YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

outdoor meditation
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

simex
Posted 2008-05-06 1:11 PM (#107085)
Subject: outdoor meditation

Here's a potentially stupid question...

For all of my meditating career I have done it indoors. However, I recently moved to a place where it's easy for me to walk outside and find a secluded place in the woods. I've never been big on paraphernalia, I just sit on the floor on a pillow, but I don't think my pillow would fare too well in the dirt.

Is there such a thing as an outdoor meditation pillow? Maybe there's something I could put together? Any ideas / advice / wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-05-06 1:32 PM (#107089 - in reply to #107085)
Subject: RE: outdoor meditation

use the same pillow that you use for indoor. there is no outdoor or indoor as far as pillow is concerned.
nucleareggset
Posted 2008-05-06 4:46 PM (#107096 - in reply to #107085)

heh, I've been backpacking enough to know that the pillow *will* know the difference between indoors and outdoors. ;) well, it's lifespan certainly will. I would probably just use a blanket under it, or a thermarest instead, or consider just sitting on a blanket directly. (a heavy duty blanket/rug would work fine, albeit be heavy.)

Posted 2008-05-06 6:04 PM (#107102 - in reply to #107085)

Maybe just take along a little something to put your cushion on, a scrap of plastic tarp or heavy bag, or any kind of outdoor fabric like nylon. If you wanted to get fancy, I've seen picnic blankets that are fabric on one side and waterproof fabric on the other. (I don't think a regular folded blanket is going to fare any better in the dirt than a pillow.)

If you like to make stuff, you could always make a cushion of a more outdoorsy fabric, maybe on one side if it's not nice to sit on. Or make a small blanket like that.

My favorite outdoor place to meditate is a big smooth rock warm from the sun with a comfortable shape. Usually find these along rivers.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-05-07 7:58 AM (#107117 - in reply to #107085)

I remember when I was young in the girl scouts, we made mats to sit on outside. We made them from newspapers. That's all I can remember. You could probably make something like that with a little plastic, some newspapers, and some duct tape. Wow, thanks for the memories.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-05-07 8:50 AM (#107118 - in reply to #107117)

Expert Yogi

I try to find a flat rock,
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)