YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

who have you studied with?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Bay Guy
Posted 2009-01-01 10:40 PM (#112655 - in reply to #107154)
Subject: RE: who have you studied with?

Expert Yogi

dhanurasana - 2008-05-07 11:27 PM

i studied a little with Manouso Manos.
he hit me in the butt when i was in headstand.

But he's not an Ashtanga teacher. Hitting seems to me very inappropriate.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2009-01-01 10:41 PM (#112656 - in reply to #107137)

Expert Yogi

dhanurasana - 2008-05-07 3:52 PM

i studied with Pat Anjali.

Arf! Arf!
Bay Guy
Posted 2009-01-01 10:46 PM (#112657 - in reply to #107145)

Expert Yogi

Phil - 2008-05-07 5:24 PM

Hi hnia.
Right I've been studying yoga for 16 years in that time I've studied with a lot of teachers I'll give you the list:
Sri K. Pattabhi Jois
Shrath (His grandson)
Rolf Naujokat (One of Pattabhis most experienced teacher who he uses on most of his demos, he's the face on the front of Pattabhis book of the biography of his world tours)
David Williams (The first westerner to learn the series and bring it to the west)
Nancy Gilgoff (First western woman to learn the series the ex wife of David Williams)
Danny Paradise (Yogi to the stars)
John Scott
David Swenson
Richard Freeman
Leela Miller (Director of Yoga at Tri Yoga Primrose Hill)

My point being I made that statement with a lot of experience behind it.

That's quite a list!

I did a workshop with David Williams, and I really liked him. I didn't learn a whole lot of edgy asanas, but I did learn a lot of common sense for separating a good practice from associated dogma.

I also did a workshop with Richard Freeman, which I thought was a total waste of time. He just went on and on 2.5 days....we didn't even complete primary series once! He didn't teach...much of anything.

There's some great Ashtanga in Houston, btw. And I'll have to check out the London venues mentioned here the next time I'm over there.
... bg
tourist
Posted 2009-01-02 11:49 AM (#112677 - in reply to #107076)

Expert Yogi

Happy seasonal greetings, Bay Guy! Good to see you.

Manuso is actually VERY interesting. He seems to teach in a bit of a shock therapy style - loud, outrageous comments and the occasional cuss to keep the students awake. I enjoyed the workshop I did with him except when the fire alarm went and we had to stand outside in the cold for 10 minutes. Not his fault, as far as I know.

People get their knickers waaaay too twisted up about Iyengar teachers "hitting." I don't know about BKS in the old days, but I have never, ever been hurt, physically or emotionally, by being "hit."
Bay Guy
Posted 2009-01-02 3:09 PM (#112680 - in reply to #112677)

Expert Yogi

Hi Tourist,

Well, I was hit by a visiting Iyengar teacher once, and I very nearly walked out -- fortunately, a friend responded quickly and diffused things.

Hitting students, or berating them verbally, is not consistent with ahimsa. I wish that the community would quit making excuses for this conduct -- dismissing it all as love pats or whatever -- this conduct is wrong. In some cases, I think it has to do with a Brahmin's attitude toward "Westerners".

I've never been hit by an Asthanga teacher, or a Bikram teacher, or a Kripalu teacher, or a power yoga teacher, or a Kundalini teacher... not even by a gym coach .... this is an issue in the Iyengar community alone.

... bg

Bay Guy
Posted 2009-01-02 3:10 PM (#112681 - in reply to #112677)

Expert Yogi

PS: Happy New Year to you as well, Tourist!

Posted 2009-01-02 3:31 PM (#112682 - in reply to #107076)
Subject: Re: who have you studied with?

I find the stories of people getting hit in class incomprehensible. I would be so out of there.
tourist
Posted 2009-01-03 11:53 AM (#112706 - in reply to #112682)

Expert Yogi

aystam - I think the thing with this is that so much depends upon the individuals, the circumstance and the dynamic between the teacher and student. I certainly do not defend abusive behaviour in any way. And, as I said, I can't talk about Iyengar in the old days (or his thousands of teachers nowadays) but can only speak from my own experience.

I have see Geeta "hit" a student in order to teach him how to lift and open his chest, encouraging him loudly all the time in front of 300 or so people. I did not get the sense that anyone in the room felt it was abusive and the student was smiling. In fact, he said "this is harder than heli-skiing!" and she replied, laughing, "who told you yoga was supposed to be easy?"

