal nature and the intellect). In martial arts the energy that is cultivated is a fighting force (though it may not be used for same) and that is cultivated IN the dan tien (lower nature) which is just below and behind the navel.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)