YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dharana
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

yogisunam
Posted 2008-04-25 2:31 PM (#106635)
Subject: Dharana

Patanjali's 6th Limb, the one of concentration on a fixed point which is a stepping to stone to the grand prize, samadhi.

I'd love to hear what people's interpretations or experiences with this have been...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-04-27 3:21 AM (#106707 - in reply to #106635)
Subject: RE: Dharana

Dharana is NOT concentration on Fixed Point. Patanjali has given more than enough definition to eliminate all discussion on this topic.

deshbandhaH chittasya Dharana. That means confinement of chitta in a given space (space can be empty or an object within or without the body) is Dharana which is Holding of mind in a particular space.

yogisunam - 2008-04-25 2:31 PM

Patanjali's 6th Limb, the one of concentration on a fixed point which is a stepping to stone to the grand prize, samadhi.

I'd love to hear what people's interpretations or experiences with this have been...
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-04-27 3:21 AM (#106708 - in reply to #106635)

tourist
Posted 2008-04-27 11:17 AM (#106717 - in reply to #106708)

Expert Yogi

Interesting question, anne marie. Which translation of the sutras are you using? It is interesting how different they can be from each other.
seeker
Posted 2008-04-30 1:09 PM (#106819 - in reply to #106707)

kulkarnn - 2008-04-27 3:21 AM

Dharana is NOT concentration on Fixed Point. Patanjali has given more than enough definition to eliminate all discussion on this topic.

deshbandhaH chittasya Dharana. That means confinement of chitta in a given space (space can be empty or an object within or without the body) is Dharana which is Holding of mind in a particular space.

Which is better, holding it to an object within, such as god's name? Or, is an image better than word?
yogisunam
Posted 2008-05-01 6:17 PM (#106880 - in reply to #106635)

It was in Light on Yoga, so Iyengar's translation of dharana. From my understanding it's like a pre-samadhi. I can't remember if samadhi is total consciousness or awareness, but in dharana you are still conscience that you are aware. Or vice versa.

That's VERY basic language, but it's indicative of my understanding of the concept.
yogisunam
Posted 2008-05-01 6:22 PM (#106882 - in reply to #106635)

I also want to add, that I am more interested in what your experiences have been. What does it look like for you? I don't have my own words to describe my experiences. Or I tend to discount my experiences.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-05-02 5:17 AM (#106900 - in reply to #106819)

That depends on the person who is meditating. yathaabhimatadhyaanaadvaa... Chapter 1.

seeker - 2008-04-30 1:09 PM

kulkarnn - 2008-04-27 3:21 AM

Which is better, holding it to an object within, such as god's name? Or, is an image better than word?
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-05-02 5:22 AM (#106901 - in reply to #106635)

Everything is 'presamaadhi' because 'samaadhi is the culmination of Yoga Practice.

Dharana when practiced sufficiently experiences like 'easy focussing at will' and 'control over senses' in appropriate amount.

Samadhi when experienced really, looks like 'satisfied personality' in general. That is lack of craving while still being active in life. This experience is NOT when one is actually in samadhi, but a result of that experiece in general life.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)