OTOH, at the same conference, she had one of my teachers demo-ing urdhva hastasana for a really long time (I swear it was 10 min!). I was inwardly cringing, as I was sure it must have been painful to do the pose that long and other people commented that they thought it was abusive. The teacher said that she had been concentrating so intensely on Geeta's instructions that she had no idea how long she had her arms up. So I learned not to put my emotions onto someone else.

I don't know if I have confessed this before, but I apparently have "hit" at least one student. I was trying to get the class to open the upper quadrant of the chest, right under the collar bone, near the arm pit. (Think Maggie Gyllenhaal - a championship sloucher if ever their was one! They did an amazing job in the Dark Knight of disguising her horrifying posture...) I was explaining it again and one student spoke up and said "right here - I always remember because you came and thumped me there once." I have no memory of it and I often have students do this on themselves. Apparently she had no concerns about it either, as it was not intended as and was not taken as abusive. It was not punitive, but simply a method of waking up a dull, lifeless area of the body.

I can imagine that if a student is used to a practice with no physical adjustments, it might be pretty shocking to have the teacher come up and thump his/her chest and all of us who teach know there are individuals who you just can't touch in anyway. They usually send off a pretty strong vibe. And we do have to be VERY clear on what we are doing and be sure our students know. I feel REALLY awful about a very small adjustment I made to a long time student the other day. It was a restorative class and she was already in savasana. I was sure she had seen and heard me approaching, so I didn't say anything before I made the adjustment. She actually hadn't seen me coming and jumped a mile when I touched her. I felt so bad!

Anyway, I am a busy girl today and have to get going. I am sure this conversation will continue!

Posted 2009-01-03 1:08 PM (#112707 - in reply to #112706)

I think that violence towards and humiliation of students by a teacher is unacceptable in any form. I think that a yoga teacher must model respect for others and acceptance. Many yoga teachers, including many famous ones (just like many people of all types with a little power over others) are so full of themselves that they become petty tyrants.

All that being said, I think that violence and humiliation are in the eye of the beholder.

Some yoga students so crave attention from the "master" that they relish any attention, no matter how negative. If you are following a "guru" or "master", you may want to take an honest, sober look at that relationship. Most of these relationships are very sick for both people and lead to dependence and exploitation as well as violence and humiliation.

If you would allow your yoga teacher to hit you and not a stranger on the street, you probably need to do some serious self study about it.

Edited by jimg 2009-01-03 1:10 PM
tourist
Posted 2009-01-04 10:53 AM (#112714 - in reply to #112707)

Expert Yogi

Yes, it is very much in the eye of the beholder. I am black and blue from intense body work I received yesterday. It caused me immense pain and most people would not allow anyone to inflict that much pain on them (and pay for it!) but to me and to the practitioner, the end justifies the means.

Posted 2009-01-04 12:23 PM (#112715 - in reply to #107076)

Glenda, I'd be happy to slap ya around for free when you come visit. You know I'm just a joshin ya.
tourist
Posted 2009-01-04 6:58 PM (#112718 - in reply to #112715)

Expert Yogi

Ha! I was expecting that response from Nick!
yogastudent
Posted 2009-01-05 1:20 AM (#112722 - in reply to #107076)

When I was new to yoga, one day my teacher asked to do standing lateral bend, and he called for straighten arms, lengthen spine, firm abdomen and neutral pelvic. I was trying to bend as far as I can without paying attention to his words, I did not suck in my belly. He came by and unexpectedly “punched” my belly with his fist, it was heavy enough to leave a lasting impression, as his fist had stopped and turned for a second or two at the spot I should have firmed abdomen muscles to. Did I get upset or angry? Perhaps for a day, but I thank him for the rest of my life for allowing my body to register the message that I should not overstretch without giving proper focus to alignment. He did give a blow to my ego though, who badly deserves it. I would call that a skillful and loving adjustment, it protects me from going into dangerous territory, and yes, definitely non-violence. He remains my most loved and respected yoga teacher. Namaste
Nick
Posted 2009-01-05 3:18 AM (#112725 - in reply to #112718)

tourist - 2009-01-04 10:58 PM

Ha! I was expecting that response from Nick!

Hi Glenda,
I'm afraid that you would have to pay for that kind of attention, like you always do . The pain's much satisfying if my clients pay for it

Nick
hnia
Posted 2009-01-05 12:59 PM (#112737 - in reply to #107076)

I just wanted to add that both Bikram and Jois have had some issues about abusive.

Bikram yelling and being very abusive and Jois has been said to give women unnecessary adjustments. It's not just iyengar....that's all...

