YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

any proper way for weight loss
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

jordan122
Posted 2008-05-19 5:07 AM (#107514)
Subject: any proper way for weight loss

Hi everyone, I have been real obsessed with my weight problem. I am 33 years old female and have gained 90lbs which makes the count to 210. I recently took out some of my summer clothes and they don’t fit me anymore!!! . This is a real tragic one for me. How can I not wear the ones I adore...morever the new look is getting me mad (with the comments from my friends). I know quite a few ways to get the slimming work on…….but I don’t really feel that, with the failures of many people on this way. I will make it through. Does anyone know a proven way to reduce the fat?

Please help me…..this thing is killing me!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-05-19 1:17 PM (#107539 - in reply to #107514)
Subject: RE: any proper way for weight

burn more calories than you consume.

Posted 2008-05-23 2:40 AM (#107784 - in reply to #107514)

What sort of help are you asking for?
I'm sure, once identified we all would support you in any way possible (over the internet).

As a yoga teacher my overall reply falls within a yoga context.

No external change will take without a corresponding internal shift. So merely dieting and exercising without actually having such a shift within you may drop pounds but it may also be temporary. And it sounds as if you'd find immense joy in a more permanent slimmer you.

When we put on extra pounds, extra layers of ourselves, coverings, etcetera it is often because we are literally hiding ourselves from the world. There are nuances to this that I will not get into here. But I would advocate a process of introspection to look very carefully at who you are at your essence and why you might want to keep that closed off and away.

Pragmatically speaking one would need a sensible (not radical) meal plan such that they maintained an appropriate caloric intake for their body and activity level. So for example it may be appropriate for you to consume 1800 healthy calories per day. Many will dispute how protein, carbs, and fats should be apportioned. But we have to presume you will also need to increase your activity level so you will need a good bit of protein to support that. Once you drop some weight you will need to add carbs to fuel you but they should be healthy, complex carbs.

Work to absolutely not eat anything processed or in a box or package. Also you may need to reframe what you define as healthy foods. For example all that goes in your body should be healthy fuel. Fat-free cake, while fat-free, is not good fuel. So the junk has to go; soda, chips, refined sugars, excess dairy etcetera.

Consider some resistance training in combination with some more active work (some call it cardio).
You will need to burn slightly more calories than you take in AND you will need the understanding that fat comes off in layers or sheaths and some places on you will be tough or the last to go. That is different for each person.

Hopefully this helps you. If you need more, we're here.
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2008-05-23 1:10 PM (#107801 - in reply to #107514)

For me, the hardest part on this was realizing that diets don't work. People who go on an abnormal routine to lose weight almost invariably gain all of it back and more.

I've lost 30 lbs in 2.5 months. The biggest change for me has been starting yoga. For reasons I can't explain, I now am much more likely to observe and pay attention to a signal that I'm full. Before, I would continue to eat until the food was gone.

Other than that, I have very few rules that I'm following about eating. The only firm one is that I no longer drink diet soda. Water is much better, and I think its made a difference. And as an aspirational goal, I try to follow the following rule from the book Younger Next Year: DONT EAT CRAP. This is pretty simple, and we all basically already know what crap is. Purmayaga covered it in much more detail I still probably eat more fried potatoes, and more chocolate than I should. But I think the key here is to be a bit more mindful about the choices you make, not necessarily to achieve perfection.

Finally, the main thing I think is to observe practices that you can maintain for the rest of your life. Temporary measures will almost inevitable be just that.

Duffy

Posted 2008-05-23 5:17 PM (#107807 - in reply to #107801)

I have a sneaking suspicion that diet soda makes people overweight. Just about everyone who drinks diet soda is overweight. Most obese people drink a lot of diet soda. I think that they may be obese because of the diet sodas not drinking diet sodas because they are obese. Most people who maintain a healthy weight level drink mainly plain water, not any kind of drink, diet or otherwise.

Edited by jimg 2008-05-23 5:29 PM
tourist
Posted 2008-05-23 6:54 PM (#107812 - in reply to #107807)

Expert Yogi

jim, while I have a sneaking suspicion you are right, it is a bit like saying hats cause baldness because most bald men wear hats a lot. Actually, I think there is some research to back you up. But what cracks me up is seeing people order the super double triple burger, mondo fries with gravy, cheese and the kitchen sink plus a diet drink! Hello????

Posted 2008-05-23 7:22 PM (#107813 - in reply to #107812)

When I was in college (late 60's early 70's) I worked as a waiter. Many people would have a big appitizer, a huge fattening meal, an even bigger dessert and then order sweet and low with their coffee!

And yes, I understand how the logic about diet drinks looks potentially flawed, but I think that it may be nonetheless true.

Edited by jimg 2008-05-23 7:25 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2008-05-23 8:12 PM (#107817 - in reply to #107813)

Expert Yogi

I think its those Chinese Buffets ladeled with MSG that is making everyone so overweight. Every time I go by the one in our town (believe me, everyone goes there now days, not to mention my step-father sold his land to the Chinese just so they could build it, and I still aint eatin' there, never-ever!!) all the people I see go in are very gigantic. They need 2 doors just so they can enter.

Hey Jim,

There was a study recently about diet sodas making people obese. It was something in the way the fake sugar was screwing with the body's metabolism. It's true, I wish I could find the article, it was very good.

