YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

what form of yoga?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

zenistaga
Posted 2008-04-11 9:41 PM (#106154)
Subject: what form of yoga?

i want to go through teacher training and certification this summer and have always been very drawn to Kripalu School of yoga but didnt really know much about kripalu yoga at all. im not even sure if thats the type of yoga i do. the classes i attend are ashtanga but my personal practice is Shiva Rea dvd's. what would that be considered? i want to choose the right school for my right yoga style. i enjoy shiva rea's style of yoga tremendously and would love to teach that form of yoga. anyone know what that is?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2008-04-11 10:04 PM (#106155 - in reply to #106154)
Subject: RE: what form of yoga?

According to www.shivarae.com she has her own teacher training. There's a 200 hour and a 500 hour program. There is also a link to Kripalu Teacher Training.

Duffy

Posted 2008-04-13 8:52 PM (#106194 - in reply to #106154)

kripalu is more of a method or approach than style. kripalu teachers often teach a variety of styles (some vinyasa forms, others "static" forms--some gentle, some very 'vigorous' and so on).

you can learn about kripalu method, a bit, from their web site. it's a good school. you get a good foundation, but have to specialize on your own (with vinyasa or whatever else--many develop their own "style" over time).

Posted 2008-04-14 12:19 AM (#106200 - in reply to #106154)

Zenistaga,

Why not take a Kripalu class and see what you think first hand? I seem to recall that they encouraged people to take kripalu classes - or at the very least view their DVD's.

I looked at Shiva Rea also - just because she was more local to me - and studied with some teachers of the lineage I was more interested in. But I don't know who she considers to be her teacher now - seems like she has more of her own thing going.

I think if you are not drawn to a particular lineage you might consider waiting - purnayoga explains this better in other posts. But picking a teacher training program isn't quite the same as deciding whether you want a hot pink or red sweater. Programs offer incredibly different emphasis - and you'll be wearing this one along time and/or scrapping it and starting all over.

Best wishes.
Vic

Posted 2008-04-14 2:01 AM (#106207 - in reply to #106154)

Curious, what draws you to Kripalu when you don't know much about it?

The phrase "meditation in motion" gets used a lot when describing Kripalu and it's pretty apt. I would say there is also a lot of focus on doing what is right for you at any given time and making it your own. (Even if it's not Kripalu - if you look at the schedule of workshops and teachers there you will see they are all over the place - including well known Ashtanga teachers, and Shiva Rea seems to be there a couple times a year. She actually offers parts of her teacher training there. It's kinda like the UN of yoga.)

There are a lot of Kripalu certified instructors in my area (as I live a few hours away), and many others influenced by it through some of their teachers. While there's a certain common feel it's definitely true everyone seems to develop their own style. It's like it's kind of a vanilla base to start from.

Your typical Kripalu class probably won't be too much like an Ashtanga class or Shiva Rea, Kripalu tends to be less vigorous and less flow. They're concious of alignment, but nowhere near to the extent of Iyengar or Anusara. The daily Kripalu classes offered at Kripalu range from gentle to vigorous, again so people can get what they need.

I've looked at the teacher training info, occasionally toying with the idea myself, and as I recall they definitely want you to have some level of experience with Kripalu classses.

Edited by aystam 2008-04-14 2:06 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)