YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

shoulderstand pressure
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

karmann
Posted 2008-06-08 10:18 PM (#108232)
Subject: shoulderstand pressure

In class last week during shoulderstand, I developed quite a lot of pressure that I mostly felt moving up the sides of my face toward the top of my head. It came on slowly and I wasn't really all that aware of it at first as I was thinking of other things (mainly, wondering why I felt as though my body wasn't as straight as it usually is during the pose and why I felt so labored.) I didn't say anything, thought it was maybe a fluke...

So the next night in class, same thing only worse. And I was aware of it pretty early. So I told my teacher and she had me come down right away. I was a little alarmed because she seemed pretty concerned. The pressure feeling began to dissipate when I came down, but took maybe 5 minutes total to really go away. The only thing my teacher said she noticed was that my neck was very hard.

This was Tuesday and Wednesday.

Today, Sunday, I tried the pose again at home. Went into halasana first for a moment, then sarvangasana. Felt the pressure beginning almost right away and came down. Oh, and as I came down I got that tight-throat feeling like I might cough. After a few minutes I got another blanket to add to my shoulderstand foam and went up again. The pressure was there again, maybe not as bad so I did halasana for a few minutes and came down.

In class both times I used my usual four blankets, which actually makes a higher shelf than what I use at home.

It seems the symptoms are slightly different each time and sometimes worse with halasana and sometimes worse with shoulderstand.

If it helps I'll add a bit of my background- I'm 47, female, practicing yoga for about 5 years now regularly; Iyengar lessons in the summers for the last 3 years with fairly regular practice at home. Good physical shape, walk 3 miles every day. Never any real problems with shoulderstand.

The only thing I could come up with, that's been different before this happened (and I feel a little silly mentioning it, but what the heck): A couple of days before (and including the days of both incidents) I was wearing a new pair of shoes. They are the platform-type with a toe thong. I am 5' 10" and don't normally wear shoes like this but they were good-looking and I fell in love Anyway, they are not terribly high- about and inch and a half at the heel and maybe 3/4 inches at the toe. It's probably important to mention that they did not cause me any discomfort while I wore them. Or after.

So I'm just wondering if any of you think this could be the cause? I haven't worn them since Wed. and still had the problem today.

Or does something else come to mind? When I go to class again on Tues. my teacher plans to watch me go up to see if something is going wrong there. I know there are probably lots of possibilities and that you'd also need to see me do the pose; but maybe this is something you've had happen and you might have suggestions....

Thanks in advance.

(Oh, and I guess I should mention that I do have a fair amount of sinus congestion on a regular basis. But nothing out of the ordinary on these days and I didn't even think to mention it to my instructor at the time because it's nothing new and it's never bothered my shoulderstand before. But today, when I was really trying to pay attention, it did feel as though my sinuses felt worse. But that would make sense, since the pressure was rising in my face. In other words, I don't feel my sinuses caused the problem; I think that the problem made my sinuses worse.)

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-06-09 2:17 AM (#108233 - in reply to #108232)
Subject: RE: shoulderstand pressure

I'm not a medical doctor but from the yoga perspective...

Do you have a healthy cervical curve to begin with Karmann?
Since it sounds like you are using appropriate pros I would next wonder if you are using those props, well, PROPerly? Not seeing your setup and you entry to the pose it would be very difficult to "tell".

New shoes? I doubt it. Anything is possible of course as heels tend to shorten tendons and malalign the leg bones but a couple of days?

Neck stuff is more likely issue with expression. So I'd look there energetically.

In the meantime I would be curious about your experience in a supported Sarvangasana on a bolster and chair. Additionally I'd be curious if you have the same feeling when standing erect with the hands clasped behind, lifting, and the head dropped forward.

It is also possible you've got a subluxated vertebrae in the cervical region which a chiro could manipulate of you "go that way".
Nick
Posted 2008-06-09 3:51 AM (#108236 - in reply to #108232)

Hi Karmann,
I've experienced similiar symptoms in a few students over the years. I recall that many of them also experienced sinus problems. One method offered all of them varying degrees of relief, and in most seemed to cure to symptoms completely, but I haven't kept in touch with all of them, so I don't know what the eventual outcome was.
I found that all of them lost good neck positioning-this is not good for any body, but it would appear that malfunction in this head and neck area may be more acutley flet by those who already have an on-going problem.
So instructions like the following helped:
1/ Direct the gaze towards the ceiling, not at the front of the torso.
2/ Maintain the arch, or lordosis, of the cervical spine.
3/ Press the back of the skull lightly against the floor, which helps to engage the muscles in the back of the neck, bolstering the cerical lordosis from underneath.
4/ Actively draw the chin away from the sternum, or breastbone. Many students are taught or make the mistake of tucking the chin into the notch at the top of the sternum, which then helps them to place the hands higher up the rib cage as the torso is brought closer to the chin. Trouble is, it destroys the neck architecture.