Posted 2009-01-05 1:07 PM (#112738 - in reply to #112722)

yogastudent - 2009-01-04 10:20 PM

When I was new to yoga, one day my teacher asked to do standing lateral bend, and he called for straighten arms, lengthen spine, firm abdomen and neutral pelvic. I was trying to bend as far as I can without paying attention to his words, I did not suck in my belly. He came by and unexpectedly “punched” my belly with his fist, it was heavy enough to leave a lasting impression, as his fist had stopped and turned for a second or two at the spot I should have firmed abdomen muscles to. Did I get upset or angry? Perhaps for a day, but I thank him for the rest of my life for allowing my body to register the message that I should not overstretch without giving proper focus to alignment. He did give a blow to my ego though, who badly deserves it. I would call that a skillful and loving adjustment, it protects me from going into dangerous territory, and yes, definitely non-violence. He remains my most loved and respected yoga teacher. Namaste

Do you consider it OK for a math teacher to punch you if you get the wrong answer? Would you later rationalize that punch as a loving non-violent teaching aid? Do you think it is good for parents to hit their children? Do you think that it is good for school teachers to hit their students at their discretion?

Remember that victims often rationalize being victimized by associating with the victimizer (strength/force) instead of with being a victim (submission/lack of control). A common example of this is alter boys who were molested by priests. Many of them, rather than seeing themself as a victim, become molesting priests themselves.

Using Tourists's example of body work, yes, you must endure pain at the massuse, the dentist or the doctor to get the benefits of some treatments. Rather than a "hands on" approach, they cannot use words to do the treatment. In teaching yoga, you can use words, example and many other teaching devices. In yoga, the pain is not a unfortunate byproduct of the needed act, it is the act itself and it is both arrogant and violent.

Good teachers teach by example, not by physical violence or humiliation. Good teachers motivate their students to improve. Bad teachers bully and force their students.

I think that it is about time that modern yogis keep and develop the useful teachings from the past, but divorce themselves from the arrogant, authoritarian teaching styles that have no place in the modern world.
Nick
Posted 2009-01-05 1:16 PM (#112739 - in reply to #112737)

hnia - 2009-01-05 4:59 PM

I just wanted to add that both Bikram and Jois have had some issues about abusive.

Bikram yelling and being very abusive and Jois has been said to give women unnecessary adjustments. It's not just iyengar....that's all...

Good point-give people power and the rule seems to be they will abuse it. Yoga is not free of this but people pretend it is. I remember being shocked at the level of sexual abuse that seemed endemic in yoga when I started about 20 years ago. In astanga yoga, it seems to be accepted-people are so desperate to be considered close to the guru, that they forgo their rights and those of their fellow students in order to conform. I once had a victim of abuse by one teacher in India say how she was going back next year, but that it was horrible because she could tell from the teacher's mood that he would grope her in that class. Absolutely astonishing. The male students who know the abuse is going on turn a blind eye. Which makes them as disgusting as the teacher. Sorry for the rant

Nick
tourist
Posted 2009-01-05 7:00 PM (#112750 - in reply to #112739)

Expert Yogi

We do have to remember that the most senior teachers from India come from an entirely different background. As Nick says, these are leftovers from days gone by, and the practices of teachers of all sorts have significantly changed. Corporal punishment in elementary schools was still in existence in the 1960's, which was not all that long ago, really. FWIW, I see a kinder, gentler, yet still disciplined version of the traditional yoga styles emerging nowadays. The sexual abuse, still continues, however. And at the "highest" levels, I have been told.
Bay Guy
Posted 2009-01-05 10:27 PM (#112751 - in reply to #112750)

Expert Yogi

Hi Glenda,

It sounds almost as if you are coming to agree with my initial statement - yoga teachers should not hit students (I think that's what I said).

There've been a lot of excellent comments above, from both POVs. I won't reiterate them...but the abuse doesn't need to be sexual -- it can be purely corporal or psychological ... and being hit by an authority upon whom you depend for guidance [in yoga, in this case] is in the same vein. I don't think we should excuse it on the basis of background - we can understand why that person is that way, of course -- but still I don't think we should condone it.

Sigh... much too far past my bedtime for these profundities...

.. bg

yogastudent
Posted 2009-01-05 11:51 PM (#112754 - in reply to #112751)

Physical / mental / sex abuse happens everywhere, not limited to the yoga world. When an adult teacher abuses a teenage student, the student has little power to defend, serious fear and hurt was injected which give rise to problem. Ego is good for self-protection against these dangers.

