YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

income question
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

majesticyoga
Posted 2008-04-17 1:20 PM (#106382)
Subject: income question

Greetings again, everyone.

So, I was curious about your thoughts and opinions about a common theme among us teachers. . . income. We all know that this is not the career that earns 6 figures; not that I'd necessarily want that anyway. Quite honestly, I'd teach for free 100% of the time if I could afford it! I'm fortunate enough to have 7 classes on my schedule currently, for which I am paid on a per class basis. On the side, I sell eye pillows that I make and I offer private and small group lessons. I absolutely LOVE what I do. I get spontaneous positive feedback from my students regularly. My Husband is active duty US Navy. We eventually want to start a family and move to Ireland. Although my husband isn't concerned about money and would much rather me be happy in what I do (aren't I lucky?!), I can't seem to relax about being concerned about how I'd like to be contributing more to the household financially, particularly so we can save more for our future plans. Long story short (too late!), any ideas about building more income as a yoga instructor, or in some kind of related capacity? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks very much!
~Kate
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2008-04-17 3:38 PM (#106386 - in reply to #106382)
Subject: RE: income question

Hi Kate,
Well, if you are thinking about starting a family, what you are already committed to-seven classes, may well be a challenge already. If you move to Ireland, you automatically remove the possibility of free child support from family-but then again, you make friends and perhaps get a network going. I guess that depends on luck and the area you move to .
When you get to Ireland, perhaps advertise in Britain for yoga retreats? And set up a centre that is renowned in Ireland for the quality of its teachers and the building itself-a blueprint for a good yoga centre.
You definitely sound like you have the right attitude for a great yoga teacher and co-ordinator of a yoga centre-sometimes you can tell that from a paragraph Hope all your future plans for children and making a living from yoga go brilliantly!

Nick

Posted 2008-04-17 9:06 PM (#106398 - in reply to #106382)

majesticyoga - 2008-04-17 10:20 AM

I can't seem to relax about being concerned about how I'd like to be contributing more to the household financially, particularly so we can save more for our future plans.
~Kate

I'm not sure what the issue is? Do you want to make more money? Or do you want to relax and let go of your concerns about the contribution you are making to the household?

Vic
majesticyoga
Posted 2008-04-17 10:23 PM (#106403 - in reply to #106398)

Vic: Well, to be honest I'd like to make more money. However, I suppose it would be good to also let go of the concerns about money and not worry so much about it. Sorry for being so wishy-washy!

Nick: Thanks very much for such kind comments!

Edited by majesticyoga 2008-04-17 10:25 PM

Posted 2008-04-19 1:24 AM (#106439 - in reply to #106382)

we live on a single income (my husband's) and what i earn goes three ways: my school debt, my business (yoga), and our savings.

my other contributions to the household include caring for the home, caring for the wellbeing of myself, my husband and our child (currently in utero), and in general being an equal partner.

my business earns money in three ways currently: 1. classes and private lessons; 2. workshops, retreats, and teacher training; and 3. consulting. this third part is new. i noticed that a lot of newbie yoga teachers don't know the business, and so i do "yoga and holistic practices business consulting." i just came up with a rate and it's been pretty good so far. i mean, people are happy with my work. i'm also considering starting a free publication related to yoga (which is paid for by advertising).

we'll see, though. i mean, right now, i'm just interested in having the baby and being a stay-at-home mom for a bit, then seeing when i want to go back to teaching, how often, etc. i don't feel the need to contribute financially in order to feel great in my relationship/household, and being a SAHP is something that we both value highly.

Bakasana
Posted 2008-04-29 7:53 PM (#106780 - in reply to #106382)

I am not a teacher (yet), but I work as a studio manager, and in that position I have seen many times how teachers who are fully present in the classes they teach reap financial rewards for that engagement.
It may sound ridiculously simple, but . . . For example, teachers who regularly remind students of their other classes and workshops usually have the largest and most regular class sizes and workshops, add more students if you have a website and email students consistently.
Also, communicating your goals to your front desk (if you have one) goes a long way. We are the face of the yoga studio, and when teachers let me know things like they are getting certification in prenatal or they really love working with beginners, that helps us send more students your way.
Also, I have seen the importance of being aware of the needs of your students- sometimes new classes and workshops can be a vehicle for the ego of a teacher (or studio owner) The workshop that consistently sells out at our studio is Intro to Yoga, and it is difficult to get teachers interested in teaching it. Conversely, I see teachers with great enthusiasm to teach a workshop or intensive near to their heart that their students may not be ready for yet.
Just some thoughts from a different perspective, you are likely doing all these things already but hopefully it will benefit someone!
I struggle with this myself and am currently spending much time meditating on aparigraha.

Posted 2008-04-29 9:08 PM (#106783 - in reply to #106382)

while those tips definitely increase class size, they don't necessarily increase income. at many studios and gyms, it doesn't matter if i have 1 or 20 students, i get paid the same amount.

now, at the studio where i rent the space, i get paid per student over the rental fee. this means that the larger the class, the more money i make. so, all of those things definitely help in this sort of arrangement, but most studios do not offer this sort of arrangement.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)