YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Good digestion/fiber?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

timeforlife03
Posted 2008-05-20 1:36 PM (#107601)
Subject: Good digestion/fiber?

I'm a breakfast eater and try to get my fiber at the beginning of the day. What breakfast foods do you eat to get your fiber?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2008-05-20 9:01 PM (#107640 - in reply to #107601)
Subject: RE: Good digestion/fiber?

Expert Yogi

There are several high fiber cereals on the market today, organic and non-organic ones. I try to look for high numbers above 8 and on up to 10. I mix mine with fruit and use soy milk. I don't eat this every day though.

I also like Isapgol, which is the Indian name for Metamucil or Phyllium Husk. That is where you'll get alot of fiber. If you take it at night, one hour before bedtime, you get best results, with lots of water. If you go to the Indian store, you can get the real stuff, much, much cheaper than the drug store.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-05-20 10:04 PM (#107643 - in reply to #107601)

There is NOTHING special about taking fibre at the breakfast. Fibre should ideally be taken as a part of normal food. And, that applies during all times. Fibre should not be taken as a special food also, instead a food that is not refined should be eaten. And, in fact (sorry to contradict or disappoint) Fibre when taken specially, must NOT be taken as the first food in the day.

timeforlife03 - 2008-05-20 1:36 PM

I'm a breakfast eater and try to get my fiber at the beginning of the day. What breakfast foods do you eat to get your fiber?
timeforlife03
Posted 2008-05-22 1:11 PM (#107747 - in reply to #107601)

True fiber should be eaten with each meal to get your daily total. I try to eat whole wheat foods, fruits, and veggies.

Hey Cyndi, in the morning I grab a bowl of cereal. The cereal I have is called LiveActive Nut Harvest Crunch. It has 8g of dietary fiber and 4g of soluble fiber per serving.
nucleareggset
Posted 2008-05-22 2:18 PM (#107752 - in reply to #107601)

I care about fiber (and protein and fat) content of my meals since I'm hypoglycemic. One of the things I'll often have is quinoa flakes (I'm gluten intolerant) with flax meal. Yum! (Made with almond or hemp milk (I'm dairy intolerant too), honey, and cinnamon, it's quite tasty.) Of course, you can easily just use whole oatmeal, or even oat bran (makes a great hot cereal), and do the same thing.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-05-22 2:42 PM (#107756 - in reply to #107752)

Expert Yogi

I think the main reason we eat fiber cereal in the mornings, at least for myself, is because the earlier in the day you eat high fiber, your body utilizes it better and you have all day to digest it. For me, high fiber is very hard for my body to digest. I usually don't do the evening drink of metamucil, because it makes me have to get up and pee in the middle of the night and I don't want my sleep interupted. I like to drink it first thing with lots of water or Orange juice.

I love Quinoa. I make this in my rice cooker all the time. You can add apples, nuts, spices, hell, you can even mix it with oatmeal too along with flax seeds, whatever for breakfast dishes. It's just great! Last weekend, my husband bought me a brand new Zojirushi cooker. It's sooo cool and I totally love it. It plays songs too, This food is sooo healthy for you. So many ways to cook food with these cookers. I use it for evening dishes too.
hnia
Posted 2008-05-22 3:23 PM (#107758 - in reply to #107601)

What happened to oatmeal?

We eat it all the time at our house...
Cyndi
Posted 2008-05-22 5:14 PM (#107766 - in reply to #107758)

Expert Yogi

Nothing happened to oatmeal in my house, we just don't eat it every day. Eating too much oatmeal is not healthy because it can produce dampness and mucous if your not careful. Oatmeal is naturally sweet and bitter in flavor. Eating too much of anything is not healthy. I try to eat a balanced diet and a variety. I basically eat foods that go along with my body's needs for the moment, which is constantly changing.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-05-22 5:56 PM (#107770 - in reply to #107752)

Gee Quinoa flakes. I did not know that They exist. Please, I want some. I love quinoa most out of all the grains I have eaten so far. Quinoa my friend, please come in whatever form.