Questioning is a good learning process. Students of yoga are taught to question every move and find solutions and strength within. If one searches one’s hearts (less the ego), the truth will appear if a particular approach by teacher is abusive or skillful. And if we do not like the disciplinary approach, discuss and consult with the teacher and resolve at that level, (e.g. teacher stops adjustment in future, student leaves the teacher, or take teacher to court for wrong doing), and when it is brought up in the forum we can learn and have more insights. Rather how it has been brought up in the forum is making some jumping to conclusion that it is an abusive act.

Namaste

Edited by yogastudent 2009-01-05 11:53 PM

Posted 2009-01-06 12:18 PM (#112766 - in reply to #112754)

yogastudent - 2009-01-05 8:51 PM

<

Questioning is a good learning process. Students of yoga are taught to question every move and find solutions and strength within. /p>

Unfortunately, the classical guru/disciple or teacher/student relationship teaches that you should always question yourself and never question your guru/teacher or their teachings or example. It is this attitude that encourages abuse, whether sexual, physical or psychological.

The problem is in seeing people like Bikram, Iyengar, Jois etc as superior beings, rather than regular men who have learned something and have the ability to teach it to others. Even though Bikram, Iyengar, Jois, Desikachar and others may have serious character flaws, they are not gods and we are not marrying them. People like Beethoven and Wagner were horrible people, but they wrote sublime music. The bottom line is whether their teachings are working for you. If you accept or rationalize any type of abuse, you need to do some serious self questioning.

tourist
Posted 2009-01-06 10:18 PM (#112775 - in reply to #107076)

Expert Yogi

A good deal of this conversation depends largely on how you define abuse. As I said, I have never seen a student "abused" while others saw it differently. I know that my teachers, back in the 70's, were shocked to be hit in class. But they made a decision (you may call it rationalization) to learn what they could from the experience and move on. It probably helped that some of them came from very "old school" backgrounds and BKS likely reminded them of their old English school masters. "If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!"

Here's a comment from our dear old friend, Yoga Dancer, who maintains the yoga asana index online at: http://www.yogadancer.com/Asana.shtml

***I, too, live to be adjusted. My hand is in the air so fast the teacher's head spins when s/he needs someone for a demo. The pragmatic, genderless treatment of the human body is something that I really respect. After all, we all have bodies, right? They're just different.

After I was molested (several times) by a major yoga figure, it was the male teachers in my Ashtanga studio and their very general approach removed that discomfort and fear that figure had engendered. I'll be ever grateful to them for that.

I had a teacher that poked with a long fingernail. Finally, being who I am, I grabbed her finger and said, "Suzie-Q? You can bend me, twist me, step on me, stand on me, pull me, and tie me up any way you see fit. But if you poke me again, I'm gonna break that finger off. Are my sentiments about adjustments clear?" Evidently they are.

Touching happens. In life, in yoga, with humans. It's the intention that counts.***
yogastudent
Posted 2009-01-07 12:58 AM (#112777 - in reply to #112766)

jimg - 2009-01-07 1:18 AM
If you accept or rationalize any type of abuse, you need to do some serious self questioning.

I have already said so, if one searches one’s heart less the ego, the truth will appear if a particular approach by teacher is abusive or skillful.

What you said is abusive, you are planting unnecessary fear into the reader's mind. When one is in yoga practice, negative thoughts has no place. If you do, kindly do some serious questioning.

If a real abuse happens, handle it at that level.

We all need the power of discrimination.

Namaste

Edited by yogastudent 2009-01-07 1:00 AM
Nick
Posted 2009-01-07 2:21 AM (#112780 - in reply to #112775)

Hi Glenda,
Can I just quote a part of your post from yoga dancer?
"After I was molested (several times) by a major yoga figure."

In my post where I described a student who went back year after year to be abused by her teacher in India, I expressed shock that that she actually went back for more. I'm shocked once more. This abuse in yoga is iwerd. I know women who have been abused by adults when they were children. They didn't have choice. The physical and sexual abuse that we have described on these pages from teachers of yoga appears to be a kind of yoga accessory-mat, blocks, belt and abuse-the complete student. This has got to change, surely?

Nick
tourist
Posted 2009-01-07 9:52 AM (#112784 - in reply to #107076)

Expert Yogi

t absolutely has to change! No question about that. How that change will come about is another story.

Yoga Dancer, as you can tell from the 2nd part of her quote, is no pushover. There is a LOT more to the story, but in the end she made a loud, public protest that he should leave her alone and he did. Just thought I should note that info for potential lurkers.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)