All of these instructions basically do the same thing, i.e. maintain the neck curvature, but different individuals get better results from using one or more different focuses.
Another thing that might help is not to maintain the posture by pressing the hands against the back, but by pressing the back against the hands-again, this helps to de-compress the neck-makes the posture much more intense, as your whole body tightens to maintain the more advanced posture, but this is no bad thing, just spend less time in the pose. And be extra careful with plough pose, perhaps leave it for a couple of weeks and then re-introduce it carefully once you have the problem under control and fully understood.
Hope this is of some help.
Take care
Nick
OrangeMat
Posted 2008-06-09 7:07 AM (#108239 - in reply to #108232)

For whatever it's worth, when I wear shoes with a heel, I feel pain and pressure in my neck. If I wear shoes without sufficient arch support, I get pain in my hips all the up my spine into my neck. Tends to last at least a day afterwards. I've always had high arches, and over the past several years, gravity has started affecting them, and so now I need to wear custom orthotics. It's an age sort of thing, ya know? I'm 46, and have needed the orthotics for close to 10 years now.

I've also had issues with shoulderstand in the past, similar to yours. If I don't pay attention as to how I lift up and hold myself in the pose, it feels as if my sinuses are going to explode into my eyes. So yes, it's my non-professional but personal experience opinion that improper shoes can translate an imbalance all the way up the spine to the cervical area, which in turn could cause this pain. It's not a permanent thing, in that once the damage is done, you can never practice the pose again. You may just need to backtrack in your pose, maybe keep the feet on the wall for a bit, to relearn the alignment.

Good luck!

tourist
Posted 2008-06-09 9:48 AM (#108242 - in reply to #108239)

Expert Yogi

The most common cause of that sort of pressure for me is being too far on the blankets. If they are hitting the back of my head it seems to flatten the neck too much and be highly uncomfortable. Have you tried doing halasana with your feet raised on a chair? I find that helpful from time to time as I can work on things in my neck and shoulders with less pressure on the neck and head. Hope you figure it out soon!

Posted 2008-06-09 1:55 PM (#108251 - in reply to #108232)

Shoulderstand and plow can both injure the neck and often do. Try half shoulderstand and see what happens. (Half shoulderstand has the benefits of full shoulderstand without many of the risks.)
The point of yoga asana practice is to improve your health and well-being. If a particular pose is not doing that, omit it!

From Yoga Journal:

The most common posture to cause injuries—especially in people over 40-is Shoulderstand, according to Larry Payne, Ph.D., a Los Angeles yoga teacher and therapist and coauthor of Yoga Rx (Broadway Books, 2002).
Roger Cole agrees that the neck is vulnerable and can be injured during Shoulderstand if it is made to bear the body's weight. "The neck has a natural, concave curve in back," he notes. "Shoulderstand bends the neck the opposite way. Practiced too aggressively, it might contribute to problems ranging from bone spurs to disk injury."

A link that has more info:

http://www.layogamagazine.com/issue37/departments/shoulderstand.htm

You really don't want to compress your cervical vertabrae or stretch the neck tendons. There is no one asana that you NEED to practice. Practice those that do not pose a risk to you.

Edited by jimg 2008-06-09 2:01 PM
hnia
Posted 2008-06-09 2:21 PM (#108253 - in reply to #108232)

Seems strange to me that you would still be using blankets after 5 years of practice.
I recommend legs up the wall for a couple of weeks. Then try with no blankets.

You probably just have some blockage in your sinuses... Try eating some spicy food to clear your sinuses.

Oh, you look up in warriors, utkatasana, triangle, too! This should help bring the natural curve back in your neck.

tourist
Posted 2008-06-09 6:39 PM (#108268 - in reply to #108253)

Expert Yogi

I don't want to speak for Karmann, but Iyengar students use blankets until our teacher observes that we are able to safely do the pose without them - possibly for the rest of this lifetime. And Karmann is an Iyengar student, so we should not contradict her teacher. But regardless of that, I would not suggest to anyone that they should look at removing blankets when they are having that sort of symptom during the pose. A little up and down tweaking and experimenting, perhaps, but this is not the time for radical changes, IMHO.
Nick
Posted 2008-06-10 7:28 AM (#108286 - in reply to #108236)

Hi Karmann,
I should have said that most of these students had sinus problems, but that the symptoms they experienced during shoulderstand were unlike anything they experienced previously. I'm presuming the posture itself alters the symptoms-it was only upon questioning that they revealed they had sinus congestion. I used to get it from hanging over a chair-but that lasted about three days, after which my spine opened up a bit to allow better neck position, or the posture cleared my sinuses for good.
Take care
Nick

Edited by Nick 2008-06-10 7:28 AM

Posted 2008-06-18 1:58 PM (#108515 - in reply to #108232)

I don't believe the tucking of the chin is an appropriate action for Sarvangasana. It is the sternum that moves toward the chin, not the other way 'round.

