YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lemon & Honey - juice or salad
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

Satvic
Posted 2008-04-16 5:40 AM (#106305)
Subject: Lemon & Honey - juice or salad

Greetings!

I've read somewhere that drinking a glass of lemon juice with honey in the morning is (simply put) good for your health. There are a number of recipes as well as opinions, but they all suggest that only the juice of the lemon should be used as a component, not it's peal. Now, since my childhood I've been told that a peal of lemon also carries quite a lot vitamins; some even say the peal is more beneficial for your body than the pulp. Which brings us to my question -

Which is better? To drink the juice of the lemon with some honey (and warm water as some suggest), or to chop the lemon into a salad, cover it with honey and eat it? Certainly there is a difference. And I hope someone here can explain it =) I'd appreciate any opinion!

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-04-16 7:50 AM (#106312 - in reply to #106305)
Subject: RE: Lemon & Honey - juice or salad

Hi Satvic, I like lemon and use them in my cooking. I don't think I would want to munch on lemons everyday though. They are so acidic that they can dissolve the enamel on your teeth.
tourist
Posted 2008-04-16 10:11 AM (#106318 - in reply to #106305)
Subject: RE: Lemon & Honey - juice or s

Expert Yogi

Cyndi is our honey expert and surely will chime in. Basically, the difference is that they will have different effects. Honey and lemon in the am in warm water is intended to jump start digestion. Vitamin and other benefits are side effects. If you are looking for vitamins only, either way would work, I"m sure. If you are looking for a substitute for coffee in the am for awakening the digestive system, I am sure the water thing would work better than a salad. But you could try both and see how you feel about it!
Cyndi
Posted 2008-04-17 9:28 AM (#106365 - in reply to #106318)

Expert Yogi

I use lemons for all sorts of reasons. Lemons according to TCM is the most valuable fruit therapeutically for persons who eat a high-fat/protein diet. Lemons basically cut the fat. Destroys bacteria, cleanses the blood, promotes weight loss, treats high blood pressure, alleviates flatulence and indigestion. Lemons also increase the production of fluids in the body, treats sore throats, coughing, cramps and diabetes (sp??). It reduces the effects of summer heat. It's really good for the kidneys and liver function. Soo many other things.

Lemon juice in salads is very common. It helps destroy parasites. What I do is wash lettuce in Grapefruit seed extract (which also has the same properties as lemon). It really cleans produce by removing dirt and worms (lettuce is really bad for pinworms!!).

Lemons will remove the onion smell off your hands after chopping onions. It also removes fish smells and is the reason it is put on baked fish.

So, when taken with honey, there's all kinds of possibilities. Honey has some of the same properties with the exception of lemons being of sour flavor, honey being of sweet. Honey is a universal everything!!! I have to start another thread about honey....wait, I think we did already, You can treat wounds using lemons, but honey is even better!! Lemons and honey have mucus-resolving actions which makes it useful for colds, dysentery, flus, parasite infections and weight loss. Lemons remove stagnated qi in the body.

Applied externally, use it to heal sores, it can relieve itching from insect bites (YES, THIS INCLUDES BEE STINGS BB) and you can even soften corns on your feet (I guess that's where they are, ) using a poultice.

Anything else??? Did I miss something???

Oh yea, Shelly your're right about stripping the enamel off your teeth, OUCH. It gives me the creeps just thinking about it. It's worse than the finger nails on the chalk board!!

Also....my recipe for lemon tea with honey. This is a great "gentle" spring cleanse and is great for your liver...which is related to the Spring Season.

I boil water and peel a lemon. I take the peels and toss it with the boiling water or place the peels in the tea pot with the water. I let it steep forever and sip on it all morning long adding a touch of honey along the way. This is a great aid for shedding winter pounds and building up your body in time for Spring and Summer. Since lemons are cooling, they will keep you cool during the warmer months ahead. This is why I don't use an air conditioner, because I eat the correct food to balance it. Although.....sometimes in Hot Lanta it don't matter what the heck you do, its gonna get HOT!! Then you have to break out the watermelon...and maybe some Captain Morgan's along with it too, heehee, hence the name...The Watermelon Crawl,

Okay, to answer the OP's original question. Sorry, I tend to get really sidetracked, LOL. The difference between just eating a salad with lemon vs. drinking a lemon tea or whatever, IMO, the tea serves as a tonic for your liver, your entire body as I stated above. Eating a salad with lemon is also beneficial in the fact that salad's are generally cleansing anyway. Lemon juice with lettuce is healthy and aids in the function of the salad, which relieves the body of summer heat and high-fat proteins - among other things too. Lettuce actually has similar healing properties. Lettuce is cooling and is used to balance the diet. When I was in Italy, we ate Ensalada every evening. We ate pasta and heavier foods in the daytime. Balsamic Vinegar and Vinegar in general has almost the same properties as Lemons do. In fact, if you ever run out of vinegar, use lemon. Or visa versa. So, there is really no cut and dry answer. They both serve a good purpose.