Edited by Cyndi 2008-05-23 8:14 PM
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2008-05-23 11:25 PM (#107819 - in reply to #107514)

Another good eating tip is that if you go into a restaurant and everyone there is obese, maybe you should think about eating elsewhere.

For the most part I don't go to buffets anymore. I have a deeply competitive streak, and at a buffet I feel the need to win. Beating the buffet just isn't that good for you.

Duffy
Ginkgo
Posted 2009-03-11 9:11 PM (#114478 - in reply to #107514)
Subject: RE: any proper way for weight loss

There is a lot of bad information out there. It has made America the fattest society ever. But it makes food companies and diet companies rich. Learn why salt, black coffee, salt, lean meat, salt, non-fat yogurt and salt are so fattening. SALT HAS NO CALORIES. There are lots of things that are good for Losing Weight. Nourish your body thin, instead of starving it fat. Never cut carbs, fats and calories. Just eat the good carbs and fats instead of the bad ones.

Diet sodas do make people fatter according to research. That is why you should
eat foods made by nature, not man-made food designed to make you fat and addicted to food. Which has more calories: a plain potato or one with a healthy fat like olive oil? The latter. Which is more fattening? The former. How can this be? The fat slows down the calories going into the blood (see glycemic load and glycemic index) making it less fattening. It is not about how many calories but how fast they enter the blood.
Charan Saini
Posted 2009-03-15 8:40 PM (#114575 - in reply to #107514)
Subject: Re: any proper way for weight loss

Hi,
I don't believe in dieting. What has really worked for me in the last 10 years to lose weight AND keep it off, is detoxing every quarter, this sharpens my metabolism and makes me more conscious of what I eat. With regular detox I also enjoy gym, do aqua aerobics and regular yoga. ITs a beautiful balance ....
Karolina
Posted 2009-11-02 9:04 AM (#119333 - in reply to #107514)

jordan122 - 2008-05-19 5:07 AM

Hi everyone, I have been real obsessed with my weight problem. I am 33 years old female and have gained 90lbs which makes the count to 210. I recently took out some of my summer clothes and they don’t fit me anymore!!! . This is a real tragic one for me. How can I not wear the ones I adore...morever the new look is getting me mad (with the comments from my friends). I know quite a few ways to get the slimming work on…….but I don’t really feel that, with the failures of many people on this way. I will make it through. Does anyone know a proven way to reduce the fat?

Please help me…..this thing is killing me!!!

Hi! I've faced similar problem this summer. Hope that after labour I will be able to lose all my excessive weight and wear my cloths again. I think the best way to lose fat is power training. Maybe power yoga?
essentialoils
Posted 2010-03-08 10:10 PM (#121805 - in reply to #107514)

Weight loss is simple, burn more calories then you consume. If you can fully understand that then you are on your way to losing weight. There are 6 simple steps. Here they are:

1) Count how many calories you eat in a normal day. That's right, wake up, and eat like you would normally eat and count the calories in everything you eat and everything you drink and keep track of it on a piece of paper or on the computer some where. You might be thinking to yourself, "yeah right, I'm not gonna sit around counting calories all day." Well, if you're thinking that, then you're obviously not dedicated enough to losing weight. If this is the case, then feel free to go waste your money on the newest useless weight loss pill. But, if you are dedicated enough to take 10 minutes out of your day and count the calories, then keep on reading.

2) At the end of that day, add up the number of calories you ate/drank. Be as exact as possible. Once you add it all up, you now have the total number of calories you consume daily. Also, weigh yourself.

3) Starting the day after you counted calories, eat 500 calories LESS then you normally do. So, lets pretend that the day you counted calories you counted 2000. For the rest of the week, you would eat 1500 calories a day. Understand? All you have to do is subtract 500 from the total number of calories you consume in a normal day, and eat this new number of calories every day for the next 7 days.

4) Instead of eating 3 big meals a day (breakfast, lunch and dinner), or eating all day all the time, spread those calories out over 5 smaller meals. Eat one meal every 2 and a half to 3 hours. Doing this will speed up your metabolism.

5) Cardio. Cardio is an important part of weight loss. If you're serious about losing weight, but don't want to do the cardio workouts, then you are requiring your diet to do all of the work. Jog, walk, swim, jump rope, ride a bike, take an aerobics class, whatever... cardio + proper diet = better than just doing one of the two. All it takes is 30 minutes a day, 3 - 5 days a week. I say 3-5 days a week because I don't know if you have 5 pounds to lose, or if you have 50 pounds to lose. So, depending on how much your looking to lose, figure it out. 3 times a week is good starting point though. (For information on the most effective time of the day to do your cardio workout, read doing cardio for maximum weight loss)

6) At the end of that week, weigh yourself. You'll notice a difference just after one week! Now, don't expect to see a 20 pound difference. Losing anymore then 1 or 2 pounds a week is unhealthly. So look for a 1 or 2 pound weight loss at the end of the week. Don't sound like much? You can lose 5-8 pounds a month! That's around 75lbs a year! So if you have A LOT of weight to lose, you can lose it. If have just a few pounds to lose, you can lose it.
thflower
Posted 2011-12-15 1:20 PM (#209610 - in reply to #107514)

New User

Diet is the key. One day, you can often eat a lot of vegetables, some fruit, a large number of proteins, and complex carbohydrates. Inhale your food is great, because you can always eat not waste time.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)