I would also align with Tourist (aka Glenda) and NOT reduce the props. In fact I'd consider additional props. The actions in the student's body, in order to do Sarvangasana safely, are many. Most students never reach those requisites.

As far as expression is concerned, I was lending a view that passed through the Anamaya Kosha into the Manamaya Kosha. The throat and neck can represent our abilities to express or not express. So that would need to be looked at, even though we as humans cling so strongly to "what is going on physically". It is, after all, only a manifestation. Nothing more. Are there any ways you are not expressing yourself in your life where you want to? Likewise are there ways you are expressing yourself that you need to attend to or modify? Rhetorical questions they are.
Nick
Posted 2008-06-18 6:39 PM (#108524 - in reply to #108233)

Hi Karmann,
I forgot/didn't know you had a scoliosis. This would perhaps make a massive difference-in scoliosis patients postures like shoulderstand might be contra-indicated-the thoracic spine is already kyphotic, and mistakes made in the pose may increase the curvature.
I'm very strict in my classes with shoulderstand, and am very uneasy about people practicing it, because I know that many will have already been taught it in a way that increase thoracic kyphosis-so I always teach a few things to remedy the pose.
When you are lying supine on ont the floor, ready to go up into shoulderstand, the width of your back prevents your arms being brought close together. This is why you will see many practicioners going up into shoulderstand and then shuffling their elbows closer together. So obviously lying supine isn't a good preparation for lifting in to shoulderstand !
What I do is lie on my back with the palms of my hands on the floor next to my thighs, and then press down with my arms from the hand to the shoulder-the spine then lifts up into extension, so the entire spine is lifted from the floor-this means that weight is borne on the back of the shoulder and the length of the arms, rather than on the spine itself, as much as possible at least.
As my spine extends, I can then bring my arms much closer together, so I retract my shoulder blades, pinching them towards the spine-an important move for everyone, but especially for you.
What everyone then has to do is flex their hips to lift their legs over their torsos. This means the hip flexors have to contract-practice first with bent knees and also try with straight legs-this movement may help you to detect which of your hip flexors is most tight, or most dysfunctional. In scoliosis patients, this muscle is a major defence tool used by physiotherapists to prevent the urvature of their patients worsening-they work on tightening up the hip flexors on the side that is weak, rather than stretching the side that is tight, although that may also play a part-well it often plays a part, at least in how I work. The position of the muscle makes it very important for scoliosis patients (hope you don't mind me using the word 'patient'-force of habit).
Anyway, back to shoulderstand-this new postioning will make it more difficult to lift-but that is true of other inversions-often we manipulate the posture and it makes it more difficult to lift-straight legs into headstand rather than bent knees for example. I think the fact that shoulderstand is so easy to get into, with the back flat on the floor before you go up, is one of the reasons it is so dangerous, for a number of reasons which aren't relevant here.
One thing-before you try any of the above stuff-put your bum (not 'butt,' this is England after all ), legs up the wall, extend the spine and retract your shoulder blades, and the slide, or step, your feet up the wall-sliding is made easier with socks, so lets try it with those on.
It would be very interesting if this relieves your symptoms, make sure you also practice with the neck positioning hints that we discussed earlier on. If you can't rid yourself of the symptoms in this position, you aren't likely to be able to do it in shoulderstand. In many ways, I consider this to be far more therapeutic than shoulderstand for most people, because it involves contracting the hip extensors to form that bridge.
Lastly, it may be that shoulderstand just isn't suitable for you-but I haven't seen your practice-if possible, I'd like a video, so give a bottle of wine to a friend with a camera if you like

Take care
Nick
Nick
Posted 2008-06-19 3:11 AM (#108532 - in reply to #108232)

Hi Karmann,
So is the scoliosis quite mild ? It might be necessary to make the pose unsymmetrical-one elbow placed differently-but that wall thing potentially takes a whole lot of pressure offf the spine.

Nick
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)