Edited by Cyndi 2008-04-17 9:50 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2008-04-17 10:06 AM (#106369 - in reply to #106305)

Expert Yogi

I meant to add, there is no cut and dry answer to which one is better. There is no better or worse, it's whatever you need at that moment.

When you start learning about food cures and food as medicine, you learn that even lemons and honey can be BAD for you. In fact, Neel will come along shortly and debunk everything I said. Because he is also right. My opinion is that everything has a purpose and if you eat anything long term, which includes drinking green tea, coffee, Indian Chai, even as simple as eating Strawberries, Apples, Grapes, and yes, I have a hard time typing this, HONEY, eventually would be bad for you. That is why you should learn the medicinal properties of food, your own body's constitution or learn how to read your body and have a clear understanding of what that means, so that way you can eat the right foods and variety and balance is the key.
Satvic
Posted 2008-04-17 4:58 PM (#106390 - in reply to #106369)
Subject: ---

A hell of an answer, Cyndi =)

Thank you all very much! That was quite informative. I'll put more stock in lemons from now on =) Will be experimenting with lemon drinks vs salad though. Want to feel the effects of both, compare, analyze and pick which is better =) And by 'salad' I meant only chopped lemon mixed with honey (and properly stomped), nothing else.

I still have one question! My father (who is a walking library on all sorts of stuff) says that honey looses all/some of it's beneficial effects if heated over a certain level. I read the same in some articles. And a few even suggest it becomes poisonous at high temperatures. So my question is - what's the safety limit? What's the allowed maximum temperature of the liquid I'm the mixing the honey with?

tourist
Posted 2008-04-17 7:02 PM (#106393 - in reply to #106390)
Subject: RE: ---

Expert Yogi

I am surprised that Cyndi didn't mention that. I seem to recall something like 105 degrees F??? She'll come on and confirm that, though.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-04-17 7:27 PM (#106394 - in reply to #106305)

Tourist, at first glance I thought you were upset about something and swearing. Oh, fahrenheit, thats it.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-04-17 10:39 PM (#106405 - in reply to #106394)

Expert Yogi

She was upset cause I didn't post the temperature for the honey. Geez, I should start charging yoga.com for my "expert yogi" advice, not to mention now we entering into my real expertise - HONEY What's really bad is the other day I went to look up Timoor (a Nepali spice that you can only get from Nepal). I was going to send someone a link. The first google that came up was my very own post to yoga.com a couple of years ago when ZB and I were talking about it. I was like, OMG. Too funny. Just think, we are the pioneers here, hahaha, 100 years from now all our information will be either be buried, or we'll be the first to pop up on google because of all the hits, or our posts will be historical in some strange way.

Okay, here we go..sorry about that. I told you I get sidetracked and I really hate staying on topic, I think it adds to the conversation...rather than being boring....don't ya think??

105 degrees is a good range. That really is a guideline for beekeepers who heat their honey to get the moisture out, and/or for when honey has crystalized, you can heat it up to get it dissolve. Personally, when honey does that, I would discard it. Usually that honey has been laced with sugar either by a dishonest beekeeper, or from honey where the hive was fed sugar syrup during a honeyflow. Chinese and Indian honey is notorius for this practice. In fact, Chinese honey is pretty much banned in the USA anyway.

When your putting honey in your hot tea or coffee, whatever...I used to be really anal about waiting for it to cool down - especially for chai and coffee, now days I'm either lazy or impatient, I never use boiling water for my green tea or my lemon tonic tea is already cooled down when I get ready to add the honey, but, it's up to you. I have a Zojirushi hot water dispenser, which keeps the water hot, but not boiled. I keep it at 203. By the time my tea or coffee (I french press) brews, it has cooled down alot. So, I'm safe either way I feel. It's not like you are boiling or cooking the crap out of the honey for a long period of time. So, having that all said. In TCM (traditional chinese medicine) heated honey and raw honey both have different healing properties. To get the real maximum benefit of the minerals and vitamins, raw honey is best. Heated honey moistens dryness and treats dry or hoarse throat and dry cough. Both heated and raw work naturally to harmonize the liver, neutrilize toxins and even relieves pain. In addition, treating stomach ulcers, canker sores, high blood pressure and constipation.

Raw honey drys up mucus conditions, damp conditions which includes edema and too much weight. Which means that heated honey should not be given to persons with mucus conditions.

So generally speaking, I never heat my honey. In fact, I eat it straight from the hive, I mean that literally. It's a fun day around here when I'm extracting honey,
tourist
Posted 2008-04-18 9:52 AM (#106409 - in reply to #106405)

Expert Yogi

Yep, I was swearing at the one major industrialized country in the world that doesn't use metric!
Satvic
Posted 2008-04-19 12:07 PM (#106447 - in reply to #106305)
Subject: ---

Great =) Will keep all that in mind. Thanks!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)