YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Where Pilates Certification?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

thinmint123
Posted 2008-05-13 9:44 PM (#107321)
Subject: Where Pilates Certification?

I have been searching far and wide for a great program -- that still honors the classical or authentic Pilates Method. I am in California and there are all sorts of hybrids here! Wondering if anybody has any recommendations.
Core Pilates NYC -- www.corepilatesnyc.com based out of New York City I think has come recommended. I think they have programs in California and elsewhere. Would love to here what you all have to say and where I can begin to look besides that one. They are expensive afterall
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2008-05-14 9:48 PM (#107343 - in reply to #107321)
Subject: RE: Where Pilates Certification?

A lot of people who prefer the classical method like The Physicalmind Institute best, but I don't know if they are anywhere outside NYC.

Personally my favorite classes have been from Stott-trained instructors so that's where I'm doing my certification, but they do more modifications and are a bit "creative" with the classical method. Physical therapists love it, but Pilates purists sometimes look down on it. But, it is good for me.

Bob Liekens is working with Power Pilates, and they have segmented trainings around the country so that one may interest you as well.
thinmint123
Posted 2008-05-16 8:47 PM (#107424 - in reply to #107343)
Subject: RE: Where Pilates Certificatio

Thanks! I heard about Power and was interested because they have programs everywhere it seems. But they were not calling me back and well, didn't leave a good impression. It's so much money to get trained these days that I don't want to get trapped in a program where it's cut throat or factory-like. I thought I would do Romana's program but got scared off from so many disgruntled apprentices. Seems they don't even have a manual. And she is retired I hear anyway. I will give Power another go.. but
I've narrowed it down to Core Pilates NYC (in Chicago -- closer to me), or Physical Mind. Also a possibility is Peak Pilates.

Thanks for your input.
jeansyoga
Posted 2008-05-16 9:18 PM (#107425 - in reply to #107321)

LOL, I didn't want to say anything but Power Pilates left a bad taste in my mouth too from their bad customer service! I had signed up for one of their trainings in Michigan, and they wasted no time in cashing my check - then the training got cancelled and I had to go hunt down my money and got treated like a joke. In retrospect I probably made a bigger deal of it than I needed to, and deep in my heart I really wanted to do the Stott training (it was more expensive at the time) so it just repositioned me on the right track. They do have some respected names behind them but when I lay out that kind of cash I like to have some decent customer service. Not to mention, my career is on the line here and I deserve to be taken seriously!

I know you're not interested in Stott, but I just wanted to give them a shout-out for VERY professional behavior and top-notch training. I'm a happy camper now!

On this board we have a lot of people asking about what yoga training they should take, and most of us say that the method that really speaks to you is THE ONE. A lot of us do the mental dance of "Well this one is more affordable/convenient, but I REALLY wish I could take that one." It sounds like you're trying to decide between the best of the best, so you really can't go wrong no matter what!

I'm very excited for you! You're going to learn a LOT, it'll be fun and challenging. Have a great time, whichever way you decice!
throwtoy
Posted 2008-06-01 3:20 PM (#108079 - in reply to #107321)

i go through Power PIlates and have never had a problem. I've done my beginner and int mat certs and in fall doing my system one training in chicago. Love them
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-06-01 11:30 PM (#108083 - in reply to #107321)

I have limited knowledge in this field. However, I can definitely recommend the following:

- go to www.studiopilates.com

- try to get to Carla Vercoe whom I know for several years.

- and ask your question.

thinmint123 - 2008-05-13 9:44 PM

I have been searching far and wide for a great program -- that still honors the classical or authentic Pilates Method. I am in California and there are all sorts of hybrids here! Wondering if anybody has any recommendations.
Core Pilates NYC -- www.corepilatesnyc.com based out of New York City I think has come recommended. I think they have programs in California and elsewhere. Would love to here what you all have to say and where I can begin to look besides that one. They are expensive afterall
JackieCat
Posted 2008-06-13 8:46 PM (#108397 - in reply to #107321)

Extreme Veteran

I too have gone through Stott's training (testing out in August) and am very pleased with their training and professioalism. A lot has to do with my IT in NYC, who is fantastic.

One of my friends is currently going through Core Pilates NYC's program and likes it- she just tested out (and passed!) at the 100 hour level.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)