YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Medical effects of meditation
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

Asanamama
Posted 2008-04-15 6:01 PM (#106286)
Subject: Medical effects of meditation

I was really surprised to come across this list of conditions for which meditation has been scientifically proven beneficial: http://www.rvita.com/remedies/wellness/meditation/?ccat_id=130 I can certainly think of other conditions I'd add that perhaps it's too difficult to wrap (I first wrote warp, lol) the scientific method around - but I was just generally impressed that there's so much PROOF and yet doctors aren't referring people to meditation teachers...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-04-16 5:40 PM (#106340 - in reply to #106286)
Subject: RE: Medical effects of meditation

This website lists "Unclear scientific evidence for this use" for every catagory. This is not scientific evidence that meditation is beneficial. Although I believe that meditation can be beneficial for stress reduction and other medical uses, real research needs to be done. Many physicians are now prescribing yoga asanas for stress reduction, chronic lower back pain, asthma and other medical conditions. It really is time for some valid scientific studies to seperate the facts from the myths (myths both for and against many yogic practices). Yoga needs to enter the 21st century!
Ram
Posted 2008-04-17 12:37 PM (#106378 - in reply to #106286)

how can scientific instruments measure your relationship to consciousness. That is what meditation is. I for one am not waiting for science to validate what my experience with meditation has been for 15 years. The proof is in how I feel and the changes I have experienced. I dont need the seal of approval from the scientific community. There is some proof anyway and the film "what the bleep" gives you a real interesting perspective form that point of view.

Dont hold your breath on doctors using meditation as a tool for their patients. Its simply something that they cant corner the market on. Drug prescriptions are more profitable and something they can corner the market on.

Posted 2008-04-17 2:56 PM (#106385 - in reply to #106378)

Ram,
Your meditation obviously hasn't helped your cynical attitude towards others.
Jim
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)