YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Choosing a pilates mat
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

freestyler
Posted 2008-04-27 2:01 PM (#106722)
Subject: Choosing a pilates mat

Hi,

I am new to pilates and need to buy a mat. Is there anything I need to consider when choosing this. Are they the same as yoga mats? What difference to the different thinknesses make?

I am nearly 6'2" tall, how long should the mat be?

Many thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kapotasana
Posted 2008-05-24 12:20 PM (#107832 - in reply to #106722)
Subject: RE: Choosing a pilates mat

You will definitely want a thicker mat for pilates than you would for yoga.
That said, I like Hugger Muggers Tapas Ultra mat for both yoga and pilates, but in general I think most people would prefer something thicker than that for pilates. Stott Pilates has really nice mats. Often in my class I will have people use two or three yoga mats for pilates, but of course it would be much cheaper to purchase a "pilates mat" than a few different yoga mats
I find a thicker mat is typically needed because of the rolling exercises (rolling like a ball, open leg rocker, the seal, etc., I've noticed that if I don't have a thick enough Mat I really hurt my tailbone), also a thicker mat is helpful for exercises like the roll up that require sequencing through the spine, and some prone exercises that tend to put a preassure on the ASIS and cause discomfort for some

Edited by Kapotasana 2008-05-24 12:24 PM
vitalflow
Posted 2008-05-27 8:05 AM (#107898 - in reply to #106722)

Yes, a yoga mat can be a bit thin for the rolling exercises. I don't know where you are, but I have just picked up a brillian exercise mat for £10 from Tesco! Camping mats are a cheap option and should be plenty long enough for you. They tend not to have quite the grip that a yoga mat would have though, but in class some people put a thin cheap yoga mat over the camping mat and it is still much cheaper than a basic yoga mat. You can get great Pilates mats on the internet if you want to spend £28! Not much if you are going to be using it for the rest of your life!!
audrina
Posted 2009-04-29 11:55 AM (#115615 - in reply to #106722)

I definitely agree that thicker mats are better for pilates exercises. I bought a yoga mat and also did pilates exercises on it but my tailbone really hurt with certain exercises. With the thicker mat I have now (also a quite cheap one) I have no problem. How long have you been doing pilates?
I've started with it after hearing that Kate Winslet does pilates too and I am a big fan of her. Probably a stupid reason But I really like it!
Now I've also started with yoga which I enjoy doing too.

Posted 2010-04-06 8:30 AM (#122261 - in reply to #106722)

i know that pilates may always get your body better...
http://www.da-pialtes.co.il
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)