YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

flat neck and headstand
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

OrangeMat
Posted 2008-04-28 8:12 AM (#106734 - in reply to #106223)
Subject: RE: flat neck and headstand

Well, I met with my teacher on Friday, and learned a couple things about headstand that I hadn't known. One in particular was that I was wrong in trying to keep my elbows bent at 90 degrees. They're supposed to bend more than that, so that the shoulders go forward past my elbows. I never knew that. Or at least I had never been specifically taught that. Guess I have some deep-seated fixation with right angles, I don't know....

Regardless, my teacher said that the curve in my neck is just fine, and I need to work melting the space between my shoulderblades more without allowing my lowerback to over-curve -- my usual prescription, so it wasn't anything radically new there. After half a dozen attempts, the last one did feel remarkably easeful, and I definitely did not feel any pain in my neck or head during the entire session, so it was all good. We'll see how this morning's class goes, equipped with this somewhat new information and insight.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
jim b
Posted 2008-04-28 9:44 PM (#106746 - in reply to #106066)

I passed approx 31 mos. of daily headstand recently, and have found a lot of comfort there. Times I have felt like a top with the tiniest contact at the floor.

Then it feels a little giddy and I have to go back to that firm iron triangle of elbows and arms.

I used to fall over now and then, but it never did hurt. I just go back up again.

I used to time it but quit that because it was distracting. I generally stay up until pain starts to creep in, maybe in the back muscles, maybe the rib cage. I just curl out and down and enjoy the rest of the little series. Plough is very comforting as a followup.

Somewhere on this site I read a little tip about rotating the forearms out for better support. It really solidified my stance.

spyrotone
Posted 2008-04-30 9:46 AM (#106812 - in reply to #106734)

Good news. Good adaptation.

If you're having trouble with the over-curvature of your lower back, try lacing the ribs together tightly and holding them.

Emil
nucleareggset
Posted 2008-04-30 9:54 PM (#106828 - in reply to #106812)

spyrotone - 2008-04-30 9:46 AM

Good news. Good adaptation.

If you're having trouble with the over-curvature of your lower back, try lacing the ribs together tightly and holding them.

Emil

what do you mean by "lacing the ribs together"? even as a teacher, I have difficulty with this sort of imaginative language, because the ribs are parallel rods of bone - they're not going to lace.

if you're talking about contracting the seratus anterior, which connects the rib cage (from the 1st through 8th rib, anyway), to bring the lower ribs closer to the scapulae (which you hold in place with the other muscles of the shoulder girdle)... that might effect a slight posterior shift of the rib cage, and prevent the thoracic from arching towards a backbend?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)