YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

determination VS inspiration
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-05-15 12:19 PM (#107367)
Subject: determination VS inspiration

I've been working on the new quilt on pure determination. I wasn't feeling very inspired by it. It only had ten different kinds of fabric in it, so I felt it looked kind of boring. Nice, but boring. So, I've been wracking my brain to think of a fabric to use for the binding. I even went shopping but nothing appealed to me.

Then I remembered something I picked up on a previous shopping spree. It was a tie dye pattern in a half circle, intended to be made into a circle skirt. I knew at the time it wasn't going to get used as a circle skirt, but I liked the colors, and it was all cotton, so I bought some. I bought enough to make two skirts actually, I didn't know why I wanted that much.

All of the sudden I realized I could cut four identical bias strips out of that fabric. That was my quilt binding. It wasn't quite long enough, so I had to add to it. It ended up being a whole added design element I hadn't planned on. Not to mention the quilt now has twelve different fabrics! Yay! The absolute minimum for an interesting quilt.

Now to just get back at it and finish.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-05-15 4:36 PM (#107379 - in reply to #107367)
Subject: RE: determination VS inspiration

Dear BQM: Your Quilt is Inspiration for me. And, I am determined to take it.
tourist
Posted 2008-05-15 7:13 PM (#107391 - in reply to #107367)
Subject: RE: determination VS inspirati

Expert Yogi

Thanks for letting us in on that process, Shelly! It is amazing how things come together sometimes. You are using "determination" as the working title of the quilt, essentially? I can see how that might not be flashy. Determination is often about just getting it done, whatever "it" may be. Yet sometimes the determination to get things done and the persistent and constant working towards the goal brings a focus and maybe even puts you into that "flow" state where inspiration thrives.

Of course, we do want photos, too.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-05-15 7:50 PM (#107392 - in reply to #107367)

Expert Yogi

Hey Shelly,

Your story sounds familiar to mine. I was in my candle making studio today spouting off things such as..."if this becomes stressful, I don't want to do it!!" That's my determination,
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-05-16 7:55 AM (#107410 - in reply to #107367)

The quilt is a fund raiser for my daughter's volleyball team. They're travelling this summer. I thought maybe I could title it "Thank you for being an athletic supporter" but I've been rethinking that.

It's way more fun to work from an inspired place than from pure determination.

Cyndi, I could get plenty of inspiration from your candles, the burning of them that is. I imagine making them is hard work.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-05-16 6:02 PM (#107422 - in reply to #107410)

Expert Yogi

bstqltmkr - 2008-05-16 7:55 AM

It's way more fun to work from an inspired place than from pure determination.

EXACTLY!!!

Cyndi, I could get plenty of inspiration from your candles, the burning of them that is. I imagine making them is hard work.

Oh yea, I burn beeswax candles all day long. Making them is actually alot of fun. You'd be real surprised. It's very very yogic. Sometimes I feel slightly guilty for having so much fun.....especially when I'm actually making some $$ with it, LOL!! That's my life. I already did my duty at a boring desk executive assistant job. On some of my not so good days, I dreamed of a life like this. It was really cool the way it all unfolded and manifested itself...although, it took LOTS of determination. The inspiration part was easy,
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-05-20 10:37 AM (#107593 - in reply to #107367)

Okay, Tourist requested photos. Usually I take them on the clothesline on a nice day, but we've had rain, rain, and more rain forecasted. I'm not complaining about the rain, I'm just explaining that I couldn't wait any longer, so I spread the quilt on my living room couch, and tried to get a good picture. Now I just hope I can get them posted here, I'm no computer genious that's for sure.

border details

Wow, it worked, I'm so happy! Shelly

fundraiser quilt
Cyndi
Posted 2008-05-20 6:34 PM (#107630 - in reply to #107593)

Expert Yogi

That's very pretty Shelly. How much do you charge for these??
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-05-20 10:06 PM (#107644 - in reply to #107367)

This is what Shelly blessed me with.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments BSTQLTMKR2.jp2 (25KB - 44 downloads)
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-05-21 8:52 AM (#107655 - in reply to #107367)

I've never made the same quilt twice, and haven't charged the same ever. It's a weird process of hammering out details of what the person wants, what size, etc. I can say that the price ends up being pretty close to what the Amish would charge on their quilts. I think they are faster though. This particular quilt will be silent auctioned on the 30th of this month, so someone will either get a very good deal or we'll make some good money off it for the volleyball team to travel this summer. Either way, I did what I set out to, which is support my daughter's team.
tourist
Posted 2008-05-21 10:08 AM (#107658 - in reply to #107655)

Expert Yogi

I love that it has "fire" but also that it is strong and has depth. Which colour was the skirt fabric?

I feel like I will be compelled to make a quilt some day as my pile of scraps is growing and I hate to throw fabric out. It would be a good practice for me to face my self-perception of not being accurate enough and patient enough in my sewing.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-05-22 8:58 AM (#107732 - in reply to #107367)

Thanks Tourist, I usually try to cram as many fabrics into a quilt as possible, but I wanted this one to appeal to as many people as possible and to feature the dark yellow fabric that is repeated in the main star and used in the sashing. I really had to practice editing, which I'm appreciating a bit more now. It's still not my favorite because when I look at it, my eyes figure out the pattern very quickly so I get bored. My daughter calls my usual quilting style controlled chaos which I love.

How silly that the part of the quilt that got this whole thread going wasn't shown in the photo. Well, the binding is really only a tiny part of the quilt. It takes a four and a half inch strip to make a binding that shows up as one inch on each side. The fabric is black to gray to rust to off white.

My mother used to always tell me "You never finish anything you start", and I never really did either, until I moved out of her house. The trick to making a quilt is to make friends with your project because you'll be working on it for a while. The one I use myself has no matching points, and is only tied, so it only took me about a week. There are so many ways to make quilts so make yours any way that makes you happy. You can even piece the top, and find someone else to quilt it for you. There is a shop close by that machine quilts tops for people. I enjoy the hand quilting, and love the look of it, so I do it.

Please lets not talk about the scrap pile, mine is piles, I never knew I could be such a hoarder.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)