nucleareggset - 2008-05-22 2:18 PM

I care about fiber (and protein and fat) content of my meals since I'm hypoglycemic. One of the things I'll often have is quinoa flakes (I'm gluten intolerant) with flax meal. Yum! (Made with almond or hemp milk (I'm dairy intolerant too), honey, and cinnamon, it's quite tasty.) Of course, you can easily just use whole oatmeal, or even oat bran (makes a great hot cereal), and do the same thing.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-05-22 8:04 PM (#107774 - in reply to #107770)

Expert Yogi

Geez NB,

I thought everybody had Quinoa flakes in their cubboard...especially a Quinoa lover such as yourself. Satyam loves this too. Did you know that the protein in Quinoa is exceptional and is very good for vegetarians such as yourself???
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-05-22 11:16 PM (#107777 - in reply to #107774)

Yes CB: I eat Quinoa Rice at least 3 times a week. But, that is not flakes.

Neel

Cyndi - 2008-05-22 8:04 PM

Geez NB,

I thought everybody had Quinoa flakes in their cubboard...especially a Quinoa lover such as yourself. Satyam loves this too. Did you know that the protein in Quinoa is exceptional and is very good for vegetarians such as yourself???
Orbilia
Posted 2008-05-23 5:17 AM (#107786 - in reply to #107777)

As you should be eating three portions of grains a day, fibre should be part of your everyday diet, making sure you get both soluble and insoluble kinds.

My favourite muesli is made by Dorset Cereals - I like the spelt one best.

http://www.dorsetcereals.co.uk/index.php

I also enjoy porridge or sometimes start with a banana sandwich on whole grain bread.

Fee
Cyndi
Posted 2008-05-23 10:00 AM (#107790 - in reply to #107777)

Expert Yogi

kulkarnn - 2008-05-22 11:16 PM

Yes CB: I eat Quinoa Rice at least 3 times a week. But, that is not flakes.

Yes, I know you do. Whole Foods might carry the flakes NB, did you check there?? Did you ever find a source for the wild red quinoa that I told you about?? Somebody needs to help NB find a good unrefined grain source up North...HELP?!

Did you know that the Incas (the Indians from the South American Andes) referred to Quinoa as the "Mother Grain". Botanically speaking, it is not a "true" grain, but can be used as one. It's loaded with iron, phosphorous, B Vitamins and Vitamin E. As I mentioned earlier, its good for vegetarians, especially recent vegetarians who crave nutrient-concentrated foods.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-05-23 10:29 AM (#107793 - in reply to #107601)

Cyndi, Virginia is up North? That's so funny.

Oh yeah, and don't forget there is lots of fiber in beans.
Chatoyancy
Posted 2008-05-23 11:14 AM (#107795 - in reply to #107601)

I throw milled flax seeds in most of my breakfast meals, whether it's a hot amaranth cereal or a smoothie. I also make flax crackers or roasted chick peas for small snacks throughout the day. (Be sure not to eat too many of either or your digestive system will be rather active all day. ) I usually take psyillium husk capsules right before bedtime.
Chatoyancy
Posted 2008-05-23 11:15 AM (#107796 - in reply to #107601)

I throw milled flax seeds in most of my breakfast meals, whether it's a hot amaranth cereal or a smoothie. I also make flax crackers or roasted chick peas for small snacks throughout the day. (Be sure not to eat too many of either or your digestive system will be rather active all day. ) I usually take psyillium husk capsules right before bedtime.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-05-23 11:53 AM (#107799 - in reply to #107793)

Expert Yogi

bstqltmkr - 2008-05-23 10:29 AM

Cyndi, Virginia is up North? That's so funny.

Yes, of course it is. I don't know why they "think" Virginia is part of the south...especially where NB resides. You know, Viriginia is a huge state...it takes me over 10 hours to get to NB's. Frankly, anything below Roanoke (sp?) should be considered the South and anything above, is definitely North. This is coming from someone who is a deep southerner, from Georgia, Now, West Virginia is another matter altogether...some of my good "Southern" friends are from that region,
timeforlife03
Posted 2008-05-27 2:01 PM (#107907 - in reply to #107601)

I have oatmeal in my pantry but I usually don't feel like cooking it in the morning because I'm usually in a rush. That's why I grab cereal. Fiber in the morning is good for me because its a good filler. I usually don't overeat later in the day.
hnia
Posted 2008-05-28 1:43 PM (#107953 - in reply to #107766)

I have a co-worker that eats hot pockets for lunch everyday. And has for years!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)